PDA

View Full Version : (Update #14) Quick! What Leapster for a 5 yr. old?

AnnieW625
11-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Update, post #14

I need to call my Grandma back this morning and give her an idea for DD1 because she is not getting her the American Girl doll (I told DD1 she had to save up for it). So I was thinking about a Leapster, but I have no idea what is good and what is not good and what works for the early elementary set. I would like to keep it at less than $100, $75 would be preferable.

wimama
11-28-2011, 01:11 PM
The Leappad is the hot item this year. But, I think they are hard to come buy. My DS is five and loves his Leapfrog Explorer. The screen is definitely much nicer than the original Leapsters.

WatchingThemGrow
11-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Explorer is great IMO. Pad is probably better, but not available. Maybe B&N has it on cyber monday special??

jerigirl
11-28-2011, 01:23 PM
We have the Explorer for DS1. I haven't seen the Pad so I can't compare but the Explorer is definitely available and in your price range.

scrooks
11-28-2011, 01:26 PM
My 4.5 yo loves her explorer. Its better than the original leapster. My dd will be getting the leap pad this year. I expect she will use both the explorer and the leap pad and soon ds (who is already interested) will also be playing with the explorer.

stillplayswithbarbies
11-28-2011, 01:26 PM
at age 5 you are about to move out of the Leapster years. I would get a Nintendo DS instead.

the differences between the Leap Pad and Explorer:
Leap Pad:
bigger screen
tilt sensor
camera and video camera are built in

Explorer:
cheaper
can buy the camera separately later

The Leap Pad is impossible to find so if you go with a Leapster you will be getting an Explorer.

AnnieW625
11-28-2011, 01:40 PM
thanks! The pad is not available on BN, and the bundle is OOS at Leapfrog.com. I think I will just look at the Explorer then. What are some good games?

jerigirl
11-28-2011, 01:52 PM
thanks! The pad is not available on BN, and the bundle is OOS at Leapfrog.com. I think I will just look at the Explorer then. What are some good games?

DS really likes Mr. Pencil. He also has the Peguins of Madagascar, Cars2 , Toy Story 3, Ni Hao, and Pet pals. I just ordered the Get Puzzled and Let's Read (?) from the TRU BOGO deal last week. He says his favorites are Mr. Pencil and Cars2. He goes thru spells where he will play one game for a few days and that is his favorite and then he plays another for a few and that is his favorite. :) You might also consider a case and some headphones (http://shop.leapfrog.com/leapfrog/jump/Headphones/productDetail/Leapster-Accessories/lfprod690-11062/cat90012?selectedColor=&selectedSize=&navAction=jump&navCount=0&categoryNav=false) as accessories. Last year for xmas we got DS the explorer and SIL got him a game and a case and headphones from a Leapfrog sale close to xmas.

The leapfrog site is doing 15% off already reduced bundles and free shipping over $60 today LFCYBERDEAL.

Mommy2Two
11-28-2011, 02:16 PM
I just ordered a LeapPad tablet from BN.com go check it out. Just got a confirmation a second ago.

AnnieW625
11-28-2011, 02:17 PM
I thought about the Nintendo DS too, but really I think she'd enjoy the Leapster Leap Pad more, it's just her level, it's bright, and it's colorful too. There are some in stock at my local Targets so I am going to check and see if they are in stock on my lunch hour today. If I can't get the Leap Pad I'll just go with the Explorer. DD1 hasn't mentioned wanting a DS (even though she has played with my brother's, but she only sees him 2 to 3x a year) so I think taking the baby steps and getting her a Leapster will be fine.
I left my Grandma a message and let her know that I'd thought of an idea and I'd go ahead an order the unit. WCS she doesn't agree then I'll keep it for DD1's birthday in April (if I am able to pick one up). Good idea about the headphones (DD2 destroyed her other ones) and thanks for the game ideas.

Keep those game ideas coming too:) DH and I will get her a few to go with the gift.

Has anyone seen a Costco bundle? I know they had one a year or two ago during the holidays.

AnnieW625
11-28-2011, 02:19 PM
I just ordered a LeapPad tablet from BN.com go check it out. Just got a confirmation a second ago.

Can you give me a URL? I am typing in Leapfrog Leap Pad and coming up with nothing. I was doing it on my phone so I thought maybe I was messing up or something.

Any BN coupons?!:)

Mommy2Two
11-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Here is the link:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/toys-games-leapfrog-leappad-explorer-learning-tablet-green/22637304?ean=708431322004&itm=1&usri=leap+pad+explorer+learning+tablet

Mommy2Two
11-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Maybe OOS already- they go so quickly.

AnnieW625
11-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Well just went to two Targets and they were both OOS of the Leap Pad; had lots of Explorers. Then I started thinking since the Leap Pad is $99 and the doll is $100 really what is the difference? I would want her to take care of both items. I also called DH and he said well at $99 why not just get her a first gen. IPad? I said no to that. A DS Lite is also $99, but StillPlaysWithBarbies is right she'd probably get more use out of it in the long run, but again IMHO that is a bit much; my Grandma shouldn't feel like she has to spend that much money.

Still waiting to hear back from my Grandma.

stillplayswithbarbies
11-28-2011, 05:13 PM
the original Leapster (not Explorer) is much cheaper. It has been down to $24.99 on Amazon. So if you want an educational gaming system but want it cheap, you could go that way.

But also . . . the Nintendo DSi Lite is discontinued and has been very cheap too.

the Leapster Explorer should be about $65 and you can find deals to get it cheaper.

Either way, doll or electronic game system, the original price is just the beginning. For a doll you need accessories and for a system you need games. Maybe you get her the main thing and have grandma get her the accessories/games for however much she wants to spend?

Or, if the idea is for DD to save up for something, have Grandma give her a $50 gift certificate to American Girl and then she saves up the other half?