PDA

View Full Version : LeCruset fans: What are Your favorite pieces?

daisymommy
11-26-2011, 10:11 AM
A store near me is clearancing out their stock of LC cook/bakeware.
What are some pieces I might want to buy?
I have always loved the look of their Dutch oven, but now have a Lodge Dutch oven I love, and I guess I don't need two of them :)
What about their skillet? Is it fairly nonstick?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fumofu
11-26-2011, 10:22 AM
I have their 5 qt French oven. If they're on clearance, I'd love to get a one in a bigger size. I'm also curious about the cast iron skillet. I'd like to get the 12" one to replace my nonstick.

karstmama
11-26-2011, 10:32 AM
i'd get one of their big baking dishes. mama has a big set, and she's loved it for years. yes, the skillets are fairly nonstick, though they do stain over time.

Trigglet
11-26-2011, 10:47 AM
I have three dutch ovens of different sizes and a covered saute pan - none of which I could do without! I also have a set of three sizes of saucepans, and those I could probably do without in a pinch, because if I'm just doing something quick then I usually don't prefer using the le Creuset.

I :heartbeat: my LC!

I do also have a vintage LC skillet and I treat it much the same as my other (non-enamelled) cast iron skillet - e.g. I don't use it for eggs etc. I can't really speak to its non-stickness as it's in storage at the moment and I haven't used it in ages.

SnuggleBuggles
11-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Well, I have a dutch oven and love it but that doesn't help you. :) I find I don't use the 2qt hand me down one I have that much.

Beth

larig
11-26-2011, 11:42 AM
I like my big stock pot (in addition to other pieces mentioned.)

Beth24
11-26-2011, 11:47 AM
If you can get the largest Dutch oven they have, I think its 13 quart, get it! That is my favorite piece and when you have a big family and want to make double batches of soups, stews, meatballs/sauce etc., it is so great.

I also like their sauté pans. I have one enameled and two cat iron and they aren't non stick but work gret with cooking spray.

Happy shopping!

abh5e8
11-26-2011, 11:52 AM
for the skillet to act more "non-stick", make sure it is seasoned and maintained well. (google for direction!) and then, this is the trick for eggs:

hot skilet + cold oil + cold eggs. but not too hot on the skillet...i use med heat or a little below, let it warm up for 2 - 3 mins. then add the oil and immediately add the eggs. they will fry up perfectly...no sticking at all. :)

even when seasoned, i get stuck on eggs if i heat the oil first or if the pan is too hot.

citymama
11-26-2011, 12:22 PM
I have 2 skillets and two Dutch Ovens. The largest Dutch oven gets used the most by far. If I had a larger skillet, I think it would as well.

gatorsmom
11-26-2011, 12:28 PM
I have a 9 qt Dutch oven that is huge but awesome for making doubles and triple batches of things that I want to have for leftovers.

I have an enameled stock pot, I think it's an 8quart which I use a lot. I have the biggest size stock pot too, but I rarely use it. One day when I want to make my own broths I suppose I will but right now I don't have the time.

I also have a 5qt braiser ( i think it is 5 quart. Its about 11 or 12 inches across the diameter. It's big) which I love and use all the time. I can cook 2 lbs of chicken breasts all laid out side by side in that thing. It is great.

I have a cast iron skillet but I don't use it much. I use the braiser for frying instead.

Eta: you have to add a little more liquid to things so they don't stick or leave the lids on so their natural juices keep them from sticking. But even when things do stick, leave them soaking and they clean up great. I'm a terrible cook and I haven't destroyed one yet. :D

zag95
11-26-2011, 12:48 PM
I have 2 pots- one is 7 qt and one is 3.5 qt. Both were gifts! Love the big one the most- I'll do a double batch of stew in it. The smalled one I do roasts in....

Love those pots!

daisymommy
11-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Wow! So much great info here. Thanks for the replies ladies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-26-2011, 03:00 PM
The heart shaped casserole!:heartbeat:

mjs64
11-26-2011, 04:01 PM
I have a oval shaped casserole in addition to the Dutch oven and love it. Not sure I would go for the skillet because the pieces are so heavy.