PDA

View Full Version : Buying Everyday Mathematics Book for DS

niccig
11-27-2011, 11:23 PM
DS's school uses Everyday Math (Yes, I know the concerns about the program, and so do the teachers. Every school in our area seems to use it, so there's not getting away from it.) DS told me that he doesn't like Math as sometimes he can't finish the page in his journal. I know that the teachers don't expect them to finish it all in one sitting, and they do have time to come back later to it. I told DS that I could help him with some extra practice at home, but I need him to tell me what they worked on. He said he'll forget. He wanted to know if we could have a copy of the Math book at home. I can pick up a 2nd hand one for under $5. Will I need anything else, or will that be enough for DS to show me the page they were working on, then help him with it? He did tell me one day that he couldn't finish the coins page, so he and I sat and worked on counting coins. He wants to do something similar to that.

Thanks.

Cam&Clay
11-27-2011, 11:32 PM
When you say math book, do you mean the math journal (most people would call it a workbook) or the student reference book (SRB) which should be kept at home? What grade is he in?

The journal pages (and worksheets) should have a number on them for you to reference the concept in the SRB. The SRB is very valuable for parents to have at home, which is why most teachers have them kept at home so that they don't have to be taken back and forth.

niccig
11-27-2011, 11:39 PM
When you say math book, do you mean the math journal (most people would call it a workbook) or the student reference book (SRB) which should be kept at home? What grade is he in?

The journal pages (and worksheets) should have a number on them for you to reference the concept in the SRB. The SRB is very valuable for parents to have at home, which is why most teachers have them kept at home so that they don't have to be taken back and forth.

We don't have books at home.

He pointed out the Math Journal. He's in grade 1. There's a student reference book? Mmm, that might be helpful.

DS's school doesn't really send homework home - we get one homelink a week and DS has been able to do those easily, and I haven't had difficulty helping him. They said they have enough time to do the work in class. I'm not sure what DS is worried about. His teachers say he does well in Math. I don't mind helping him at home, so far I look at the weekly homelink and do some extra practice on that with him.

ETA. we have access to the everyday math website. I might look there and see if there's something that can help. I think he might be worried as the Math is getting harder now they're past the review section of the curriculum. He did the same with reading 3 weeks ago. He said he didn't like it anymore and I think it's because he moved up to the next level and it's a little more challenging/not as easy.

nfowife
11-28-2011, 12:22 AM
I would ask the teacher for the reference book. I taught EM in first grade and liked it a lot. I don't remember a reference book at that level but it's been about 8 years since I taught the program. I think amgood idea would be something that you can use to fill in the gaps that EM has, namely facts and the basic skills. For that I've used and liked a program called excel math, which you can find online.
The teachers manual for EM might be helpful, but the teacher might not want to share it if she doesn't follow it perfectly- but it would help you see how the concepts are being taught, the terminology used, etc.
Iirc there was a supplemental workbook with EM that had additional practice and activities for struggling students. I can't remember the name of it. My district didn't purchase it for each student, we just had one copy and would make copies as needed on the xerox machine. But it did exist and you might ask if something like that is available.

larig
11-28-2011, 12:34 AM
As a parent/former math teacher I'd want a copy of the teachers' text for myself. It is helpful to understand the objectives of the lessons and motivations for teaching concepts a particular way. My dad often ordered teachers editions of the texts I was using (he was a math teacher too). You may need to use uni letterhead to get a teachers ed.

kijip
11-28-2011, 12:43 AM
I would get him the extra journal and also try and lay your hands on the teachers edition. It can be hard to do so (as a homeschooler I have had a hard time finding the teacher materials for several books which are geared to the school market rather than the homeschool market).

EDM is not a horrible program, but it helps to have an involved family and lots of time for the extras.

niccig
11-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll look into excel math to fill in the gaps - it seems our teachers are aware of them. We had a parent Math night, but the grade 1 session was led by the other grade 1 teacher, so I'm not sure what our teacher does for the gaps.

I'll looked into a teachers edition - they're all online through various bookstores.

