PDA

View Full Version : do you have separate hair brushes for your kids?

AnnieW625
11-29-2011, 12:52 PM
I won't be surprised of this is a complete no brainier here and there isn't a :bag big enough to cover my head, but I have been using DD1's hair brush on DD2's hair since she has had enough hair to brush. I just ordered her her own Mason Pearson pocket brush because of all of this lice talk. Both girls as well as myself and DH have never had lice.

ETA: live is suppose to be lice (darn auto correct!)

wellyes
11-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Gosh will you be my mommy? I'd love a Mason Pearson!:ROTFLMAO:
We do not.

AnnieW625
11-29-2011, 12:57 PM
We do not.

I seriously had a heart attack when I bought DD1 hers 2 yrs. ago but it has saved us. I figured I spend about $70 on a hair dryer every 5 or 6 for myself so the most I could do for her knot prone fine hair is to get her a quality hairbrush and it has made a world of difference.

DH and I use $5 Cricket brushes from Sally's and we often use each others without even thinking about it. I tried the MP for myself, but I don't care for it for my really thick hair, but it is seriously magic for fine unruly hair. I had no idea about the other cheaper Tangle Teaser brush until a couple of months ago. I might have tried that one first but had already had no luck with the $15 MP knockoff from Sally's.

Jo..
11-29-2011, 12:58 PM

This. The whole family uses the same brush (Tangle teaser/wet brush type).

DS's hair is too short to brush. I get him clipped with #4s. DH and I constantly "borrow" DD's brush.

BabyMine
11-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Both boys use 1 hairbrush or they steal mine.

What is so special about the Mason Pearson brushes? They look like any regular hairbrush.

brittone2
11-29-2011, 01:02 PM
I voted other. I rarely use a brush because I have a pixie. I do sometimes use a brush when blowdrying but most times I don't have to. DS1 and DS2 use combs. DH has short hair.

If we needed to share it wouldn't bother me.

maiaann
11-29-2011, 01:09 PM
We have 3-4 hairbrushes in this house that all 4 of us (girls) share. In addition, we have a "kids" brush that is essentially an extra I bought that I never liked. It lives in the living room for nightly hair brushing before bed (the girls have long hair). I do worry about lice, but it hasn't been much of a problem in the schools around here. (Knock on wood!)

maestramommy
11-29-2011, 01:12 PM
My mom gave me a comb she never used, for Dora when she was around 18 months. I still use it on all 3 girls. It's getting a little harder for Dora since her hair is long and getting thick. But it's still the best tool for the job!

PunkyBoo
11-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Punkin has a brush that can deal with his thick, straight hair. We used to use the little baby brush they gave us at the hospital for Boo. But his hair has become quite curly so I don't brush his hair anymore. But he thinks it is quite fun to steal his brother's brush or comb to use in his hair and it makes his hair look AWFUL. I also have curly hair and only comb it with a wide-tooth comb in the shower with conditioner. I haven't owned a hairbrush since I was about 12. None of us have every had lice.

ellies mom
11-29-2011, 01:35 PM
We've got a couple of Tangle Teezers, a detangling comb and a comb for parting in one of the kitchen cabinets and a detangling comb in each shower for the girls. We only recently got a second Tangle Teezer and just this morning I made it clear that I wasn't going to be bothered with using the pink one on DD1 and the purple one on DD2. The one I grab is the one I grab, thank you very much.

With that whole interracial thing going on, most of us have very different hair needs. DH has his own brush, kind of a cross between a bristle brush and a Tangle Teezer. I don't touch it. I have my own brushes too that no one else uses because they don't work for them. I will use the same "parting" combs though.

I'm kind of hoping that the sheer amount of product used on the girl's hair will keep lice at bay.

infomama
11-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Pre lice, no. Since we have gone through lice hell the answer is a resounding YES.

infomama
11-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Never heard of the MP brushes. We all use tangle teasers. May have to look into those for moi (dds love the TT). How to choose one though?

lizzywednesday
11-29-2011, 01:53 PM
I've only got one kid, so I can only speak to what we did as kids ... and we didn't have our own separate hair brushes until I started buying my own.

