PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for 4-yr old boy with older brother?

wolverine2
11-28-2011, 10:57 AM
DS2 has both birthday and Christmas coming up, and I'm at a loss for what to get him. He says he just wants what DS1 has. But he's easygoing and will probably be happy with anything.

DS1 is into legos- is 4 too young for legos? We have a zillion bricks already, so a special set would probably go over better. Maybe Cars? But he also plays with Duplo, and getting him more Duplo might avoid arguments... but I sense our Duplo days are limited.

He also wants a playmobil castle but that's because DS1 already has one and he wants the exact same one, which I won't do. DS1 doesn't even play with it anymore, but won't let DS2 play with it because "it's mine." I want it to be common property, but it was once a gift to DS1.

He also mentioned a rocket- I looked at the Imaginext but I think the noise might drive me crazy?

ahisma
11-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Here's another rocket: http://www.amazon.com/International-Playthings-G02232-Lift%252dOff-Rocket/dp/B000NNBFRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322536641&sr=8-1

I'd probably grab a Playmobil catalog from a local toystore and leave it on the coffee table to see what grabbed his attention. Or, take him browsing with big brother along.

kristac
11-28-2011, 11:30 PM
How about MegaRigs?

http://www.amazon.com/Matchbox-Mega-Rig-Shark-Adventure/dp/B000OC2W50/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1322537293&sr=1-1

They have a space shuttle as well but it might be hard to find at a decent price. (under $50)

All the sets are compatable. Tuesday morning had last year's Jurrasic Copter.

We have a ton of sets and they get nearly daily play by both my 4 and almost 7 year old.

TamiRuns
11-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Our 4 year old loves duplos and big brother (soon to be 7) now prefers duplos over the Legos! They build with them all the time - every day. I had to buy a bin of duplo bricks so they would stop fighting over them. And I think we still need more. I actually don't see either one growing tired of duplos any time soon. DS 2 wants all the Cars 2 duplos for Christmas. DS1 wants regular legos- but he'll build whatever it is, and leave it to play with duplos, I am sure. So we might add another bin of duplos just to avoid fights.

hillview
11-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Yeah this my problem as well. SIGH. I get DS2 a small lego set (cars or police theme) and he LOVES getting it but doesn't want to do it for more than 3 mins. Imaginex is a good idea. We have the space station and the noise isn't an issue. DS2 LOVES his monster truck from Target. He also loves his Melissa and Doug dress up clothes. I will be stalking this thread.