PDA

View Full Version : How/Where Do You Store Your Sandwich Bread For School Lunches

Kindra178
11-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Ds1 takes sandwiches to school every day, usually sunbutter/jelly or cream cheese on whole wheat bread (usually TJs, WFs, Rudis, Natural Ovens or Costco). Lately he's been telling me the bread is hard and doesn't taste good.

I leave our sandwich bread in the fridge. I know refrigerating bread is a no-no, but I can't leave it on the counter or in a drawer breadbox. When we make sandwiches at home, all of our bread gets heated somehow, so hard bread has never been an issue. If I left the bread frozen and made sandwiches on frozen bread every day, would it taste ok by lunch? Would that preserve freshness?

SnuggleBuggles
11-27-2011, 10:33 PM
I admit that bread is one of the very few things that I buy at Target and I don't worry about the preservatives. I usually do something like Peppridge Farms soft whole wheat bread and it really stays soft. I find that the more natural breads just are dry and hard, plus they go bad too quickly due to fewer preservatives. So, because of the kind of bread I buy, I just keep it on the counter. It's fine for quite a while.

Beth

ncat
11-27-2011, 10:41 PM
we refrigerate sandwich bread

I toast it for the sandwiches, it seems OK.

We usually get some kind of whole grain bread with lots of fiber from TJs

JBaxter
11-27-2011, 10:43 PM
I use 2 loaves / week. It is fine staying out. Summer I put it in the fridge because we dont use as much.

jjordan
11-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Why can't you leave it out?

You could freeze half a loaf at a time, so that the amount you leave out will stay fresh until it is used up.

DrSally
11-27-2011, 11:01 PM
I leave it out on the counter. If it's close to the exp. date, I put it in the freezer and make frozen sandwiches (soybutter and jam). They defrost by the time they're eaten and I haven't had any complaints (toast the bread if at home).

wendmatt
11-27-2011, 11:09 PM
I always used to keep bread in the fridge but then DH and DD said it was dry so now I leave it in the kitchen cupboard and it stays fresher. I think it would work to keep it frozen and then make it so it thaws by lunchtime, but I get the wholegrain white (I wish they would just like the wholewheat like I eat but that's another story!) and it does not stay fresh if frozen for some reason. WW is fine to freeze and make sandwich with frozen bread, that's what I do with cheese to keep it fresher for me but the other stuff doesn't work the same.

ahisma
11-27-2011, 11:24 PM
I leave it out. We go through about 3 loaves a week and have no problems. Storebought, local bakery, home made...it all stays out. We have 5 people eating a sandwich a day (lunch) - so 50 slices / week total.

daniele_ut
11-28-2011, 12:38 AM
I usually buy 4 loaves at a time at Costco and freeze it the excess until we are ready to use it. Once it's defrosted, though, it stays out on the counter, well actually on top of the microwave. We go through at least 2 loaves a week, so it never gets moldy.

MMMommy
11-28-2011, 02:17 AM
I remember watching some Food Network or Cooking channel show recently. It was mentioned on the show that refrigerating bread is the kiss of death to bread b/c refrigeration sucks out the moisture and dries out the bread. They recommended leaving it on the counter or freezing it, but not refrigerating it.

Nooknookmom
11-28-2011, 03:07 AM
If I'm not going to use it in 3 days, it goes in the freezer and I take it out as needed. Otherwise we make penicillin!

hillview
11-28-2011, 08:52 AM
I use 2 loaves / week. It is fine staying out. :yeahthat: