PDA

View Full Version : Business Casual, help

kbud
11-28-2011, 10:47 PM
I am going to a dinner Friday evening with my DH for his department. The dress is business casual. So what exactly does this mean for women? I don't work outside of the house and my wardrobe is rather limited. I was originally planning on wearing a black cocktail dress that I've worn for other dinners with his company but they've not been business casual but "dress to impress". I'm now afraid I will be over dressed. Help!!!! Thanks.

JBaxter
11-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Simple black( or color) dress, slacks and a pretty sweater or blouse, skirt/ sweater combo. Nothing to sparkly or daring.

SnuggleBuggles
11-28-2011, 10:54 PM
I agree with Jeana about the slacks but I would be ok with something satiny or sparkly on top.

Beth

DrSally
11-28-2011, 11:02 PM
I agree, simple dress, think more ponte knit or dress pants/skirt and nice sweater/blouse.

I've been eyeing this. It gets good reviews: http://www.target.com/p/Merona-Women-s-Tab-Waist-Ponte-Dress-Assorted-Colors/-/A-13656422

or this
http://www.target.com/p/Merona-Women-s-Tab-Waist-Ponte-Dress-Assorted-Colors/-/A-13656422

My guess is that people will be coming in what they wore to work. Maybe ask DH what the women in his office wear?

crl
11-28-2011, 11:03 PM
When dh's office party was business casual I wore a black pin striped skirt, a nice black knit shirt from Talbots, black tights, black heels and a red ruffled wool sweater coat from Anthropologie. I was dressed much like the other women present.

Catherine

JBaxter
11-28-2011, 11:09 PM
hit Ross! I got a really cute cowl neck sweater dress I wore with black tights and boots. Beth your right its the holidays. Slacks and a blingy top would work.

Wear something you would wear for a nice dinner. Ya know some place with real table cloths and a flame on the table and a wine list!

sweetsue98
11-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Business casual is anything without a suit jacket in my experience. I wear a suit everyday and if I lose the suit jacket its business casual.

kbud
11-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Thanks sooo much for the ideas. I feel so out of touch now since not working outside of the house for 8 years!!!! I can do fancy but the business casual was throwing me off. I think I'll need to go shopping! I live in FL, so not too many sweaters but I'm sure a basic dress or slacks/blouse will work. I'll check my closet but I'm guessing everything there is out of style or too small;) I live in shorts/capris and short sleeve t shirts right now!!!

JBaxter
11-28-2011, 11:33 PM
see when DH tells me something like that it is my Q to go shopping for something nice. Well NIce for me anyway ( SAHM of 4 boys) I live in jeans and sweat shirts right now.

DrSally
11-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Let us know what you're thinking about. I saw a Talbots outlet in Orlando. Also, the AT/ATL sale is going on now, but the site was down last time I checked.

kbud
11-28-2011, 11:44 PM
see when DH tells me something like that it is my Q to go shopping for something nice. Well NIce for me anyway ( SAHM of 4 boys) I live in jeans and sweat shirts right now.

Yes, I hear you....I could use a new business casual outfit anyhow. Whenever I need to look nicer I feel I wear the same thing over and over again!!!

JBaxter
11-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Yes, I hear you....I could use a new business casual outfit anyhow. Whenever I need to look nicer I feel I wear the same thing over and over again!!!

stick your cyber arm out and I will twist it. Buy your self a new holiday outfit! ( panties and all ;) )

kbud
11-29-2011, 12:42 AM
stick your cyber arm out and I will twist it. Buy your self a new holiday outfit! ( panties and all ;) )

OK, it's twisted....I like the new panties idea. I know DH will too;) I even have a free pantie coupon from VS that is good on 11/30 only.