PDA

View Full Version : How to decorate for the holidays if we have no power outlets outside?

arivecchi
11-29-2011, 04:07 PM
We moved to a century old house in the city last January. The house does not have any outlets in the front porch or otherwsire accessible from the front lawn. How do I decorate? I've always lived in townhomes or condos without front lawns and am clueless. Thanks!

boolady
11-29-2011, 04:11 PM
At our last place, we had no outside outlets, and rather than do what you can do, which is run an extension cord out of a window or door, we just decorated with fresh pine/laurel/juniper garland around the door (we had a big fanned arch over the door-- very Williamsburgy) and a wreath. We also have a vintage sled we would set out next to it and a holiday flag. We always used decorative window candles with white bulbs in all of the front windows as well, since they're on the inside. I just never wanted to keep a window cracked for the entire time just to put lights outside.

rin
11-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Could you run an extension cord through a covered window and then seal up the gap in the window with tape/weather stripping?

Also, if you care enough, an electrician would probably charge between $50-$100 to install a new outdoor outlet. We just had one put in on our front porch for $50.

TwinFoxes
11-29-2011, 04:12 PM
We did the low tech cord into the basement window. We closed the window before bed time.

niccig
11-29-2011, 05:03 PM
We did the low tech cord into the basement window. We closed the window before bed time.

:yeahthat:
But ours runs from the detached garage.

KrisM
11-29-2011, 05:06 PM
I've always used the porch light for power and instead of a light bulb, I use an outlet adaptor in the socket.

Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-125-2-Pole-2-Wire-Adapter/dp/B001PCVTFC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322600692&sr=8-1

brittone2
11-29-2011, 05:27 PM
At our last place, we had no outside outlets, and rather than do what you can do, which is run an extension cord out of a window or door, we just decorated with fresh pine/laurel/juniper garland around the door (we had a big fanned arch over the door-- very Williamsburgy) and a wreath. We also have a vintage sled we would set out next to it and a holiday flag. We always used decorative window candles with white bulbs in all of the front windows as well, since they're on the inside. I just never wanted to keep a window cracked for the entire time just to put lights outside.
We have outlets outside but I'm not sure if we are going to put up lights this year. It is our first year in this house, but I'll probably use wreaths/bows and we usually do a huge garland of greenery around the front door. I have a vintage sled and skates that will go somewhere. We usually do lights plus something like the above, but this year might just do lights around the front door (kids will likely insist) and wreaths/greenery elsewhere. eta: we also have candles in all of our windows that are hard wired and on a timer. They are up year round.

boolady
11-29-2011, 05:34 PM
We have outlets outside but I'm not sure if we are going to put up lights this year. It is our first year in this house, but I'll probably use wreaths/bows and we usually do a huge garland of greenery around the front door. I have a vintage sled and skates that will go somewhere. We usually do lights plus something like the above, but this year might just do lights around the front door (kids will likely insist) and wreaths/greenery elsewhere.

I neglected to include this in my original post, but even though we have better outside electricity access this year (outlet in a glass-enclosed front porch) I still don't think we're doing true exterior lights. This weekend, we bought 2 potted 4-foot artificial already decorated and lit trees at Home Depot and put them in our glassed in porch on either side of the door and put up our window candles. You can kind of see the white lights from the little trees outside. I think we'll do garland up the porch banisters and a nice matching wreath and call it a day...

JTsMom
11-29-2011, 05:52 PM
You can also find some battery operated things. I've seen wreaths like that, and we have a little fiber optic snowman who runs on AAA's.

MommyAllison
11-29-2011, 06:08 PM
I've always used the porch light for power and instead of a light bulb, I use an outlet adaptor in the socket.

Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-125-2-Pole-2-Wire-Adapter/dp/B001PCVTFC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322600692&sr=8-1

That's what we do, too. We use the back porch light socket so that we can still have a front porch light.

twowhat?
11-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Or you decorate without lights:)
We put lights up too - but we hang them on the window frame INSIDE the house - you see them from outside as if they were outside, but you don't have to climb over bushes to hang them up!

mjs64
11-29-2011, 06:18 PM
There are also solar powered strings of lights, but you might not like those as the light they give off is kind of bluish/dim. But still an option. Loving the nonelectric decor suggestions, personally, especially the above pics.

elbenn
11-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Can you put your Christmas tree in front of a window where you can see it outside as well? Also, a Christmas wreath on the front door looks so festive. LLB has fantastic Christmas wreaths (made from real plants).