PDA

View Full Version : egg substitute suggestions?

nupe
11-23-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm planning to make the pioneer woman life by chocolate cupcakes (not the topping, and without the kisses) for my food allergic child. I'm planning to make soy milk into soy buttermilk, which I do routinely for banana bread. I plan to use ener g instead of eggs, this is what I'm worried about. Wondering if it won't just turn into a bunch of chocolate bricks once it cools.

essnce629
11-23-2011, 11:37 PM
Ener G works just fine. DS1 was egg and dairy-free for several years due to his eczema and I always used Ener G in all my baking recipes without noticing a difference. You can also use flaxseeds as an egg substitute by soaking them in water till they turn into a gel. I've only done that once though and don't remember what the exact ratio is. If you google it you can find out, but I'd have no problem just using the Ener G.

ETA: Found the exact ratio. Two tbsp. finely ground flax seeds plus 3 tbsp. water replaces one egg. Mix them together in a small bowl or mug, and let sit a couple of minutes until it becomes like jelly, then add as you would eggs.
http://www.goodbaker.com/qa11.html

danagee
11-24-2011, 04:02 AM
The only time I've had a problem with EnerG was with a boxed brownie mix. It came out goopy and wet. Otherwise, i have been baking and pancaking with it for 5 years with great success.