PDA

View Full Version : E-readers and public library books. ARGH!

TwoBees
11-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Ok, so I took the plunge and got a Nook at the Target sale. Super excited. But now I discover that I cannot access my local library's ebook collection without using my computer. Then, once I download the book, I have to connect my Nook to the computer with the USB cable and transfer the book. That rather defeats the purpose of my downloading ebooks while away from my computer. I'm a bit peeved. It seems that with the Kindle, I still need a computer to access the library's website, but once the book is "borrowed" I can get it wirelessly on the Kindle through the sync feature. Is this correct? Has anyone tried this? I could always use someone else's computer to access my Amazon account, but actually needing the software ON my computer (Overdrive software for the Nook) makes things more complicated.

help!

Should I return the Nook and get the Kindle instead?

crl
11-24-2011, 12:18 AM
I can't really answer for either the nook or the kindle. I use the overdrive app on my iPad and can search, check out, download and read library books without ever synching with a computer--though dh may have needed a computer to set it up the first time for me. My library loans ePub books and kindle books. I have to go to the amazon website after I check out from the library site when I goof and click in the kindle version.

OT: Also the kindle store saves any notes etc in case I buy the book in the future. That actually bums me out because I prefer the general library stance that they maintain no records of what patrons borrow once they return the material--which means the federal government can't use the patriot act to find out.

Catherine

Gena
11-24-2011, 12:30 AM
It seems that with the Kindle, I still need a computer to access the library's website, but once the book is "borrowed" I can get it wirelessly on the Kindle through the sync feature. Is this correct? Has anyone tried this?

That's how I do it. I look books up on the library website on the computer or the iPad, but after I check out the book wirelessly appears on my kindle.

(ETA: just as a side note, I don't read books on the iPad, because I perfer the e-ink of the Kindle.)

KrisM
11-24-2011, 12:31 AM
I just tried it on my Kindle. I did the check out on my computer and it took me to Amazon and I logged in and put it on my Kindle. As soon as I hit download in Amazon, it showed up on my kindle. No hard connect via cable was needed.

michlyn
11-24-2011, 12:40 AM
yes, that's true. I actually "sideloaded" (I followed a tutorial on the web on how to sideload on the nook tablet) the overdrive app on my nook tablet to load library books wirelessly. I also downloaded the kindle app from the amazon store just in case I want to use that, too. Kind of a back end method but works for me!

daisymommy
11-24-2011, 09:13 AM
I'm sorry :( this is one reason some people are choosing the Kindle over the Nook--ease of use with downloads, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwoBees
11-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Argh. Sooo p.o.'ed. Now I have to look for a deal on the kindle. The whole point was that I didn't want to be tied to a computer. :(

bekahjean
11-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Target has a great deal on a 3G kindle keyboard tomorrow - it was the white one for $85. I don't know how limited the quantities are though.

TwoBees
11-28-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm sorry :( this is one reason some people are choosing the Kindle over the Nook--ease of use with downloads, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see that now!

Well, I returned the Nook and bought the Kindle, and downloaded two library books extremely quickly and without having to connect the device to the computer. Much happier. :boogie: