PDA

View Full Version : Brussel Sprout Society Members: I bought frozen ones, now what

Kindra178
11-28-2011, 04:57 PM
All right ladies. I want to try brussel sprouts. What do I do with a bag of frozen ones?

boolady
11-28-2011, 04:58 PM
I don't know. I'm not an official BSS member, but I love fresh brussel sprouts. Frozen, not so much. I've never had frozen ones that kept the right texture-- they've always been too mushy. Hopefully someone else can help.

kijip
11-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Leave them in the freezer. Get some fresh ones and roast those first. If frozen are your first experience, you may never try them again.

FTR, I adore brussels sprouts. Easily in my top three or four veggies: broccoli, collards, asparagus and brussels sprouts.

ellies mom
11-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Leave them in the freezer. Get some fresh ones and roast those first. If frozen are your first experience, you may never try them again.

:yeahthat:

We love brussels sprouts here too. In fact, we are having them for dinner tonight. Yummy!

I usually cook them like this drizzled with balsamic vinegar (http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/goldencrusted-brussels-sprouts-recipe.html).

twowhat?
11-28-2011, 05:57 PM

Another :yeahthat:

Momit
11-28-2011, 06:00 PM
FTR, I adore brussels sprouts. Easily in my top three or four veggies: broccoli, collards, asparagus and brussels sprouts.

How do you cook the collards? We got them from our CSA a few weeks ago and I didn't know what to do with them. They took up so much room in the fridge that I threw them out. :bag

pastrygirl
11-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Yeah, use them as an ice pack. ;)

MelissaTC
11-28-2011, 06:21 PM
:yeahthat:

We love brussels sprouts here too. In fact, we are having them for dinner tonight. Yummy!

I usually cook them like this drizzled with balsamic vinegar (http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/goldencrusted-brussels-sprouts-recipe.html).

I make a similar recipe except I add in some diced pancetta (or bacon) and onion. YUM!!!

kijip
11-28-2011, 06:35 PM
How do you cook the collards? We got them from our CSA a few weeks ago and I didn't know what to do with them. They took up so much room in the fridge that I threw them out. :bag

Oh there are so many ways. So many yummy ways. The basics of good collards are to roll them up and chop ("chiffonade"), then boil lightly. Then run COLD water over them and they are ready for any sort of pan recipe you want, sweet or savory. Here is a great recipe that has step by step instructions for proper cutting:

http://www.culinate.com/books/collections/all_books/Grub/Citrus+Collards+with+Raisins

ellies mom
11-29-2011, 12:53 AM
Because I can never just let a healthy food be, I tossed a bit of maple syrup (1 tablespoon, maybe a dash more) in with the olive oil while I was heating up the pan. It was pretty subtle but yummy.

squimp
11-29-2011, 01:06 AM
DH and I liked this recipe a lot - we had it this weekend - and we are not members of the BSS. I would use fresh ones though, they should be available this time of year.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/sauteed-brussels-sprouts-00100000068278/index.html

s7714
11-29-2011, 01:51 AM

:yeahthat: Frozen ones can not hold a candle to fresh in the slightest. The only way I'll eat frozen ones is if they're steamed and practically swimming in butter and even then they're not worth recommending. Seriously, try the fresh ones first!

wellyes
11-29-2011, 02:09 AM
I have had not great experiences with frozen EXCEPT the whole foods petite ones. Those tossed in oil, salt and pepper and roasted for 45 min are completely addictive.

Kindra178
11-29-2011, 06:10 AM
I have had not great experiences with frozen EXCEPT the whole foods petite ones. Those tossed in oil, salt and pepper and roasted for 45 min are completely addictive.

That's what I got! Defrost first or no?