PDA

View Full Version : Another Kindle Thread.....should I get 3G or save $50?

MamaSnoo
11-27-2011, 03:48 PM
So, very nice DH decided to give me a kindle for my b-day this year. The only problem is that I am not super techie, so I had not spent anytime looking at them before, and the Fire was released the week of my b-day. So, DH had no idea which one to get me, and told me when I researched it, he would order it. Poor guy.

Anywho....I have decided that I do not want the Fire. I am glad I waited to see the reviews and here some discussion about it here. I really want an e-reader, and I am going to go with the Touch.

My question is: do you think I should ask him to get me the 3G or is just the wifi fine? I do not travel much, but I do go a little and also spend some weekends at my parents.

I think he would be happy to get me either one I ask for.

Also (remember I am a late-adopter), do I need some sort of cover for this thing? Something with a built in light? Does anyone have a particular one they think is really good?

KrisM
11-27-2011, 03:54 PM
I got the Wifi version. Do you have wifi at home? If not, get the 3G for sure. But, if so, I couldn't find a good reason to pay for 3G. I figure I will just be sure it's loaded with a few books before I leave for a vacation. The odds of me being on vacation and having nothing to read and not being able to find a free wifi was small enough to not pay for 3G.

vludmilla
11-27-2011, 04:10 PM
I you have wifi at home and don't travel much I would get the wifi version and save the $50. DH just got it for me last night and I am enjoying it already.

karstmama
11-27-2011, 04:35 PM
yeah, what they said on the wifi/3g. there are lots of covers. some come with lights. the amazon one, though, runs the light off the kindle battery so you just recharge the kindle instead of having to change a light battery. i like it, but you may prefer a different case and a separate light that you could also use on other books.

TwinFoxes
11-27-2011, 04:44 PM
If you travel outside of the US, I'd vote the 3G version, because you can use it for free web surfing. My bigger dilemma was whether to get the cheaper one with "special offers" which so far have been pretty un-special and look a lot like ads (wow, Dove makes body wash!) I am thinking of returning mine and springing for the ad-free one. But I'm going to give myself a few days to see if I get used to the ads (I got mine last night, and other than the ads, totally love it!)

jenmcadams
11-27-2011, 04:49 PM
If you travel outside of the US, I'd vote the 3G version, because you can use it for free web surfing. My bigger dilemma was whether to get the cheaper one with "special offers" which so far have been pretty un-special and look a lot like ads (wow, Dove makes body wash!) I am thinking of returning mine and springing for the ad-free one. But I'm going to give myself a few days to see if I get used to the ads (I got mine last night, and other than the ads, totally love it!)

Just an FYI, I think you can turn the offers off by paying the extra $30 at Amazon...

TwinFoxes
11-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Just an FYI, I think you can turn the offers off by paying the extra $30 at Amazon...

That would be sooo cool if I didn't have to return it. :) Thanks!

TwoBees
11-27-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm pretty sure that you cannot use the 3 G to web surf, only to download books. Maybe outside the US is different.

Here's the info from Amazon's website:

WebKit-Based Browser Kindle Touch 3G's experimental web browser is based on WebKit. It's easy to find the information you're looking for right from your Kindle Touch 3G. Kindle Touch 3G enables you to connect to the Kindle Store and access Wikipedia - all over 3G or Wi-Fi. Experimental web browsing on other websites is only available over Wi-Fi.

See last line.

TwoBees
11-27-2011, 05:41 PM

Yes, you can do this.

KrisM
11-27-2011, 05:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that you cannot use the 3 G to web surf, only to download books. Maybe outside the US is different.

I can surf on my wifi Touch. Is it different on the 3G? Can you disconnect the 3G? I'm in the US. It's not pretty, but it works.

KrisM
11-27-2011, 05:48 PM
just tedting this out. I am posting from my Kindle Touch. It is a pain but it doable.

TwoBees
11-27-2011, 05:52 PM
just tedting this out. I am posting from my Kindle Touch. It is a pain but it doable.

And you aren't connected to WiFi right now?

KrisM
11-27-2011, 05:53 PM
And you aren't connected to WiFi right now?

No, I have wifi version. I was just playing :)

mom2khj
11-27-2011, 07:31 PM
I opted for 3G because I use my Kindle mostly at work (lunch break) and have no Wi-fi there. I hate having to be sure it's loaded up before going to work. So, to me, it was worth the extra for the 3G. I also got the special offers version and don't even notice the ads. When it's off, the ads are no different than the "screen saver" pictures that were on my old Kindle. When I'm on the home screen, it's just a small banner across the bottom and I hardly notice it at all.