PDA

View Full Version : Help me with preemie sizing (esp Pumpkin Patch)

NCGrandma
11-27-2011, 05:57 PM
A good friend's first DGS was just born at 34 weeks, 17.5" and just under 4 lbs. I know that the parents have tons of baby gear for typical size newborns but I would like to get them a couple of preemie-sized outfits.

My family and I have really liked Pumpkin Patch baby clothes for DGD2, and the PP 40% off sale is still on, so that's where I'm looking. BUT, although they sell some items in 'prem' and 'tiny prem,' the size chart at the PP website starts with newborn! Any experience with PP preemie stuff? (I sent an e-mail to their CS but want to order fast, before the sale goes away!)

Simon
11-27-2011, 09:33 PM
I don't have experience with Pumpkin Patch preemie clothing, but having had 2 preemies, I think it is a great gift idea.

Our experience is that Little Me preemie stuff ran super small and then Carter's and Gymbo were a little bigger. Ds1 was 34 weeks and wore preemie sleepers, etc. for several weeks (a month?), Ds2 was 35 weeks and only lasted about 2 weeks because his long arms stuck out of the preemie clothing.

17.5 inches sounds long to me, which will affect fit, though at his weight he is well under most posted guidelines for preemie clothing. I would think the PP preemie and not tiny preemie would be best (at his age he isn't a microprem by a long shot).

NCGrandma
11-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Thanks! I went ahead and ordered a couple of things from Pumpkin Patch in their 'regular' preemie size (still on sale, still got FS!).

I agree that 17.5" sounds a bit long for a sub-4-pounder -- I wonder whether the proud-but-worried grandparents might have gotten that info wrong? Anyway, even if he doesn't wear these for long, I think they'll enjoy having something that fits a little better than what they have.