PDA

View Full Version : frequent mushy stools in a 3 yo-updated in post 6

elephantmeg
11-27-2011, 09:49 PM
DD is my frequent pooper and it seems to be getting worse. After at least one meal a day (sometimes 2 or all 3) she complains of her stomach hurting and goes poop. She wakes up at 6:30 to poop. And her poop is yellowish and very soft. I'm wondering if she has a food intolerance and if so to what? She is well nourished, appears healthy, is active and super smart so I haven't worried about it but this has been going on for a while (6 months or more). Would you call the Dr and ask for testing? Do some preliminary elimination of something (milk, wheat?). We have no history of celiac or lactose intollerance in the family but my dad and I both have issues with corn and apples. And I feel better over all eating low carb (which certainly involves less wheat).

wellyes
11-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Yes, I'd definitely call for daily+ tummy aches and irregularity.

There are a ton of things it could be, but my first guess is lactose. That is how lactose intolerance works for most people: eat, feel gassy, loose stools. In my experience (which is adult onset only) gluten intolerance isn't quite so simply cause-and-effect.... it has layers of symptoms beyond digestive issues and the GI symptoms don't usually present after each meal.

Claki
11-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Any chance she has low iron?

We had something like that this summer too. At the time DS1 wasn't taking his polyvisol with iron. I was hoping to find something more palatable for him. But I never could find a kid vitamin he could take with iron. Then I restarted the polyvisol with iron and his poops firmed up and darkened up immediately. He has tested low for iron several times.

amldaley
11-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Yes, I'd definitely call for daily+ tummy aches and irregularity.

There are a ton of things it could be, but my first guess is lactose. That is how lactose intolerance works for most people: eat, feel gassy, loose stools. In my experience (which is adult onset only) gluten intolerance isn't quite so simply cause-and-effect.... it has layers of symptoms beyond digestive issues and the GI symptoms don't usually present after each meal.

:yeahthat:

DrSally
11-27-2011, 11:07 PM
My first thought is lactose too. You could do a dairy elimination and see. When I was bfing DS (milk allergy), I eliminated obvious dairy (not traces) for 2 years. When I started eating dairy again I had temporary LI. The body stops making lactase if it isn't supplied lactose to digest. It was horrible--stomach cramping, diarrhea, etc. It took me about 6 months to get my lactase working again. This doesn't apply to your DD, sorry to get off track. Anyway, if she does have LI, the lactaid milk tastes fine.

elephantmeg
12-02-2011, 08:46 AM
update: changed her to lactaid and she is night and day different! Wow. I also took lactaid to school and asked them not to give her ice cream or pudding or yogurt. She ate some yogurt here this morning and is now in the bathroom, I guess we'll see what happens!

wellyes
12-02-2011, 08:59 AM
GOOD! Love it when a solution is easy to find!

Many people with lactose intolerance are OK with active culture yogurts, so hopefully she'll be fine. The bacteria digests the lactose (something like that). Greek yogurt especially.

The other tip I have is that eventually you can try lactose pills with her. They work and are so convenient. It is a nice way for lactose intolerance people to occasionally enjoy ice cream or a creamy dish. DH always has some in his car, no reason not to.

elephantmeg
12-02-2011, 09:10 AM
yogurt did fine, poop was solid and formed! And I did pick up some lactase pills-plan on trying them out the next time she wants egg nog or ice cream!

daisymommy
12-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Bryers has a Lactose free ice-cream!
And many times lactose intolerant people can eat cheese, because it too is cultured (like yogurt).
DS #1 was L.I. for his first two years and then outgrew it.

DrSally
12-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Good!!!

DrSally
12-02-2011, 10:49 AM
The good thing is that she'll prob only have to avoid obvious dairy(not whey or caesin in processed foods, like dairy allergic people). She may very well outgrow it. Also, never tried the pills, but they're convenient and fine. Lactaid is basically reg milk with the active ingre in the pill dissolved in there.