PDA

View Full Version : Would you give a free iPad to your 8 year old?--UPDATE OP

crl
11-27-2011, 12:41 PM
UPDATE

Well, dh's firm announced bonuses and no iPads. How many pages of posts and all for nothing. :hysterical:

Sorry!
Catherine

Dh's work may be giving out iPads with bonuses before Christmas. I have the original iPad. Dh has the iPad 2. Ds wants an iPad, of course. We have told him no way because they are much too expensive. I was vaguely thinking of the nook tablet or the kindle fire for his ninth birthday in the summer, mostly hoping it would encourage reading which is an issue here.

But now, if we get a free one, I think we should give one to ds. I was thinking I could take the new one and we could wipe mine clean and put it in an otterbox defender case (?) and give it to ds from Santa. He won't know the difference between the original and the new one. Dh still thinks it is too expensive of a gadget for an 8 year old.

But then what would we do with it? There's no one else we would give a gift remotely that expensive to. My parents like their nook. Dh's parents have all the techy gadgets they want. I guess we could sell it. . . .

Wwyd?
Catherine

smiles33
11-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Yes, I would give him your old one in an Otterbox Defender case (that's what I have my first-Gen iPad in). More utility and value than trying to sell it and it would make him thrilled.

I think the bigger issue is whether you say it's from Santa. Will he then expect Santa to always bring big-budget gifts, without regard to the cost? Since you've already said it's too expensive to him, it may be awkward it say it's from you and DH.

jgenie
11-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Could you just keep it and allow him access?

pinkmomagain
11-27-2011, 01:47 PM
I would give him the old one for Xmas and say it's from the two of you and explain the circumstances. That you guys were lucky enough to get a free one (well actually Daddy works hard and they give him one at work) and you were able to pass the old one on to him for Xmas.

wellyes
11-27-2011, 01:52 PM
I personally think it's a extravagant gift for an 8 year old.
Take the freebie, or your old one, to the Apple store for an upgrade credit and get him a Touch (or yourself an ipad 2?)

I don't like the ipad as an eReader, I'd still get him the Kindle or Nook.

JBaxter
11-27-2011, 02:00 PM
my 3 & 8 yr olds have my iPad 90% of the time. I got the kindle fire for me. If there was an option yes I would give my 8 yr old one.

crl
11-27-2011, 02:14 PM
I personally think it's a extravagant gift for an 8 year old.
Take the freebie, or your old one, to the Apple store for an upgrade credit and get him a Touch (or yourself an ipad 2?)

I don't like the ipad as an eReader, I'd still get him the Kindle or Nook.

He already has a touch. Dh bought the original iPhone at the original full price. When they dropped the price shortly thereafter apple issued a rebate to dh, but it had to be spent in a short amount of time and not on iTunes. So we got ds a touch with it.

Hmm, I like my iPad fine as an ereader.

Thanks for the input everyone!
Catherine

Cam&Clay
11-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Definitely give him yours. He is not too young at all.

nfceagles
11-27-2011, 02:28 PM
I would keep it around as a family ipad that he is allowed to use on occasion, but not give it as a straight up gift. If I did give it to him, it wouldn't be from Santa, I would give it from mom and dad and let him know exactly where it came from. JMHO.

Green_Tea
11-27-2011, 03:34 PM
I would keep it around as a family ipad that he is allowed to use on occasion, but not give it as a straight up gift.

:yeahthat:

I think I may be in the minority round these parts, but I think an iPad is a very extravagant gift for an 8 year old.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-27-2011, 03:38 PM
I would give him the old one for Xmas and say it's from the two of you and explain the circumstances. That you guys were lucky enough to get a free one (well actually Daddy works hard and they give him one at work) and you were able to pass the old one on to him for Xmas.

Melanie
11-27-2011, 03:40 PM
I would not.

vludmilla
11-27-2011, 03:46 PM
I would not, especially if the Internet was accessible.

