PDA

View Full Version : how many legos does your child have?

eagle
11-26-2011, 03:49 AM
i didnt even bother trying to set up a poll bc i dont know what kind of ranges i should be using...

those xxl boxes at walmart, are they enough for one child? can we be done with that? of course, maybe its completely pointless to ask because every child is so different. im sure there are some kids who never play with legos and some kids out there who live and breathe it. it seems ds likes his 71 pieces of duplo so far; so i got him the xxl duplo and the xxl lego for later (im hoping to keep it from him for a long while. the duplo pieces everywhere are driving me crazy),,,

as our boy gets older i feel like i always start over with the complete cluelessness of myself. i never had any nephews or nieces to watch growing up and basically i was never around any children at all. today, i feel that it is completely reasonable to believe that we are done with buying any more lego for the rest of his life. maybe lots of other kinds of toys, sure... but isnt 1600 pieces of lego a lot? or will i be kicking myself for not having bought another 4 xxl boxes?

so i just wanted you to share whatever information you want with me. thanks so much!

new_mommy25
11-26-2011, 05:04 AM
Ummm...we have two underbed storage bins that are full to the brim. And then an entire chest of Duplos. To be honest, 1600 isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but I think it's a great start. If your DC gets really into Lego then he will start to want specific sets and that's where the collection begins.

KrisM
11-26-2011, 06:07 AM
I filled out the My Sets at brickset.com last year and it says we have just under 9000. But, DS1 is not really into Lego much, so we only have a few that he really wanted.

1600 is not a lot. But if you're only going to buy bricks and not sets, you might end up with fewer overall.

hellokitty
11-26-2011, 08:22 AM
We have thousands, like an entire Lego dresser full, plus another deep three drawer sterilite dresser full. Your son is IMO too young for reg sized Lego. I'd still stick to duplo until he's closer to 4.5 yrs old.

BeachBum
11-26-2011, 08:34 AM
We only buy sets so far. Then once they are put together he will play with them until they break...Then they get thrown in the bin. He doesn't have nearly as much fun playing with the tub of bricks as he does doing the sets.

kristac
11-26-2011, 08:53 AM
According to brickset, we have about 2800 (this count includes a few small sets I have already bought for Christmas). DS1 just started with legos last Christmas. I passed on the xxl box since he likes to build vehicles, planes, space vehicles, subs, boats, etc- not buildings or other things that would take alot of basic bricks. He definately likes the specialized pieces that come in various sets. We have the 405 piece basic box from last Christmas and the rest are various sets. To give you a idea of how much space that many legos take up- our current collection can fit in the box the 405 piece set came in. I also have 2 younger boys so if I stay under 25,000 pieces in the next 10 years I'll be surprised.

As far as duplos- I think the XXL box will be fine.

ett
11-26-2011, 11:04 AM
1600 pieces is not a lot of Legos, but given that your DS is only 2, I would hold off on buying more Legos for now. The XXL set is just basic bricks; there are other sets that include specialty pieces like wheels, windows, doors, etc. Or your DS may prefer the sets that build particular things, like the Lego City line.

I'm afraid to update my sets at brickset.com because I'm sure the number would be hitting 10,000 or more. We've been buying Legos for several years now and own a lot of sets and loose bricks.

wimama
11-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Over the course of the last two years DS has got two of the blue bin starter sets and several sets. The only sets that he still has together are Woody's Round up and his Star Wars Space Ships. We bought him a bunch of parts for making cars and vehicles at the Lego store wall fill a cup. We lucked out at the Downtown Disney store and they had a bunch of wheels, axles, steering wheels, stick shifts, windshields, etc. I did snag one of those XXL Walmart Lego boxes, but I didn't feel a need to snag more because I figure he will get more Legos in the building sets we buy him.

