PDA

View Full Version : Sleepwalking in an adult?

BeachBum
11-25-2011, 10:40 PM
My husband has started exhibiting some strange behaviors while asleep-- for now I'm calling it sleepwalking because I don't really know what is going on. But it's scary.

He has walked into a wall (repeatedly), fallen down, fallen asleep on the toilet, talked non sense, and just other weird stuff. When I talk to him initially, I can't immediately tell that he is asleep. But he is snappy with me (out of character)--and then something really weird will happen and that's how I realize that he is asleep still. He hasn't done anything violent, but he is so not like himself I feel kind of afraid.
This has happened about 4-6 times over the past 6 months or so. Twice in the last week.

He is somewhat bothered by it--but I'm really upset. I'm the one who has seen the behavior. He doesn't seem to fully remember what happened, but is defensive and very embarrassed by it and tries to shrug it off.
I'm really pushing for him to go to the GP and I do think he will.
But in the mean time does anyone have any advice or experiences to share. Most things I've googled seem to be about childhood sleepwalking. The focus is on keeping the kids from hurting themselves and they will grow out of it.

What should I know? or do for now?

lalasmama
11-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Does he take any medications (prescription or over the counter)? Can you link anything together from the times you have caught him sleepwalking--ie, is he more tired than normal when this happens or something else?

I'm a sleepwalker, but only when taking Ambien... then, well, I sleepwalk, I sleep-garden, I move the dishes around in the cupboard, and do some other random/weird things.

For me, safety wise, we keep a latch/chain on the front door, and depending on the extent of it, I've actually put alarms on the door before. So far, I've never defeated the above and left the house since I put those safeguards in place. No other real advice though. I also couldn't remember what I had done when "sleep-walking"-- but would find my kitchen rearranged, the flower pots moved inside or outside, etc. And, like your DH, I was pretty embarrassed if someone else could tell me the weird things I had done.

Sorry you are having to deal with this. It's gotta be rough!

Giantbear
11-25-2011, 11:01 PM
My sister used to sleep walk when she was around 13, we had to put chains on the doors out of her reach as we found sher down the block one night. Scary movies used to trigger it. Is your husband under unusual pressures or stress??

fortato
11-26-2011, 12:10 AM
True story.

My husband sleep walks... my husband woke up in bed with my mother while she was here visiting.

Mike went to bed around 12:30, and Mom and I followed a little bit later. I put in my ear plugs because Mike was snoring like crazy.

Around 5:30 I got up to pee, and when I got back to bed, Mike started squeezing my arm, so I took my ear plugs out and asked what he wanted...

"I'm freaked out"

"Why?"

"Because I just woke up in bed with your mother."

"WHAT????!!!"

"I don't know how I got there, but I seriously just woke up next to your mom"

So, we went back and forth about how I thought he was kidding and how he swore on Jack's life that he really did wake up next to my mother.

Michael must have sleep walked and ended up climbing into bed with my MOTHER. He woke up between her and the wall... and mortified that he may have groped her or something...

When my mother came downstairs this morning, I asked her how she slept, and she started laughing. She told me how she woke up when she felt something next to her- she thought it was the dog, but Skippy doesn't wear clothes...or have hands.... So,she was freaked out, but not enough to kick him out of her bed. She just rolled over and went back to sleep.

I have no idea how long he was there, but he woke up around 5 and came back to bed- Completely.Freaked.Out.

Oh, and he didn't grope her...whew. I think he went to bed thinking about Polygamy... that might explain some things. And, thank god he wore pants to bed.

Aishe
11-26-2011, 02:23 AM
Here's some info that might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_eye_movement_behavior_disorder

For a very funny account of adult sleepwalking, listen to Mike Birbiglia on This American Life:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/361/fear-of-sleep

tiapam
11-26-2011, 11:54 PM
there is a link between thyroid and sleepwalking:

http://thyroid.about.com/b/2005/03/19/sleepwalking-may-be-hyperthyroidism-symptom.htm

it makes sense to me as i have much more vivid dreams when my thyroid is not balanced. it is def worth checking out. that is a good website with symptom checklists, etc.

please update!

hoodlims
11-27-2011, 02:06 AM
My gf has this problem, and she has been on prescription medication for it. Your DH should ask his doctor about it.

scrooks
11-27-2011, 10:51 AM
My sister sleep walks. BIL is a teacher and is often up late grading. There have been many instances of my sister coming into his office late at night spouting jibberish or having an actual conversation that doesnt make sense. With my sister it's directly related to stress.

Melaine
11-27-2011, 10:58 AM
My brother does stuff like this. Not sure what is the trigger but he's definitely asleep and totally out of character, so it seems like what you are talking about.

glbb35
11-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Fortato, that is hilarious!!!! I can see why your husband was so embarrassed but your mother handled it well. Too funny. Thanks for the funny story. That I am sure will make some great chats in the future. :)

I sleep talk, my sister sleep walks and my mom walks and talks but we all have sleep disorders and we have had them all our lives. My sis and mom have full blown narcolepsy that causes their walking and talking and odd sleep hours. But these are issues we have all had for a long time. Serious sleep issues like this rarely pop up over night.

That being said OP, if they continue or it gets to the point where your DH could hurt himself, you might want to get in to see a doc. IT certainly can't hurt to see a doctor. Like others have said it could be stress, it could be meds he is on or something more innocent like that. Hopefully it is.

To this day with my sister I can watch her fall asleep and know at the right time to wake her up and she will be in that almost sleep phase and I can get here to sleep talk. IT is always so bizarre the things that come out of her mouth. She has no clue in the morning other than us making fun of her!

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09 and new baby 7/11