KrisM
11-27-2011, 03:51 PM
I would not. It seems like a very expensive gift for an 8 year old.

melrose7
11-27-2011, 04:15 PM
If you choose not to give it too him because it is too big of a gift, instead of selling it you could try donating it to your local school. Our school has been trying to get one for the special Ed students to use but have been denied because of school budget (but they can get a new football and baseball fields put in, but that's a whole other post). So you look into some schools in your area and see if they are in need of one. Just an idea

barkley1
11-27-2011, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't either. I'd sell it on CL and use that money towards the Xmas budget :)

ellies mom
11-27-2011, 04:21 PM
I would. I'd control what goes on it and set limits as necessary (limit time and places if it becomes an issue for example) but yeah, I'd give it to my daughter.

BayGirl2
11-27-2011, 04:30 PM
I would keep it around as a family ipad that he is allowed to use on occasion, but not give it as a straight up gift. If I did give it to him, it wouldn't be from Santa, I would give it from mom and dad and let him know exactly where it came from. JMHO.

:yeahthat:There are plenty of age appropriate apps, and it's a better screen than the iPod touch. You can easily restrict Internet acces and remove any apps you don't want him using.

I think it's fine for a kid that age to use an iPad. But I would want to retain "control" and not set a precedent for that dive of gift. Even better if you can tie in a lesson about the rewards of working hard.

roseyloxs
11-27-2011, 04:32 PM

:yeahthat: I like that. I think keeping it around as a family iPad is a great idea. Then you aren't raising the stakes with gift giving and he'll still get to use it.

kristenk
11-27-2011, 05:01 PM
It's an extravagant gift, but I think I'd do it. I would definitely let him know that it's from you and DH. Get it set up with some apps and a great case. He'll be thrilled. :)

I would probably include a note that must be read before the gift is opened that basically goes over limits on usage, but in a cute way. I think written notes make more of an impact that just telling kids and it would add a bit of suspense, as long as you don't give away the surprise in the note! I tried to think of sample wording, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

KrisM
11-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Just curious, as we don't have any ipads, but does a family really need 3 of them? Would there be something better to do with the money, rather than repeating what is already in the family.

We do have a couple computers, so maybe it's like that, especially if you don't have an actual computer and use the ipad instead.

mommylamb
11-27-2011, 05:34 PM
What about saving it for his 9th birthday present, since you thought about getting him an ereader at that point anyway?

maestramommy
11-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Ehhhh, that's a tough one. I tend to agree with your Dh, that it's really an expensive toy for an 8yo. Do you know any teenagers or college students who could really use one. I mean REALLY use it, not just as another entertainment device?

wolverine2
11-27-2011, 05:55 PM
I'd sell it (or keep the new one and sell the old one).

Unless you wouldn't let him use the other 2 you have, I don't see why he would need his own...

larig
11-27-2011, 06:01 PM
I agree with some people upthread (baygirl2, ellies mom, nfceagles...). I'd keep it for him, and not give it as a gift. Allow him to use it at your discretion.

infomama
11-27-2011, 06:14 PM
I wouldn't.

Pyrodjm
11-27-2011, 06:15 PM
I would give the old ipad to him. It IS a big gift but, if I happened to have an extra and my 8 year old wanted it, I wouldn't hesitate.

LD92599
11-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Definitely give him yours. He is not too young at all.

Our school uses ipads as well and there's definitely alot of educational material.

connor_mommy
11-27-2011, 06:35 PM
I would give the old ipad to him. It IS a big gift but, if I happened to have an extra and my 8 year old wanted it, I wouldn't hesitate.

Same here. But I would tell him that Daddy worked extra hard and it was a reward from from work. But I would also set guidelines as to when he can use it and what he can do on it. Basically, mommy still owns and controls it, but he can use it.

s7714
11-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Yes I would. I dont see much of a difference between giving a DC a game player like a DS or a computer to use vs a iPad.

crl
11-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Just curious, as we don't have any ipads, but does a family really need 3 of them? Would there be something better to do with the money, rather than repeating what is already in the family.

We do have a couple computers, so maybe it's like that, especially if you don't have an actual computer and use the ipad instead.

But we can't choose money here; it would come from the firm along with the monetary bonus. They would not give an option for money instead. So the only way to have money instead would be to sell it. Which I mentioned as a possibility in my op. So is selling what you would do? (And of course no one needs an iPad at all. They are absolutely luxury items. I use mine as a computer substitute. Dh takes his with him all the time and uses it for work a good bit.)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Catherine

Catherine

crl
11-27-2011, 07:08 PM
I'd sell it (or keep the new one and sell the old one).

