PDA

View Full Version : S/O Do you keep your toilet lid...

mjs64
11-23-2011, 08:35 PM
This discussion began in the nanny coughing thread, and I'm interested in what the majority practice is.

This may change when potty training arrives, but I keep mine down before flushing.

BayGirl2
11-23-2011, 08:44 PM
I knew this would get its own thread... A fascinating topic for the holiday.

Ever since DH, and at his request, I leave it down. Usually goes down before flushing unless I suspect a flush issue. Has not been a big deal with PTing.

For 40 years my parents have agreed to disagree and I think the seat totally up looks gross. This way we both have to make equal effort and the bathroom stays less germy.

ellies mom
11-23-2011, 08:46 PM
I don't really care if it is up or down. Sometimes I leave it down, sometimes I leave it up.

mjs64
11-23-2011, 08:47 PM
I knew this would get its own thread... A fascinating topic for the holiday.

:rotflmao:

I know. Procrastinating.

BayGirl2
11-23-2011, 09:03 PM
There is some statistic about how many germs go into the air during every flush. A true procrastinator would track that down. Would do it myself but my free time just ended and I have to get DS.

KLD313
11-23-2011, 09:04 PM
I always mean to out it down first because I do think it's disgusting but I never remember. I keep my toothbrush in a drawer though because I heard how the flush germs end up in your toothbrush and that's just too gross. I also don't like to touch the toilet but I guess that's another issue.

PAfirsttimemom
11-23-2011, 09:05 PM
Ever since I read the following (see under "toothbrush" subhead), we always keep the seat down when flushing (especially after number two). :D

http://www.menshealth.com/health/win-germ-warfare

mommylamb
11-23-2011, 09:08 PM
*I* put it down before I flush. DH is also good about this. DS is not as consistent. I don't like the idea of flying fecal matter.

wencit
11-23-2011, 09:11 PM
We used to be a "lid up" family until we moved to this townhouse. The toilets flush violently, and I've even seen water droplets spray up and onto the seat (gross!), so now we are firmly in the "lid down before flushing" camp.

abh5e8
11-23-2011, 09:24 PM
lid down, for sure! and ds and dd know it is just a part of using the bathroom, like wiping and washing hands :)

crayonblue
11-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Very interesting and I stand corrected! We've rented for so long and had such crappy toilets that we've always had to make sure the toilet actually flushes. So, yes, I've always put the lid down after the flush.

lalasmama
11-23-2011, 09:33 PM
We keep it closed while flushing. Why?

BECAUSE TOILET SPRAY DROPLETS CAN GO 6-8 FEET AWAY if not contained.

That means it's getting the sink... the toothbrushes or toothpaste on the counter... your hairbrush... combs... contact lens case....

JBaxter
11-23-2011, 09:47 PM
I guess I should say that "MY" toilet is not close to the sink and is in an enclosed area. Kids toilet ( Jack and Nathan's) gets used rarely They brush their teeth there but may pee before bed. Logans sink is out side his "toilet area" The mainly used toilet is down stairs for us and no one brushes their teeth there Connor I guess is the only one to deal with flying poo particles

essnce629
11-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Down before flushing, because I don't want the germs ending up everywhere.

newg
11-23-2011, 11:23 PM
We are a lid down family....even DD1 learned while PT to put the seat down.
Now DH's family is another story.......

BayGirl2
11-23-2011, 11:26 PM
I guess I should say that "MY" toilet is not close to the sink and is in an enclosed area. Kids toilet ( Jack and Nathan's) gets used rarely They brush their teeth there but may pee before bed. Logans sink is out side his "toilet area" The mainly used toilet is down stairs for us and no one brushes their teeth there Connor I guess is the only one to deal with flying poo particles

Yeah, that is the case in our house too. So technically I guess the germs are less of an issue now for us. It's a carry over from our old 1 bath house. Also I think the bathroom looks neater with the seat down. Put it in the same category as making the bed and pushing the chairs in.

wifecat
11-24-2011, 12:06 AM
I have always kept the lid down...until dd began the potty training adventure and has to say, "Bye bye ___'s pee. I love you. Night night," and then watch it go down the toilet, waving as it swirls away. I try and pretend the germs aren't flying through the air.

twowhat?
11-24-2011, 12:38 AM
Me: lid down before flushing.
Everyone else: lid up all the time (DH's excuse is that it's one less step to put the Bjorn potty insert on if the lid is already up)

I've had to constantly remind myself "it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things."

Maybe I should teach the dogs to drink from the toilet...I bet that would change things...

MontrealMum
11-24-2011, 01:45 AM
Another down before flushing family here.

Long before learning about the projectile fecal matter issue (which icks me out to no end) I started putting the lid down at all times because my parents' friends had a rat enter their house through the open lidded toilet. Mind you, it was in the basement and I've heard that this only happens on the lower floors, but it was not something I wanted to experience.

The down before flushing rule is also good remedy to a DH who doesn't remember to put the seat down ;)

lizzywednesday
11-24-2011, 10:02 AM
It's a combo - mostly, it's down before flushing, unless I do a "courtesy flush" ... and then it stays down through the rest of the day or else DD splashes in it. (Ew. Even when I've cleaned it, it's "ew" to me.)

DH, OTOH, has to be reminded to put the lid down. I think letting him see DD splashing in the bowl should be enough, don't you?

Since we have both a potty seat & a potty ring, I don't worry about PT-ing. (Of course, we're not actively training, but DD is a pain about getting into diapers right now, so I'm kind of rolling with that.)

wellyes
11-24-2011, 10:09 AM
I will be brave and post for the people who leave it up all the time. I do it. I use kitchen sponges too and sometimes wait multiple days before replacing or sanitizing! I like to live on the edge.

I grew up leaving it up, DH did too, we now leave it up. Somehow we are all surviving. I have things I am phobic about but this is just not on my radar screen at all.

Also, not to be gross, but I like to make sure everything flushed!

♥ms.pacman♥
11-24-2011, 10:19 AM

I grew up leaving it up, DH did too, we now leave it up. Somehow we are all surviving. I have things I am phobic about but this is just not on my radar screen at all.

:yeahthat:

it is so not a big deal to me...i cannot be worrying about things like this all the time.

btw, in 3 out of our 4 bathrooms, the toilets are in their separate sections anyways (not near sinks)

egoldber
11-24-2011, 10:52 AM

:yeahthat:

BillK
11-24-2011, 10:59 AM
So you down lid flushers - do you clean off the inside if the lid every time after you flush? If you don't wouldn't all the "stuff" potentially get all over the back of your clothing when you sit down again to use it and put the lid up - then from there all over your furniture etc?

I never heard of the whole up/down thing before so I'm curious.

SnuggleBuggles
11-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Geez, the poll is tied at down before flushing and open all the time yet you wouldn't know it on the replies. Here, it varies, but mostly up. Another family that seems to survive. I am also one that almost always says "keep" in the toss/ keep debates. I like to think we have nice, hearty immune systems here.

Beth