PDA

View Full Version : Posterior, closed cervix at 38 weeks and 4 days

flashy09
11-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Had my cervix checked (which was 10x worse than when I had it checked two weeks ago...tons of pressure and it took a long time) and Dr said it was closed and posterior. Does this mean there is very little chance of giving birth before my due date (12/2) or can things change very quickly?

BabyBearsMom
11-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Things can change pretty quickly or they can go really slowly. I know that I walked around 2 or 3 cm dialated for over a week when I was PG with DD. The baby will come when he/she is good and ready and all you can do is sit back and wait. Enjoy the quiet time while you can!

MSWR0319
11-23-2011, 09:59 AM
I have a friend who walked around 4cm dilated for 5 weeks. She ended up delivering at 41 weeks. She kept bragging to me how she was going to go before me (she was due two weeks after me). I ended up going a week early. Another friend was at maybe 1 cm and delivered the next night. Moral of the story, one can never tell! It just happens : )

Simon
11-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Things can change very quickly. I have preemies, but generally have no cervical changes until the few days/hours before labor begins.

However, if this is a first baby, you are more likely to go to due date or beyond. Women's bodies seem to take longer going through the stages of a first labor/birth. Women with very fast first labors are an exception.

SnuggleBuggles
11-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Things can change. However, I would totally advocate not having cervical checks. They won't tell you anything that is really necessary. You could be 3-4cm for weeks or closed and go into labor 2 hours later. You can feel disappointed, encouraged, like a ticking time bomb...all from some numbers that don't tell you much of anything. Maybe you can know how far you have to go when labor starts but even then some women are really pokey getting into active labor even if they start at 3cm while others zip by.

In my 2 pregnancies I did the 1st one textbook with regular checks. I started to get so sad/ mad/ disappointed when week after week there was no change. I was 2cm, 70% and -1 for weeks. Yes, I went past my EDD (42w) so I was hearing the same results for over a month. With ds2 I opted to get no checks. The only one I got was at 41w4d and I was 2cm and barely effaced. I was in labor 3 hours later. No idea how long I had been dilated at all and it obviously didn't really matter. Sucky thing was that as much as I knew #s don't matter, I left that appointment upset! I was sure I should at least be at 3-4! For me, it was so much better not knowing. Your body will do what it needs to do, when it needs to do it. Be patient and mentally move your EDD back. That's what a wise mom told me when I was pg with ds1. Prepare for 42w and hope for sooner. I think it really helped me because I was counting down to a more realistic goal.

I personally loved going late since all was well with us. I had a bit more time! Movies, quick errands, dates...I packed it all in as much as I could those last weeks with both boys. :) Not to say you'll go late...who the heck knows? Your cervical stats can't predict it. Kick back and know things will happen when they are supposed to.

One thing that would be valuable to know is baby's position though. That is most important. Ask if baby is posterior, anterior...as I found out with ds1, a posterior baby can make you more likely to go late. You can work on baby's position by doing things on your hands and knees and not lounging back on the couch. (check out the spinning babies website for info.) The baby's position is one of the biggest factors in labor and it is one of the least commonly addressed by mainstream care providers.

Beth

Melaine
11-23-2011, 10:09 AM
I agree with skipping the cervical checks if possible. Not only are they inconclusive, but my friend ended up having her singleton earlier than her twins because her midwife accidentally broke her water from a rough exam at over three weeks before her due date. My plan is to skip them if possible.

And as a Mama to preemies, I have to say, (and probably sound obnoxious), don't rush it! It's so wonderful to have full-term babies, just try to relax and wait it out and realize that things really will be easier the longer the baby bakes.

Katigre
11-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Had my cervix checked (which was 10x worse than when I had it checked two weeks ago...tons of pressure and it took a long time) and Dr said it was closed and posterior. Does this mean there is very little chance of giving birth before my due date (12/2) or can things change very quickly?
I had a posterier, closed cervix up until I went into labor with each child - I didn't dilate at all beforehand.

Remember that there is not a 'due date' but a 'due range' that goes from 38-42 weeks. Just like the 'average' woman is 5'5, but the majority of women are a little taller or a little shorter - same goes for gestational length.

Some women carry for longer, some women carry for shorter. I know two women who went into labor with *all* of their children at 38 weeks b/c that's how long their body is made to carry babies (7 babies between them!). I know another two women who go to 42+ weeks with each pregnancy, and in their family history there are a number of women who had 43 week pregnancies.

Then you have moms somewhere in the middle at 40-41 weeks. That is where the majority of moms fall.