Unless you wouldn't let him use the other 2 you have, I don't see why he would need his own...

I don't share my tech. I refuse. I am selfish. Dh let's ds use his sometimes, but dh is often gone with it or using it for work.

Catherine

wolverine2
11-27-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't share my tech. I refuse. I am selfish. Dh let's ds use his sometimes, but dh is often gone with it or using it for work.

Catherine

In that case, I could see how it would be useful to have it. But I think I wouldn't give it as a gift, just keep it as "the family ipad" but he would use it.

I don't know why, but it always shocks me when I hear of 7-8 yr olds who have ipads or itouches (or laptops)- but maybe I'm just old fashioned and need to get with the program. My DS1 does have a DSi, but it's use is very limited. Maybe I think that's different because itouches and ipads are so much more expensive?

kijip
11-27-2011, 07:32 PM
In that case, I could see how it would be useful to have it. But I think I wouldn't give it as a gift, just keep it as "the family ipad" but he would use it.

I don't know why, but it always shocks me when I hear of 7-8 yr olds who have ipads or itouches (or laptops)- but maybe I'm just old fashioned and need to get with the program. My DS1 does have a DSi, but it's use is very limited. Maybe I think that's different because itouches and ipads are so much more expensive?

I used to totally agree with you and in fact refused to buy a DS for years. This year, T is 8.5 and getting a Touch. Why the change of heart? He is a little older, and the content of the Touch is more interesting to him and to me for him to have. Plus he has shown an interest in using ours.

A new nintendo DS is anywhere from around $100-175 depending on the model, less on a used sale or something. Games then cost money for each one. A Touch starts at $180-200 or so (more for more space) and game apps can be had for free or very cheap (ie: $2-5 vs. $10-20+ each for DS games used and more new). Plus we can add extremely educational content on the Touch, like a birding field guide for our wannabe ornithologist. I don't really think that the Touch is out of scale with the DS once you factor in higher game cost. I think they are both extremely big gift items each with the potential for high play values (AND each with potential for low play value if say it is only used to play Angry Birds or Mario!) Also, a lot of the kids I know with Touches have them as handmedowns from mom and dad. It is not an every year gift, but I don't think it is much different than giving him a DS (which nearly every kid we know his age has).

kijip
11-27-2011, 07:35 PM
I don't know what I would do. I would be inclined to sell it but we do have a "family iPad" that we already share freely with out 8.5 year old and use for homeschooling stuff too. He is not really on it much as he prefers to use the computer and we do not have the new one with the camera, which is a big draw to him.

I do think that if you give it as a gift that does not mean that subsequent years need larger gifts or that he would have unfettered access to it. I mean, my son bought Mindstorms with his own money. If he is acting up and losing a toy for a specified amount of time, I don't let him keep the Mindstorms because he bought it. I can and do restrict it just like anything else. Same goes for time limits etc.

I might give it to the kids collectively as a group gift? Or save for his birthday when he is 9 (especially if your other Xmas shopping is done.). While I don't think I would give an iPad to an 8 year old, I won't say that you should not. Obviously, I did not think I would be giving my son a touch at this age yet here I am.

KLD313
11-27-2011, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't go out and buy one but since you're getting it for free I would give it to him. I would also tell him how it was acquired so he doesn't think he'll be getting expensive gifts all the time.

jacksmomtobe
11-27-2011, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't give it as a gift. I've a bit skeptical of giving expensive gives to kids. I've seen with my 2 nephews (now tween & teenageer) who were given all sorts of expensive gadgets at what I consider an early age and they just have no respect for the value of anything. They just expect the newest thing and if it breaks another one. I would consider keeping it as a family ipad where you explain that it was a bonus and control the usage.

Another option is to donate it somewhere. Our school had a raffle of one last year and people were very interested in getting a chance to own one. I think we made over $2k selling $10 tickets. Just an idea.

JoyNChrist
11-27-2011, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't go out and buy one but since you're getting it for free I would give it to him. I would also tell him how it was acquired so he doesn't think he'll be getting expensive gifts all the time.

My 4yo plays on my iPad all the time. There haven been times when I wished we had two of them so that I didn't have to take it from him when I needed it or worry about the Internet access or whatever.

