PDA

View Full Version : Mittens for bigger kids?

toby
11-23-2011, 10:38 PM
I am having the hardest time finding mittens for 7 year old DS. He does not like how gloves feel and also won't wear the convertible gloves/mittens. We have the warm, thinsulite ones from LE that are fine when it is really snowy out, but they are kind of bulky.

All I want is a light/medium weight mitten in fleece or nylon/wool...
We tried the LE fleece mittens but the fit is really weird- super long in the fingers, shorter in the thumb, very narrow.

Do big boys only wear gloves or big ski mittens??!!

Kindra178
11-23-2011, 10:43 PM
May I suggest LL Bean? They just seem to fit better than LE. (I took back the LE ones I bought this year). DS1 wore these last year and I got them for all three boys this year:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/66345?feat=2-SR0

toby
11-24-2011, 08:20 AM
I actually was just about to give these a try...thanks! Did you find that they run large?

Kindra178
11-24-2011, 11:15 AM
A little bit but nothing like LE. DS1 at 4 wore xs last year. This year I think I ordered medium for him, but that may be too big.

Edited to add:

I just tried them on. DS1, whose 5, fits in the small (he's a taller than average kid but his hands are smaller, I think). The medium is huge, but would probably work for a 7 year old. Based on their hat sizing, I sized up for the mittens, but that was clearly a mistake.