PDA

View Full Version : Melissa & Doug Trunki Questions

dukie41181
11-29-2011, 01:20 AM
I want to get one for each of my girls but the mixed reviews are really holding me back! I don't really want to deal with wheels popping off and latches breaking. I found the original company that made them in the UK and the reviews they get seem all positive (4.5-5 stars vs. the 3.5 stars for the Melissa & Doug version). I have decided I'll pay more and get the ones that will make it through travel better but I don't know how to order them from the UK for delivery in the US. Has anyone ever done this before? The only place I have found that will ship them to the US is Harrods and they only have 1 (the buffalo) and I don't prefer that one for my little girls. I've tried the UK Amazon and they don't ship baby products to the states and I also tried Mothercare in the UK and neither do they. Any ideas or anyone have success before?

Thanks!

wifecat
11-29-2011, 01:25 AM
I went through this same thing and ended up deciding I'd need to order it from amazon.uk, have it shipped to a friend in England, then have her ship it to me. Oy. I decided just to get the M&D one and dd loves it around the house, but we haven't tried it at the airport. Pulling her around the house or having her scoot herself, she hasn't lost any wheels or anything. Good luck!

dcmom2b3
11-29-2011, 02:45 AM
We have an M&D trunkie, and haven't lost any wheels; have only used it on car trips, though, so it hasn't been airport-tested. The latches are a bit wonky, but haven't broken.

The only thing that I've lost is the ability to pack DDs stuff in my bag and call it a day. Now we must. use. Trunki. when we travel, and I'm over it, frankly. But that's just me being grumpy mom.

cntrymoon2
11-29-2011, 02:54 AM
I called Melissa and Doug earlier today before I was willing to pull the trigger. The rep I spoke with said they will stand behind all their products with a lifetime warranty and if there are any issues, they will send a replacement Trunki out.
I hope that's the case, because the orange one is on its way to our house!

BayGirl2
11-29-2011, 03:44 AM
We haven't had wheel issues either. The latches come off, but M&D doesn't seem to consider that breaking, and it's easy to fix.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!

Neatfreak
11-29-2011, 05:24 AM
Is the M&D version really made differently than the original ones? I'd thought that M&D was just the American distributor for them!

GvilleGirl
11-29-2011, 09:15 AM
I have no experience with the trunki, but M&D's CS was excellent when I had an issue with one of my toys.

dukie41181
11-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Is the M&D version really made differently than the original ones? I'd thought that M&D was just the American distributor for them!

I read the reviews on the UK Amazon and the reviews seem to be much better. The UK company also had many more design options which is fun! :)

Reina
11-29-2011, 09:35 AM
M&D is the US distributor but they must have a contract to get it manufactured cheaper.

First I bought the M&D version, then the UK version:
Everything from the plastic type and quality to the wheel type, down to the latch attachments... All different between the M&D Trunki and the Original UK Trunki. They are both made in China, they both have the same manufacturer name. However, they must be produced in different factories using different materials. They are COMPLETELY different.

The M&D version arrived on a monday, died before the weekend. e.g. latches broke, wheels fell off while my son was riding it. (He weighs 24 lbs) We called M&D, they took no responsibility claiming the latch and wheel issues are part of normal wear and tear. I knew I wasn't getting anywhere with M&D customer service, so I got the UK version through a very convoluted way. (bought it on amazon uk, sent it to my mom in europe and she brought it with when she was coming to new york.)

Multimama
11-29-2011, 09:59 AM
I love the idea of the Trunki, but I have looked at them in the store and just think they are too cheap to use as luggage. Plus there is really not that much space inside and today when you really have to maximize luggage capacity or pay high excess baggage fees I'd rather just use regular roll ons. My son likes pulling ours around the airport. :)