I got some more information out of DS. He said he thinks numbers smaller than 1 are really funny and don't make sense. I asked a few question and he wrote down -1 and said it's smaller than 0. I drew the number line from -10 to 10, and it seems he understands the concept of negative numbers, but thinks it's weird.

DS's writing is also slow and I think that might be having an effect on not finishing the math work in class, as it takes him longer to write the answer. So, we'll work on that too.

niccig
11-28-2011, 12:47 AM
EDM is not a horrible program, but it helps to have an involved family and lots of time for the extras.

I've heard it depends on how it's implemented. I would feel better if our teacher had led the math night session. The other grade 1 teacher spoke about how she fills in gaps with extra drills, and said our teacher is aware of the gaps, but isn't sure how she addresses them.

I was told that DS is doing well in Math, but if he wants to go over some things they did in class for extra practice, I don't mind. I think Math is something that you have to get the basic concepts. Both DH and I were fine in Math, but our siblings struggled, so we want to make sure DS doesn't.

larig
11-28-2011, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll look into excel math to fill in the gaps - it seems our teachers are aware of them. We had a parent Math night, but the grade 1 session was led by the other grade 1 teacher, so I'm not sure what our teacher does for the gaps.

I'll looked into a teachers edition - they're all online through various bookstores.

I got some more information out of DS. He said he thinks numbers smaller than 1 are really funny and don't make sense. I asked a few question and he wrote down -1 and said it's smaller than 0. I drew the number line from -10 to 10, and it seems he understands the concept of negative numbers, but thinks it's weird.

DS's writing is also slow and I think that might be having an effect on not finishing the math work in class, as it takes him longer to write the answer. So, we'll work on that too.

Of course it's weird! We drill 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 into their heads and then shake their world up with negatives.

niccig
11-28-2011, 01:03 AM
I think amgood idea would be something that you can use to fill in the gaps that EM has, namely facts and the basic skills. For that I've used and liked a program called excel math, which you can find online.

Is this the Excel Math program you were talking about
http://excelmath.com/

niccig
11-28-2011, 01:06 AM
Of course it's weird! We drill 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 into their heads and then shake their world up with negatives.

I totally agree. I remember scratching my head when I was taught negative numbers. I think I was grade 7 or 8 though, not grade 1. He seems to understand the concept. I'll do some extra practice with him - any suggestions?

larig
11-28-2011, 01:16 AM
I think getting a kid (esp. boys) moving while they're learning is great. In this case I'd make a game of mother may I. You tell DS to move forward or backward a number of steps. AFter a round or two you tell him that you're going to say "negative" instead of "backward" and "positive" instead of "forward." Two steps forward will undo two steps backward, as negative 2 will undo positive two. It's moving about on a human-scale number line, essentially.

ETA: for the record, I would LOVE it if my kid's elementary school used this curriculum. If it doesn't I will supplement with EM at home.

nfowife
11-28-2011, 01:17 AM
Yes that's the one. I would meet with your teacher first though and see if/how she supplements and about the EM extra practice sheets. If she already uses a supplemental program you might want to do that and not add a 3rd program on top of it, kwim? But I did like excel for what it was- it is almost the opposite of EM in that it almost solely focuses on the basics and is lacking in critical thinking problems/skills. Also it has a built-in self-checking component that adds an extra layer of practice.

niccig
11-28-2011, 01:20 AM
I think getting a kid (esp. boys) moving while they're learning is great. In this case I'd make a game of mother may I. You tell DS to move forward or backward a number of steps. AFter a round or two you tell him that you're going to say "negative" instead of "backward" and "positive" instead of "forward." Two steps forward will undo two steps backward, as negative 2 will undo positive two. It's moving about on a human-scale number line, essentially.

ETA: for the record, I would LOVE it if my kid's elementary school used this curriculum. If it doesn't I will supplement with EM at home.

Thanks - that's a great idea. DS does like to move around. We learn our spelling by doing jumping jacks or jumping over blocks.

larig
11-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Thanks - that's a great idea. DS does like to move around. We learn our spelling by doing jumping jacks or jumping over blocks.

