PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need toddler boys size 8 WIDE shoes for giving tree!

TwinFoxes
11-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Please help. I know nothing about boys shoes, and nothing about wide shoes. Any suggestions on where to buy them for a good price? I'd like something sturdy that could survive a slushy DC winter. I've checked LE, and came up empty.

TIA boy moms!

Kindra178
11-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Not a ton of options, especially good priced ones. Stride Rite makes wides:

http://www.striderite.com/store/SiteController/striderite/subcategory?trail=1002%3Acat1530715SR%3A25012%3A20 0004DM%3A1008%3AW&sort=&subCatId=cat1530715SR&catId=cat1530402SR&changedFacetValue=&addFacet=26010%3A100015

Tsukihoshi runs really wide, even though the shoes aren't labelled as such. LE will not work for any of my boys. My twins wear these:

http://www.zappos.com/new-balance-kids-993-infant-toddler-navy

Here is all of Zappos in 8w -

http://www.zappos.com/boys-shoes~8G#!/boys-shoes/CK_XAXoE2wTaBIIBBJMYshaQAQLAAQTiAgUBGBIPDw.zso?s=g oliveRecentSalesStyle/desc/

KpbS
11-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Not sure exactly what style of shoe (athletic?) you are looking for but Payless also carries wide shoes and I think some of their lines are manufactured by Stride Rite. I recently bought some Jumping Beans (Kohl's brand) sneakers for my DS2 in a 9 that weren't labeled as wide but were wide enough for his wide feet.

hth

TwinFoxes
11-28-2011, 04:39 PM
A little more help please...if I get velcro strap medium width shoes, will those work for a wide foot? Or is that just ridiculous?

I appreciate the links, but wow, those will take up almost the entire budget I allotted for him. I have more than one giving tree kid, so I'm trying to budget. I thought Payless would be a winner, but online they only have dress shoes, same for Kohls, and I struck out with Penneys. Zappos seems to be the best shot.

Kindra178
11-28-2011, 05:00 PM
A little more help please...if I get velcro strap medium width shoes, will those work for a wide foot? Or is that just ridiculous?

I appreciate the links, but wow, those will take up almost the entire budget I allotted for him. I have more than one giving tree kid, so I'm trying to budget. I thought Payless would be a winner, but online they only have dress shoes, same for Kohls, and I struck out with Penneys. Zappos seems to be the best shot.

Velcro strap medium width shoes will not work, especially if he has a high instep. Basically, the sole of the shoes will be too narrow for him. Are you trying to do a sneaker or combined dressier/sneaker type shoe?

Edited to add:

Keen shoes run really wide too.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/keen-targhee-shoes-for-kids-and-youth~p~1158d/?filterString=Keen~b~10054%2Fshoes~d~4%2Fkids-footwear~d~17%2F&colorFamily=03

lizzywednesday
11-28-2011, 05:01 PM

Not really.

Width can be anywhere in the foot, but, having a wide foot myself (and a DD who wears a wide shoe) you typically want the extra width in the toebox, not just across the instep, which is where the Velcro would help.

Also, some brands' "M" width runs narrow IME, especially if manufactured in China, Vietnam or Brazil.

KpbS
11-28-2011, 05:07 PM
I bet you will have good luck if you can make a run to a store vs. online--I think it is odd they don't have their full lines available online. :shrug: Check out payless if you have one nearby.

TwinFoxes
11-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Are you trying to do a sneaker or combined dressier/sneaker type shoe?

When I picked him, I had LE all-weather mocs in mind. So not sneakers, but something he could play in, especially through the winter months. I'll check out the Keens. And like PP said, I'll probably have to venture out to the stores. Eh, I was planning to hit the outlet mall at some point. There's a Nordstrom's Rack i can also hit, they have kids' shoes too.

Thanks for your help, other suggestions are still welcome.

ett
11-28-2011, 05:33 PM
New Balance has wide, but they're also sneakers. DS1 wears wide in sneakers but can wear the LE and Merrell mocs fine.

My only other suggestion if you don't find anything at payless is to size up with the shoes.

Good luck. It's hard finding a good deal on wide shoes.

Tondi G
11-28-2011, 06:19 PM
would these work?

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/detail.asp?style=KV516BBI&size=8&width=W&category=infant&selection=kshoes&sort=POP&shoeLast=&price=ALL

edited to add that I often see wide sneakers at Marshalls (new balance and others) ... might be worth stopping into a store if you have them nearby!

lizzywednesday
11-29-2011, 09:29 AM
New Balance has wide, but they're also sneakers. DS1 wears wide in sneakers but can wear the LE and Merrell mocs fine.

My only other suggestion if you don't find anything at payless is to size up with the shoes.

Good luck. It's hard finding a good deal on wide shoes.

I would modify that to say size up with caution, as it doesn't always work.

I've worn a wide shoe my entire life and if my size was only offered in a "M", the store associates would inevitably bring out the next half size up ... and typically it would make me trip over my feet.

So, from those experiences, I wouldn't size up.

mousemom
11-29-2011, 04:30 PM

Sorry, but no, a velcro strap in a medium width shoe will most likely not work. DS wears a wide in Stride Rite and an Extra Wide in New Balance and regular shoes with velcro straps do not work b/c the velcro just doesn't extend far enough to close properly. I just had to get DS new shoes in a toddler 8W because he outgrew his old shoes and I could not find them anywhere for less than $32 per pair. I was able to get him a pair of regular boots for this winter at Target that fit his wide foot, so that might be an option if a boot will work (http://www.target.com/p/Toddler-Boys-Circo-Nectar-Boots-Navy/-/A-10838654). Good luck - these wide toddler shoes are ridiculously expensive and hard to find.