Now, I would never go BUY him one, because that's a really expensive gift and out of the realm of reasonable for our financial situation. But if I happened to be given one, I would give it to him and explain where it came from.

If I needed the money, I would sell it, but I wouldn't NOT give my kid something he would enjoy that cost me nothing just on principle.

mommy111
11-27-2011, 07:43 PM
If your DS will use it on a semi-regular basis, I would totally give him your old one. I don't think I would get one specifically for him, but if you're getting one anyway, I would explain the circumstances to him and give one to him.

KrisM
11-27-2011, 07:45 PM
But we can't choose money here; it would come from the firm along with the monetary bonus. They would not give an option for money instead. So the only way to have money instead would be to sell it. Which I mentioned as a possibility in my op. So is selling what you would do? (And of course no one needs an iPad at all. They are absolutely luxury items. I use mine as a computer substitute. Dh takes his with him all the time and uses it for work a good bit.)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Catherine

Catherine

I'd sell it, which is what I meant about using the money. I wasn't clear about that at all :).

wellyes
11-27-2011, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't give it as a gift. I've a bit skeptical of giving expensive gives to kids. I've seen with my 2 nephews (now tween & teenageer) who were given all sorts of expensive gadgets at what I consider an early age and they just have no respect for the value of anything. They just expect the newest thing and if it breaks another one. I would consider keeping it as a family ipad where you explain that it was a bonus and control the usage.

Yeah. This is kind of how I feel too. I wouldn't give my child a $500 anything for Christmas. An ipad would be a dream gift for many adults, you already have one, having an additional one just for him --- that would feel wrong for me. Like something that should be precious and special is ho-hum everyone has one.

Plus, if it's his, I think it might be harder to limit screen time. Which is already a huge challenge!

maestramommy
11-27-2011, 08:47 PM
I just asked Dh his opinion, and he said sell it! Either sell your old one, or better yet, sell the new one for more! Just put it on CL or something.

the other thought I had was, do you know anyone with a very special needs child who could benefit from the special apps I've been hearing so much about?

JBaxter
11-27-2011, 09:19 PM
We are a tech driven family. Connor is on his computer in the basement probably playing xbox live with someone Im typing way on my lap top Jack is playing frisbee on the ipad Nathan is on his DS watching transformers Im moving books to my Kindle fire I do NOT share my KFire. Our family desk top has hard drive issue Logan has his lap top at school.

I would in a heart beat give one to Nathan especially if it was gifted to us.

crl
11-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks everyone. Dh thought about it some more and decided he agrees with me that IF he gets a free one, we should give one to ds. For me, it feels kind of scrooge-ish not to give it to him. If I wanted one (and didn't already have it) but we had decided it wasn't in the budget, we would absolutely keep a free one for me. So, why not ds?

I'm still thinking about how we would present it to him. We just bought him snow boots and a bib and plan to give him a day in the snow. That combo is to be our big present to him. It's not really something Santa could give him, yk? I don't have any presents for him from Santa yet. I've been struggling to come up with something. He has asked for almost nothing, even when I asked what he wanted. I passed the couple of ideas I had on to my parents to get him. So this would solve the Santa dilemma if we went that route. . . .

I appreciate the feedback!
Catherine

egoldber
11-27-2011, 09:29 PM
For me, it would depend on the 8 year old. I think some 8 year olds are mature enough and responsible enough to have an expensive, relatively fragile technology like an iPad. My older DD was definitely not ready at 8. We are considering getting her a Fire for the holidays though, but she is now 10 and more responsible.

I don't really think that the Touch is out of scale with the DS once you factor in higher game cost.

I used to be very anti iAnything for kids until I figured out the economics of it. The game prices for iTech is zero to trivial. For something like a DS it is a HUGE ongoing cost of owning the technology and keeping it fresh.

wolverine2
11-27-2011, 09:34 PM
A new nintendo DS is anywhere from around $100-175 depending on the model, less on a used sale or something. Games then cost money for each one. A Touch starts at $180-200 or so (more for more space) and game apps can be had for free or very cheap (ie: $2-5 vs. $10-20+ each for DS games used and more new). Plus we can add extremely educational content on the Touch, like a birding field guide for our wannabe ornithologist. I don't really think that the Touch is out of scale with the DS once you factor in higher game cost. I think they are both extremely big gift items each with the potential for high play values (AND each with potential for low play value if say it is only used to play Angry Birds or Mario!) Also, a lot of the kids I know with Touches have them as handmedowns from mom and dad. It is not an every year gift, but I don't think it is much different than giving him a DS (which nearly every kid we know his age has).

