PDA

View Full Version : What to pay the mother's helper

Fairy
11-29-2011, 11:16 AM
I've got the neighbor girl coming just one day a week from 3:30 - 5pm. I pay a new young sitter $6/hour if she's a Freshman or younger unless they specify what their rate is, then when they get to Sophomore I pay them $7, and for Seniors or some Juniors, I give them $8, and that's my limit. But that's for when I'm gone from the house. This girl is 13, 8th grade, she does sit for other kids here and there (just started), and I"m home, and it's 90 minutes. I settled on $5 for her each visit, but it seems cheap to me. Five bucks? I'm having a hard time with it. $6 seems more reasonable, but it's only a buck more, hardly seems worth it. But upping it to $7 WHEN I'M HOME for 90 minutes seems too much. She's playing with DS, that's it. Maybe a little homework (that'll be all of 10 minutes). No meals, no cleaning, simply occupying DS's time not in front of a TV or computer.

What should I pay her?

kijip
11-29-2011, 11:18 AM
We paid our young teenaged boy mother's helper $5 an hour and he was thrilled. Now he is older and an actual babysitter and we pay more like $7-8 but round up on the hours. He was 12 or 13 when he started with us.

SnuggleBuggles
11-29-2011, 11:18 AM
We had a m.h. and her mom and I worked on a price together. The mom requested $2/ hour. I was going to pay more! Mom said that dd was just gaining experience and money wasn't necessary...her dd should treat it as an internship. :) But, I paid $3/ hour in the end. She was 12-13yo.

Beth

twindad
11-29-2011, 11:31 AM
We had a m.h. and her mom and I worked on a price together. The mom requested $2/ hour. I was going to pay more! Mom said that dd was just gaining experience and money wasn't necessary...her dd should treat it as an internship. :) But, I paid $3/ hour in the end. She was 12-13yo.

Beth

We had a similar situation. The mother's helper's mom did not want us to pay her more than $4/hr. She was 10 y.o.

pastrygirl
11-29-2011, 12:29 PM
I've had one parent request $5 for 2 hours for their child to help me out, and another $5/hr. I usually ask the parent.