My sister and I did, however, have our own separate detangling combs.

It has nothing to do with whether or not you've ever had lice and everything to do with whether or not it skeeves you out to use someone else's brush or comb, even a family member's. While I was at college, my sister got lice several times; I would flip out if she so much as breathed on my brush or combs, so she's learned to leave my things alone. And I think that it makes her more comfortable to have her own hair things, too.

Today, it skeeves me out to think my brush or comb would be used by anyone but me, unless I'd cleaned it really well or it was new. (And even then I'd have reservations. It's different at a salon because they're supposed to use Barbicide.)

DD has her own brush and combs; her brush has a name label on it. If we have another DC, they will have their own brush and combs too.

khalloc
11-29-2011, 02:02 PM
No. DD and I use the sames brushes. I never brush DS's hair (should I?). I think its cute when he has bed-head. And DH shaves his head since he is balding.

I couldnt imagine spending more than $15 on a hairbrush. I guess I might if I could try it first and was really impressed with the brush. But I dont think anyplace would let you try a brush and then decide whether or not you should purchase it.

AnnieW625
11-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Never heard of the MP brushes. We all use tangle teasers. May have to look into those for moi (dds love the TT). How to choose one though?

I first heard about Mason Pearson brushes many years ago from a beauty message board I post at. I never ever thought I would spend that kind of money on a brush for myself plus they are boar blend bristle brushes which I had as a kid (Fuller Brush) which I hated for my hair, plus the regular adult size ones see $90+ so I never thought I would get one for myself. If you like a boar bristle brush and it works for your hair then Mason Pesrsons are great. They are still made in England of real boar bristles (and nylon if you get a mixed one) and we've had no loose hairs or nylon strands on ours and it is very made. Yes I wish it was $30, but I swear it has made brushing DD1's hair a dream.

Mason Pearson (http://www.masonpearson.com/). I bought both of the pocket brushes for about $60, one off of EBay from a beauty supply store, and the last one from Amazon. I got the regular pocket size and not the child pocket size. DD1 has had no problem holding it. DD2 even caries it around.

lilycat88
11-29-2011, 02:37 PM
:bag:bag:bag:bag

Ours are intermingled and passed around. In fact, I'm pretty sure DD brushed the cat with one last week. :rotflmao:

nmosur
11-29-2011, 04:17 PM
I am OCD about separate combs/hairbrushes - DH is not which is a cause for a lot of minor squabbles in daily life. I apply same standards as toothbrushes - we don't share those and the same for hairbrushes.

hillview
11-29-2011, 07:32 PM
So well ... the boys have one and it is used almost daily for both of them. DS1 had lice for at least 5 days before I found it (GROSS I get that) and they shared a brush for that time and I used the same brush once during that time. DS2 and I did not get lice. Go figure. I just ran it through the dishwasher per the lice lady suggestion. I am considering ordering a second one but really around here we are lucky to find ONE brush never mind each one using their own. So I expect we will continue our wild dangerous lifestyle!

crayonblue
11-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Pre lice, no. Since we have gone through lice hell the answer is a resounding YES.

Same here.

hillview
11-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Ok I ordered a second brush ... sigh

kerridean
11-29-2011, 08:41 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING?????? After my 30 day battle with lice in the summer of 2010, you'd better believe we separate combs. I would HIGHLY advice that you do as well!!!!!!!!!!

egoldber
11-29-2011, 09:08 PM
After older DD had lice this summer I bought new brushes so they could each have their own. However, I have since slacked off.

And despite them sharing brushes for years, younger DD never got lice. Neither DH nor I had it either and I did occasionally use their brush as well. :o

ETA: And the three of us share hair accessories as well.