I would advise you to decline cervical checks - they will just cause pain (literal pain - those things hurt!) and make you anxious. Your dilation does NOT mean anything. I had a friend walking around a 5cm dilated for two weeks without going into labor. Another who was 3cm for 5 weeks before going into labor!

Yet here I was, 0cm dilated and I went into labor at 39 weeks with each child.

Patience is really hard when you're at the end of pregnancy and just feel 'done', so it might help to reframe your due date from 12/2 to 12/10 to give yourself an extra week of buffer. I used to tell people my due date was "Sometime in _____ month" so that people wouldn't bug me about the exact date ;).

SnuggleBuggles
11-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Patience is really hard when you're at the end of pregnancy and just feel 'done', so it might help to reframe your due date from 12/2 to 12/10 to give yourself an extra week of buffer. I used to tell people my due date was "Sometime in _____ month" so that people wouldn't bug me about the exact date ;).

I lied about my EDD with all but my best friend with ds2! I padded it by 2 weeks. Made the end so much more peaceful!!

Beth

flashy09
11-23-2011, 10:43 AM
I am definitely done with the checks! I had one at 36 with the group b test because I figured I was already undressed and exposed I might as well see if anything was going on. Then yesterday I was just curious - and the first check was quick and painless so I thought why not.

My baby was posterior at 32 weeks. I don't know if she has changed since then. Can the Dr tell without a scan? Nothing has been mentioned except that she is head down (he had my husband feel her head yesterday) for sure, but not sure if still posterior.

I have felt a little crampy and achy since the exam - can it trigger contractions? He really had to reach way in and push down. I should have said beforehand if the cervix is hard to reach, don't bother! But it's my first pregnancy and all this is new!

Katigre
11-23-2011, 10:45 AM
This site has good information - check out their 'baby positions' and 'techniques' tabs for things to do. http://www.spinningbabies.com/

FWIW, following their recommendations helped me avoid interventions in my second birth - the baby was malpositioned which seriously stalled my labor and we did the 'lift and tuck' technique which got everything going quickly!

SnuggleBuggles
11-23-2011, 10:54 AM
I always liked this link even more than Spinning Babies for practical things to do before and in labor to help optimize baby's position:
http://motherspirit.net/articles/pregnancy/preventpost.htm

Yes, they can tell just from feeling around. And if they can't, they need to brush up on their basics. :)

Cramps, aches, discharge...those can all happen after an exam.

Believe me, I totally get the curiosity especially with a 1st baby. We say on here all the time to just say no to internals but I think most people really like knowing...regardless of what they find out. GL however it plays out!!

Beth

daisymommy
11-23-2011, 12:22 PM
I agree with the PP about no more checks. They really don't tell you anything, don't predict the future, can cause more harm than good, and and be a huge emotional let down.

With all of my babies, I walk around at 5cm. dilated for a solid month. Then at 7cm. for a week. No joke. I'm told I have a cervix of steel ;) But if I had cervical checks (and didnt know my own history) I might have been told at 5cm. to go to the hospital because baby was coming any time now, I would have been there for a month! Or pushed to have pitocin or a c-section because I was taking too long, or put on bedrest. But over time, I have learned this is just what *my* body does, and not to fret about it.

My very first baby was posterior, with a hand up over his head. I pushed him out without too much trouble, and only had an epidural during the last hour of labor. So please don't let anyone tell you you can't have a vaginal birth with a posterior baby. If I can do it with my first one, anyone can!

hoodlims
11-23-2011, 12:39 PM
You never know. Are you in a hurry to make it on or before your due date? I was 41 weeks with my first and at the time, remember feeling antsy and bored. My 2nd is due on Dec 6th, and I now prefer it to be late, because I enjoy my sleep!

So no worries, just tell yourself baby might be late, and SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP!

MSWR0319
11-23-2011, 02:17 PM
I agree with the PP about no more checks. They really don't tell you anything, don't predict the future, can cause more harm than good, and and be a huge emotional let down.

With all of my babies, I walk around at 5cm. dilated for a solid month. Then at 7cm. for a week. No joke. I'm told I have a cervix of steel ;) But if I had cervical checks and was told at 5cm. to go to the hospital because baby was coming any time now, I would have been there for a month! Or pushed to have pitocin or a c-section because I was taking too long, or put on bedrest. But over time, I have learned this is just what *my* body does, and not to fret about it.