Yes, that makes sense. We kind of inherited the DS and have only bought 1 real game (plus a couple Game Boy Advance games that were really cheap) so that hasn't been an issue for us, but I can see how actually buying games would add up quickly. I'll probably be singing a different tune in a couple of years!

crl
11-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Oh just to add, dh says we could not sell the new one. So selling would only net us what my used one would go for. I'm randomly guessing around $200? If we were going to give him a cheaper tablet for his birthday anyway, I think the net savings for selling now and buying less expensive tech later would be not all that much.

Catherine

Melbel
11-27-2011, 11:00 PM
So long as the street value of the used iPad is in the ball park of what you would spend anyhow, I would give it to your DS (from you, not Santa). It sounds like he would really love the gift. Although it was not our initial plan, both DS and DD1 (ages 10 and 11) have iPads (it was a bribe/reward to simply get DS through the school year last spring when he became so sick). While not all of the apps are educational, there is ample opportunity for learning. A year ago, we never would have envisioned DS and DD1 with iPads, but sometimes, you have to roll with circumstances.

ETA: Both DS and DD1 have been responsible with their iPads overall. We do carefully monitor use.

wellyes
11-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Oh just to add, dh says we could not sell the new one.

The company won't give you cash equivalent and won't let you sell? That is peculiar.

justlearning
11-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Can your DH opt out of the ipad bonus and get a cash bonus instead? If so, that'd be my preference. If you're happy with you current ipads, then I'd also consider selling the new one to get cash. Having said that, I'll share what we're doing...

DS1 (also 8) will be getting Lego Mindstorms for Christmas this year. My plan was for that to be his only gift using money from us and relatives combined.

But then my dad said that he has a computer and monitor that's sitting in a closet that he hasn't used since getting a new computer. He said that he wouldn't get any money selling it and it'd be perfect to give to DS to use for programming with the Mindstorms. (He wouldn't have the internet on it.)

So we are giving it as a gift but to make it less extravagant a gift for DS, we're saying that it's a computer for both of our boys to share that will have educational software on it, the software for Mindstorms, etc. They will also know that it's a hand-me-down from their grandpa instead of thinking that they bought them a new computer.

If you were to just give the ipad to your son and he thought that you went out and bought him a brand new one, then that seems too extravagant in my opinion. But if you said that here's an ipad that you can read books with and we're passing this down to you because we got another one, then it doesn't seem as bad to me.

justlearning
11-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks everyone. Dh thought about it some more and decided he agrees with me that IF he gets a free one, we should give one to ds. For me, it feels kind of scrooge-ish not to give it to him. If I wanted one (and didn't already have it) but we had decided it wasn't in the budget, we would absolutely keep a free one for me. So, why not ds?

I'm still thinking about how we would present it to him. We just bought him snow boots and a bib and plan to give him a day in the snow. That combo is to be our big present to him. It's not really something Santa could give him, yk? I don't have any presents for him from Santa yet. I've been struggling to come up with something. He has asked for almost nothing, even when I asked what he wanted. I passed the couple of ideas I had on to my parents to get him. So this would solve the Santa dilemma if we went that route. . . .

I appreciate the feedback!
Catherine

I posted without reading through the thread and now just skimmed it. Would your relatives cooperate in making the snow gear come from some of them, so you can then have those presents come from Santa and then the used ipad from you?

octmom
11-27-2011, 11:27 PM
I used to be very anti iAnything for kids until I figured out the economics of it. The game prices for iTech is zero to trivial. For something like a DS it is a HUGE ongoing cost of owning the technology and keeping it fresh.

This is why I'm considering giving 8 y.o. DS an iPod Touch this Christmas. A Nintendo DS will cost nearly as much as an 8G Touch, but the games are waaaaaay more expensive and the Touch can do more. I missed Target's 2-day sale deal, but I picked up a Touch today with a 10% off coupon, got an additional 5% off for using my red card, and it came with a $15 Target g.c. that I will use to buy him an iTunes g.c. if I decide to keep it and give it to DS. He'd get one Nintendo DS game for $15 if he was lucky, but could get tons of free apps and quite a few cheap paid ones for the same $15 through iTunes.

