PDA

View Full Version : Tips to help my sick little girl?

kellij
11-24-2011, 06:46 PM
My daughter started throwing up last Sunday morning early am. I took her to urgent care Monday night and then to the pediatrician yesterday. Both say stomach virus. I just had never seen her so lethargic. My DS had it Sunday and was fine the next day. Today she just keeps yelling out because the stomach pains are so bad. We gave her liquid advil and she threw it up immediately. Gave her a suppository acetaminaphin, but it doesn't seem to help.

Any ideas? It's awful to see her like this! (She 5.5)

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Either a heating pad or one of the rice things you microwave. It is comforting, the heat on your tummy. Sips of water and then ginger ale or chamomile tea. Sorry mama:hug5:!

arivecchi
11-24-2011, 07:08 PM
I would be worried that she is really dehydrated which will make it harder to recover. Can she drink some gatorade? She may need to go to the ER and get fluids if she is getting lethargic.

hillview
11-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Either a heating pad or one of the rice things you microwave. It is comforting, the heat on your tummy. Sips of water and then ginger ale or chamomile tea. Sorry mama:hug5:!
:yeahthat:
hope it passes soon! One tablespoon of water til she keeps one down for 15 mins. Then 2 tbsp. for 15 mins. etc

ecofem
11-24-2011, 08:06 PM
I would be worried that she is really dehydrated which will make it harder to recover. Can she drink some gatorade? She may need to go to the ER and get fluids if she is getting lethargic.

Agree! If she's not keeping fluids down, you may need to go to ER or urgent care......

kellij
11-24-2011, 08:37 PM
She won't keep the medicine down, but she's keeping water down. She just keeps yelling out about the stomach pains, and she's usually extremely tough, so I know it's really bad for her. At this point I just want the stomach pains to ease. I think we're still okay on the dehydration front. We've been doing the sips every 15-20 minutes since someone above suggested that.

zag95
11-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Can they prescribe some anti nausea meds or something? Like zofran or similar for kids?

What about pedialite or similar??? Popsicles might be another option....

I agree if she has been without much, her stomach could be hurting from nausea, plus being hungry.

Hope she gets feeling better.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Seriously the rice pack feels so good, or for some kids a cool washcloth. The warmth is relaxing for most kiddos.

stefani
11-24-2011, 09:42 PM
I would suggest Pedialyte and/or popsicles made from Pedialyte to make sure that she is not dehydrated. Like some PP already suggested, rice pack on the tummy might help.

Sending get well wishes for your DD!

kbud
11-24-2011, 10:17 PM
It sounds like she's hydrated just has an ugly stomach bug. A truly, medically lethargic kid, doesn't yell out in pain. They literally don't do anything. My dd was dehydrated from a stomach bug and she literally don't do anything but stare into space.

I agree with the popsicles. Is she still throwing up? Have you tried any food, maybe some jello, applesauce or something along those lines, toast...She might be getting hungry too. We have a special little pillow we put on the tummy for those things. It really helps to lay in the fetal position and hug the pillow. I do it when my tummy hurts.

Unless she has a fever the tylonel/ibuprofen won't really help. In fact ibuprofen can be hard on the stomach. they do make children's Tums which can be soothing.

Good luck, stomach bugs are no fun. I hope she feels better soon.

Mommy_Again
11-24-2011, 10:37 PM
My ped always tells me that water upsets their stomach even more...Gatorade/pedialite only until they are past the vomiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overcome
11-24-2011, 11:38 PM
I don't have any additional advice, but I do want to send you PT&P that your dd will feel better soon. It's so worrisome when our kiddos are sick.

kellij
11-24-2011, 11:56 PM
Thank you all so much! It really is so stressful. My heart breaks for parents who have to watch their children be seriously ill, I don't know how they do it, this is killing me and it's only been 5 days.

I'm armed with a list of things to get at Target when it opens at midnight! :)

I talked to a nurse on call and she suggested taking her to the e.r. to make sure it isn't anything more serious and to do something to help get her relief. She is sleeping though, so I think the best thing to do is to let her sleep and if she wakes up in as much pain, I will take her then.

ecofem
11-25-2011, 02:07 AM
I would agree... don't wake her unless she gets up feeling horrible. I really hope she's feeling better soon!!!! :-)

MamaMolly
11-25-2011, 07:10 AM
Was thinking of your DD last night and hoping it is better this AM. Hugs and P&PT!