My very fist baby was posterior, with a hand up over his head. I pushed him out without too much trouble, and only had an epidural during the last hour of labor. So please don't let anyone tell you you can't have a vaginal birth with a
posterior baby. If I can do it with my first one, anyone can!
:yeahthat:

My son (first child) was posterior. It was a long labor, about 35 hrs, but not too bad. I did it with no meds ( not everyone's choice, just giving you a point of reference) so don't let them talk you into anything just because baby is posterior.

brittone2
11-23-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm not a fan of cervical checks (on my own body) either.

I had them with DS1. I walked around 2-3 cm dilated and 70-80 percent effaced for 3+ weeks, with lots of back contractions during that time. I ended up in labor at 39w1d.

With DD I declined cervical checks. I had an appt on my EDD and they pressured me into doing one. I was barely dilated (1 cm or less). I went into labor the following evening. It meant nothing. Oh, and that labor was 3 hours long and I wasn't sure I was in labor for a good bit of that. So I dilated *fast* after that appt, kwim?

With DS2 I declined cervical checks. I had one at the very start of labor (HB with a midwife) and I was already 5-6 cm. I didn't have one for the rest of my labor. He came on his EDD.

FOr me, they were not at *all* predictive.

flashy09
11-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks, this has been very helpful! Wish I hadn't gotten them done now, but at least I feel hopeful it doesn't mean I am doomed to go way over due. My mom is gone from the 2nd to the 9th of December and I am due the 2nd so I am hoping she comes before then although I think being a first time mom I will probably go at least the full 40 weeks (unless that is just a myth).

I will go look at those websites and see what I can do to help if she is still posterior. Will ask my Dr next week - hoping he would have mentioned it if she was and the fact he didn't means she is facing the right way.

daisymommy
11-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Just an FYI...I was a full week overdue with #3, despite being 5 or so cm. dilated for weeks. You just never can tell!

The only reason I consent to 1 check a month prior is to make sure I'm not more dilated than that (given my history). Otherwise I still say, no cervical checks!

We will cross our fingers for you that it all works out with the ting of your mom being there. I had a very similar situation last time. But I would absolutely have a back up support person in mind in case baby didn't get the due date memo ;) that "on the clock feeling is so stressful, I hate it."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBaxter
11-23-2011, 05:57 PM
LOL agreed with everyone skip the checks. I was over due with all 4. We mutually agreed to induce Jack at 41 weeks due to size. ( he ended up 10lb1oz) I was maybe 2 and 50% at 41weeks. Induction took 13hrs.

edurnemk
11-23-2011, 06:03 PM
That really doesn't mean anything in terms of when you'll go into labor. I had a closed cervix up until I went into labor. I didn't make it to my due date, DS was born at exactly 38 weeks, and it was a very fast labor (7.5 hours from first contraction until he came out). In fact some people believe there's no point in having your cervix checked.

I think being a first time mom I will probably go at least the full 40 weeks (unless that is just a myth).

It is a myth. DS is my first (38 weeks), my mom never made to her due date (I'm the first born and was a week early).

ETA: DS was posterior, my OB managed to turn him eventually. I also did it with no meds or epidural.

swissair81
11-23-2011, 10:15 PM
I was dilated with 3 of mine for weeks before I went into labor. The 4th (my 2nd baby) was born a month early and my cervix was closed tight until my baby suddenly decided she was ready.

Also, I had a posterior baby. I didn't even know it until the baby was out. The labor was slightly longer, but not more painful. The pushing was a little uncomfortable, but I had no tears and a good doctor should know how to turn the baby.

flashy09
11-24-2011, 04:57 PM
The thing that confuses me is that the cervix check at 36 weeks was a breeze. Seemed to be right there and no pain or pressure. This one the Dr seemed to go in to the elbow and there was tons of pressure and discomfort. I feel like I am getting less close to labor rather than closer!

JBaxter
11-24-2011, 09:12 PM
The thing that confuses me is that the cervix check at 36 weeks was a breeze. Seemed to be right there and no pain or pressure. This one the Dr seemed to go in to the elbow and there was tons of pressure and discomfort. I feel like I am getting less close to labor rather than closer!

Some docs are MUCH rougher than others. I think like anything else there are some that are good and some SUCK

kellij
11-26-2011, 01:25 AM
At 38w6 days I wasn't effaced and not dilated at all. A couple of days after that I had some labor pains that were every 15 minutes and quit after about 9 hours. I went back to the dr at 39 w 3 days and I was 100% effaced and 2 cm dilated. I went in to labor that night and had a baby 5 hours later.