That's great. Glad to help.

niccig
11-28-2011, 02:00 AM
Yes that's the one. I would meet with your teacher first though and see if/how she supplements and about the EM extra practice sheets. If she already uses a supplemental program you might want to do that and not add a 3rd program on top of it, kwim? But I did like excel for what it was- it is almost the opposite of EM in that it almost solely focuses on the basics and is lacking in critical thinking problems/skills. Also it has a built-in self-checking component that adds an extra layer of practice.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't want to add any confusion to what DS is learning. I just want extra practice as he needs it. I can't solely rely on him telling me what they did in Math, as he doesn't remember it. I'll get the student manual + teacher's guide, so he can show me what they did and I can then find extra things to do. So far, I've just been searching online, but it might help to have a program where I can pull out the lesson for odd/even numbers and have him go over that as practice.

niccig
11-28-2011, 02:05 AM
I asked a few more questions at bed time and DS tells me that he wants to get the student journal and then as he knows the last page, he wants me to go over the next page BEFORE they do it in class, so when they do it, he'll know how to do it and be able to finish it all. I told him that I might explain it in a different way to his teacher. He then said "can you get the teacher's book as well, so then you teach me the same?" I asked why he's worried about not finishing it all. He said "it's getting difficult."

I can't imagine the teacher's putting pressure on him to finish the assigned pages. The school is about kids working at their own pace. This might be DS putting pressure on himself. I'll get the student manual and teachers' guide and see what they're doing and how he's coping. I'll bring it up to the teacher if I think DS is being too hard on himself.

larig
11-28-2011, 03:05 AM
I asked a few more questions at bed time and DS tells me that he wants to get the student journal and then as he knows the last page, he wants me to go over the next page BEFORE they do it in class, so when they do it, he'll know how to do it and be able to finish it all. I told him that I might explain it in a different way to his teacher. He then said "can you get the teacher's book as well, so then you teach me the same?" I asked why he's worried about not finishing it all. He said "it's getting difficult."

I can't imagine the teacher's putting pressure on him to finish the assigned pages. The school is about kids working at their own pace. This might be DS putting pressure on himself. I'll get the student manual and teachers' guide and see what they're doing and how he's coping. I'll bring it up to the teacher if I think DS is being too hard on himself.

I personally wouldn't teach ahead--I'd worry about it undermining a classroom teacher. I'd stress to him that his journal is about his learning "in progress." It sounds to me like he is expecting to master this on the first day he learns something. It takes a while for kids to appreciate that mastery comes over time, after engaging the concepts, and the purpose of EM is to help give kids ownership of the material they're learning (through scaffolded discovery).

niccig
11-28-2011, 03:12 AM
I personally wouldn't teach ahead--I'd worry about it undermining a classroom teacher. I'd stress to him that his journal is about his learning "in progress." It sounds to me like he is expecting to master this on the first day he learns something. It takes a while for kits to appreciate that mastery comes over time, after engaging the concepts, and the purpose of EM is to help give kids ownership of the material they're learning (through scaffolded discovery).

I agree. The teacher may leave EM for a section as has a better way to explain a section. I don't mind going over what has already been covered and giving him extra practice. I'll mention to the teacher that he expects to get it the first time, and I'm stressing that he does not. We've already had this conversation about reading and DS expecting to get it easily and getting frustrated when he can't.

maestramommy
11-28-2011, 07:54 AM
I've heard it depends on how it's implemented. I would feel better if our teacher had led the math night session. The other grade 1 teacher spoke about how she fills in gaps with extra drills, and said our teacher is aware of the gaps, but isn't sure how she addresses them.

I was told that DS is doing well in Math, but if he wants to go over some things they did in class for extra practice, I don't mind. I think Math is something that you have to get the basic concepts. Both DH and I were fine in Math, but our siblings struggled, so we want to make sure DS doesn't.

Our school uses EM. Dora's teacher told me they found after a year or so they needed to supplement with math facts and other kinds of drills (which is the way they used to teach math) but otherwise it's fine.