DS loves my iPad and I think 8 y.o. is OK for using one as long as the parent puts limits on time and makes expectations very clear about what is allowed. DS uses my iPad all the time, but has never tried surfing the web on it. If he had his own iPad due to a freebie like the OP has, I think I would insist that it be used in public areas of the house so that I knew how much time he spent on it and could keep an eye on activities.

crl
11-27-2011, 11:28 PM
Don't ask me. I know they won't let people opt for more cash. I have no idea if they are able to get a reduced price due to volume (they would be giving out a thousand or so I think). And I have no idea why dh says we can't sell the new one. I don't know if he has some legal reason or some tax reason or some concern about not offending work. Doesn't matter, I'm just taking his word for it.

Good to hear that iPads have gone well for some other people. Ds' itouch still works and isn't lost and he has had it since he was four, I think that bodes well. Although I admit that we would let him use the iPad more than he has used the itouch.

Our dd is just 20 months and her family nickname is destructo girl. She will NOT be allowed to use the iPad. So it really can't be a joint gift. And since dh and I already have iPads, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to have it be a "family" iPad. Ds would be the only one to use it.

Thanks everyone!
Catherine

JBaxter
11-27-2011, 11:52 PM
the Griffin military grade case works nice for the iPad 2. VERY heavy duty.

crl
11-27-2011, 11:55 PM
the Griffin military grade case works nice for the iPad 2. VERY heavy duty.

Good to know. I am leaning towards giving ds my original and taking the new one for myself.

Watch all this and they will decide not to give them after all. :hysterical:

Catherine

kijip
11-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Yes, that makes sense. We kind of inherited the DS and have only bought 1 real game (plus a couple Game Boy Advance games that were really cheap) so that hasn't been an issue for us, but I can see how actually buying games would add up quickly. I'll probably be singing a different tune in a couple of years!

Our story is a similar handmedown situation. We got iPhones for $99 earlier this month and a work discounted phone and data plan. That left us with a 1 year old iPod Touch that we were like, hmmm, this could be a great big Christmas gift. Ask me not long ago and I would have said no way no how. I had been coming around to possibly relenting on the DS (which I had mainly put off because I was concerned about him retreating into it when he was younger) when he announced he was no longer interested in it. The economics of having it on hand made it easier too...we spent $22 on an otterbox case and $15 on the Audubon field guide plus a few bucks on some other apps, and loaded it with free apps. So under $45 for his biggest gift. ETA: the pocket sized searchable field guide thing was a huge bonus. He is getting some illustrated printed field guides from my dad for Xmas but this allows him to have an on hand reference. He is really into identifying birds, trees, flowers and insects these days. Some days I wonder if it is possible for him to be an even bigger geek and then he goes and becomes a birder!

BayGirl2
11-28-2011, 01:09 AM
I really think an iPad is a better value than the kid's electronics like a LeapFrog, Vtech, etc. For one thing you can get a lot of apps for free or very cheap. You can also add books, virtually unlimited books. And more importantly, it has longevity. When the child grows out of the preschool apps you can delete them and add new ones, no new hardware required. Plus it takes up less space. This seems way more efficient and flexible to me than a the age-specific things like an Explorer, MobiGo, Tag, etc.

Typically if a kid is getting an iPad for their own use its not because the parent is spending $500, its a hand me down or freebie. But even so, I just don't think one big item makes a kid develop a spoiled/entitled attitude. That has more to do with a pattern of giving with no understanding or appreciation for the value of the gift.

CRL - I think it makes perfect sense to give your DS the iPad. In terms of breakabilty and your DD, my DS has been using mine (I share my tech but would prefer not to:wink2: ) since he was just over a year. At that age he had to be sitting next to us to play with it and must remain calm and be gentle. Now he still must be sitting down to hold it but has more independence. We've never had a problem with destructiveness because he knows its a privilege we would take away immediately.