SnuggleBuggles
11-26-2011, 11:09 AM
10s of 1000s we have many, many, many Legos. We have shoebox sized storage bins full of sorted Legos (blue in one bin, black take up 2.5,...) plus one gigantic box full of loose Legos, many built Legos... ds1 usually gets one 900+ piece Lego sets for his b-day and Christmas + some 300 piece ones. So, in one year we have more Legos than you would have and we started off with dh's old Legos too. Do we have too many? Very likely. :) But, we get a whole, whole lot of play out of them and we will keep handing them down!

Beth

crl
11-26-2011, 11:17 AM
My 8 year old ds has none. We gave away the few sets he was given by others. He must be the only 8 year old boy on the planet who doesn't like leggos. Unit block though. . . . We have a lot of those.

Catherine

o_mom
11-26-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm guessing over 10,000 easily. I bought the 1600 set, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it. They have around 1500 that they are already getting for Christmas as well.

connor_mommy
11-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Just checked on brickset...40K+. Most of these are large Star Wars sets that are displayed. We have two large buckets of loose bricks and plates and a huge tub of Duplos. My boys are 5 and 7 and they still play with both. The other day they built something large using both of the duplos and the regular sized pieces.

alien_host
11-26-2011, 09:10 PM
I haven't updated brickset in a while....I'm guessing 30-40K since we have a lot of loose bricks as well that aren't recorded at brickset. But many sets are still unopened in my basement awaiting to be built by someone :bag

hillview
11-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Um way way too many. I haven't counted but well we have I would guess 15-20 mid size sets.

soontobe
11-26-2011, 10:07 PM
as a slight spin off-if you have many sets how do your kids find the peices they need to build a specific scene if they are all mixed up?

connor_mommy
11-26-2011, 11:40 PM
as a slight spin off-if you have many sets how do your kids find the peices they need to build a specific scene if they are all mixed up?

I try to keep the sets together by theme. So, if I find a broken Star Wars set, it goes into the Star Wars bin. We have bins for all of the different themes. The mini figures and their accessories all go into a bin with multiple compartments. We also have a spare parts bin, which is usually the extras that the sets come with. DH just spent 3 weeks repairing all of the Star Wars stuff. These are now on display all over the house. The other themed ones are stored away or the boys take them out one theme at a time.

SnuggleBuggles
11-27-2011, 12:10 AM
That's why they are color sorted. Narrows down the digging. We debated sorting by type but color won out. Some sets stay together.

Beth

ett
11-27-2011, 12:22 AM

We keep each set separate in a labeled ziploc bag. Then I put all the bags into bigger storage bins. My kids would never find the pieces they need to rebuild if I mixed all the pieces together. We do have many sets displayed throughout the house.

kijip
11-27-2011, 12:32 AM
Have not updated brick set in a long time. But I am sure we are well into the 5 digits. His Lego manual binder is a FULL 5 inches. He mostly builds free build stuff but he has acquired a lot of sets over the years. Recently he bought himself the large Lego space shuttle...the one with 1200+ pieces for ages 12 and up. We have only ever gifted him some small Lego buckets and a Creator house and City Airplane and a small camper set, a racers cars and the Advent calendars. The rest have all been gifts from others or things he saved up for. My dad has bought him Lego starwars stuff, and my MIL gives him a lot of Legos, as do my brother and his husband. We keep the manuals so he can rebuild sets when he wants to. He has bought himself a suitcase full of Coast Guard and Mars Mission stuff when we went to Legoland (in was on clearance), Mindstorms, a fair bit of city stuff, the space shuttle. Next he has designs on the lego commercial train.

Tondi G
11-27-2011, 02:54 AM
We have far too many legos in this family. We have all of the legos that my MIL saved from when my DH and his brother were children and then many additional sets that my DS's have been given for birthdays and Xmas. we have 3 of those 3 drawers sterlite roll around things full of legos (well maybe a drawer or 2 have cars in them but the majority is legos).

elephantmeg
11-28-2011, 01:49 AM
the xxl doesn't have any wheels etc-you'll want to get a set that has some or go to a lego store (if available) and get some of the fun parts. I got him the xxl set but we also have many, many, many other sets.