PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Apple TV

wallawala
11-23-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm an apple novice, but just got an iPad 2.... do I need apple TV too??

Can you use it with the free stuff with an Amazon Prime membership?

Any good tutorials on the web you'd recommend?

LD92599
11-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Since you have ipad 2 i'd justconnet your ipad to the tv and bypass apple tv. What do you want apple tv for besides streaming?

larig
11-24-2011, 01:36 AM
We have an apple tv. We got it for xmas last year and have enjoyed it. It is useful for us, because we have a large iTunes library (about 200 movies and tv shows) that is running on an old computer we have. It streams movies from that library to our TV. It does not work with Amazon. It does work with netflix, and it has some other things like NHL and a couple of other things (we mostly use it for netflix and our own library). You can rent and buy movies from the iTunes music store too.

Since iOS 5 you can now mirror what is on your iPad through appletv to your TV. So you can be surfing the web, or on a FaceTime call, for example, and it shows up on your tv. You can also push things (media) that are on your iPad wirelessly to the appletv and it plays on your TV.

I think that an appletv makes sense if (a) you have a large iTunes library (or plan to have) OR (b) need a way to stream netflix (not hulu or amazon stuff) OR (c) need a way to make what your doing on your iPad visible to a large room. (I do like the netflix interface in the appletv.)

I personally think, based on rumors I've read, that apple's got something big in the works for TV--I'm guessing voice controlled.

arivecchi
11-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Love Apple TV. We like to play all of our itunes movies, shows and music on our tv. Love how we can watch our photos on TV with music. We stream netflix with our apple tv device. We rent a lot of movies through itunes too. Totally worth the $100!

LD92599
11-24-2011, 10:33 AM
I think i need to use our apple TV more!!! We never use it!

wallawala
11-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks all!!

I was soooo hoping to stream the Free Amazon prime through it!! Still debating wether face time on the big TV with Gparents, etc, would be worth it though.....