KrisM
11-28-2011, 01:47 AM
I really think an iPad is a better value than the kid's electronics like a LeapFrog, Vtech, etc. For one thing you can get a lot of apps for free or very cheap. You can also add books, virtually unlimited books. And more importantly, it has longevity. When the child grows out of the preschool apps you can delete them and add new ones, no new hardware required. Plus it takes up less space. This seems way more efficient and flexible to me than a the age-specific things like an Explorer, MobiGo, Tag, etc.

One big thing those other systems have is that I am totally willing to let a 2 or 3 year old play a Leapster in the car, out of my control and supervision. No way would I let them play on a ipad, even if it's a hand-me-down. Obviously, and 8 year old is totally different, but just pointing out that the kid devices are useful in some situations.

kijip
11-28-2011, 01:59 AM
One big thing those other systems have is that I am totally willing to let a 2 or 3 year old play a Leapster in the car, out of my control and supervision. No way would I let them play on a ipad, even if it's a hand-me-down. Obviously, and 8 year old is totally different, but just pointing out that the kid devices are useful in some situations.

In an otterbox defender I do. it is a huge extoskeleton rubberized case for it. I have dropped my iPad down the stairs :bag and it has been fine. We don't take the iPad in the car but I have no issue letting F who is not yet 3 tap around for short amounts of time while I am out of the room. That said, I do see the appeal of a Leapster and may get one for F at some point. We did not for T and I think given his HFA and tendancy to separate himself when he was little that was the right call.

hoodlims
11-28-2011, 02:14 AM
Does he have a birthday coming up soon? You can possibly save it and give it later, so you don't have to buy anything else.

KrisM
11-28-2011, 02:40 AM
In an otterbox defender I do. it is a huge extoskeleton rubberized case for it. I have dropped my iPad down the stairs :bag and it has been fine. We don't take the iPad in the car but I have no issue letting F who is not yet 3 tap around for short amounts of time while I am out of the room. That said, I do see the appeal of a Leapster and may get one for F at some point. We did not for T and I think given his HFA and tendancy to separate himself when he was little that was the right call.

Wow, I didn't know they were that good. Good to know! I just picture DS2 - when he's done with the Leapster, he just drops it to the floor of the van towards me so that I can get it for him later. Our Leapsters and the DS rarely get used outside the car. We do multi hour trips pretty regularly in the summer, including a 15 hour trip, so they get used then quite a bit. Inside, the kids are doing other things and are don't do many video games, really.

jren
11-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Well, since we are giving our 8 year old DD an iPad for Christmas, then I vote YES. I really resisted it in the past. DD has wanted an iPod Touch forever, and she doesn't have one, isn't getting one. I have a touch and a laptop (apple) and really wanted a cheap, kid-friendly netbook for her. Her school sends homework that requires them to be on my computer, and I'm not really thrilled about her on my laptop, and we don't have a desktop. But, I'm so used to the Apple products, I couldn't get comfortable navigating around a netbook. It was frustrating, and I knew I'd end up on that thing helping her. But I wasn't up for spending $1,000 on an Apple laptop for an 8 year old! So we finally decided that an iPad would work best for our situation.

There are some really great educational apps for iPad that are not available for iPod. A spelling one where you can load their spelling words each week, and a story writer one that will help her with writing at school. An app for internet security. I bought the Gumdrop Drop Series Military Edition case, and the one-year accident plan at Best Buy. It will be housed (charged) on a high shelf in our family room. Not in her room with unrestricted, constant access. But it will be "hers" alone. She has a 3 year old brother, and he'll be able to play my iPod touch when she's on her iPad.

I don't think this would work for every family, it really depends on the child. I can totally see electronic use getting out of control for some kids. But my DD plays outside from the second she gets her homework done until the street lights go on outside, every day.

In the past, she's gotten a ton of gifts, but this year, it will be this big one, plus the case, and two smaller ones.

JBaxter
11-28-2011, 09:12 AM
I second the educational apps for iPad. Jack knows several colors in spanish from a .99 preschool prep app. He does his site word flash cards and I never ever have to pick up "memory game" cards again ours are electronic! I have no issue with Jack playing with the iPad .. though we did have it replaced when he took it into the hot tub ( best buy black tie protection play rocks btw the replaced it with the iPad 2! that day)

noodle
11-28-2011, 11:18 AM
I'd give it to my child.
Our holiday gifts vary wildly in value form year to year.

The rule in my house has been that nobody will have an ipad before mama does. ;)

roseyloxs
11-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Good to know. I am leaning towards giving ds my original and taking the new one for myself.

Watch all this and they will decide not to give them after all. :hysterical:

Catherine

Sounds about right. :rotflmao:

buttercup
11-28-2011, 12:00 PM
There are some really great educational apps for iPad that are not available for iPod. A spelling one where you can load their spelling words each week, and a story writer one that will help her with writing at school.
Please, would you mind sharing the name of the spelling word app as well as the storywriter one? We are also getting our 7 year old an Ipad for Christmas. Also, are there anyt drawing apps? My son loves to make his own comics. Many thanks in advance!

roseyloxs
11-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Please, would you mind sharing the name of the spelling word app as well as the storywriter one? We are also getting our 7 year old an Ipad for Christmas. Also, are there anyt drawing apps? My son loves to make his own comics. Many thanks in advance!

Check out toontastic. It's an app for drawing and animating cartoons. Has great reviews. Haven't had a chance to use it myself yet.

AnnieW625
11-28-2011, 12:12 PM
I think I would give him the old one. I am in the camp that thinks that any gift of more than $200 especially an electronic one is pretty extravagant, but that is just me. Now with that said if we had an iPad I am sure both of my girls would want to play with it all of the time, and I would let them, but I wouldn't want it to be just theirs.

buttercup
11-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Check out toontastic. It's an app for drawing and animating cartoons. Has great reviews. Haven't had a chance to use it myself yet.

many thanks, I appreciate it.

Jo..
11-28-2011, 12:34 PM
If our family had 3 IPads, I would pass the oldest/least expensive on to the kids. We do the same thing with our computers. Whenever DH or I gets a new one (about every 3 years), the oldest one/s go to our kid/s.

We now have 5computers but only one ipad :rotflmao:...it was a gift.

The kids play on the ipad (educational games) and I just bought the BB $50 itunes card on sale for $40 so we can get them new apps. But the Ipad belongs to DH, and they can only use it with permission and supervision.

They would LOVE their own!

kboyle
11-28-2011, 12:36 PM
What about saving it for his 9th birthday present, since you thought about getting him an ereader at that point anyway?

though, like another pp, i wouldn't use it as an ereader, i don't like reading on it. i much prefer my e-ink nook for reading.

jren
11-28-2011, 10:28 PM

The spelling app is called SpellBoard. There is an Ipod/phone version, but only the iPad version allows you to enter your own word lists. Once you've done that, though, I think you can share your list between devices if you also have the app on iphone.

There are several story/writing apps. But the one I think I'm getting is called StoryBuilder for iPad.

buttercup
11-29-2011, 03:36 PM
The spelling app is called SpellBoard. There is an Ipod/phone version, but only the iPad version allows you to enter your own word lists. Once you've done that, though, I think you can share your list between devices if you also have the app on iphone.

There are several story/writing apps. But the one I think I'm getting is called StoryBuilder for iPad.

Thank you very much, jren.

Globetrotter
11-29-2011, 03:42 PM
When I've bought expensive (at original cost) items for the kids (purchased at crazy BBB prices of course!) I TELL them specifically that I bought it because I got it at a very good price. I don't want them to think I'll just spend the money without thinking or give them the impression that they will always get such nice stuff, though honestly they do, given my bargain hunting talent :p

I do the same for clothes. They wear top brands, but I tell them I only buy on clearance.

crl
12-01-2011, 01:32 AM
Bumping for update in OP.

maestramommy
12-01-2011, 07:46 AM
:tongue5: Well, at least you have no dilemma now! Life is easier!

KrisM
12-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Makes that an easier decision!

Although if it were me, and I'd decided to give the old one, now I'd be wondering if I should buy a new one to hand down the old one anyway. Ugh!

roseyloxs
12-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Bummer. I guess Santa will need to find something else.

sweetsue98
12-01-2011, 10:06 AM
I was actually thinking about that when I posted but didn't want it to come across rude. I know you mentioned they might be giving out ipads. Problem solved right???

wellyes
12-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Makes that an easier decision!

Although if it were me, and I'd decided to give the old one, now I'd be wondering if I should buy a new one to hand down the old one anyway. Ugh! Me too :ROTFLMAO: Hope the bonus exceeds the cost of an ipad!