PDA

View Full Version : What to read next?

hillview
11-29-2011, 07:38 PM
I just finished the Hunger Games seried in record time. I'd love another easy read. I usually prefer nonfiction but open to any ideas.
TIA
/hillary

theriviera
11-29-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm reading The Invisible Bridge (http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Bridge-Vintage-Contemporaries/dp/140003437X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322611588&sr=8-1) right now and I cannot put it down. It's easy reading because the story is amazing but it's definitely not light.

I loved The Hunger Games too :)

boolady
11-30-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm in the middle of reading In the Garden of Beasts, by Erik Larson, who wrote Devil in the White City. It's about the U.S. ambassador to Berlin and his family in Hitler's first year as chancellor. DH said it was really good, and I'm enjoying it so far.

DH is the bigger non-fiction reader than me, so if you like non-fiction, he just finished and really, really recommends Destiny of the Republic, by Candice Millard, about the assassination (sp?) of Garfield and the political and cultural climate at the time.

overcome
11-30-2011, 11:02 AM
The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
First in a trilogy...I loved the characters. I tore through all three books and they are looooooong.

Kindra178
11-30-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm in the middle of reading In the Garden of Beasts, by Erik Larson, who wrote Devil in the White City. It's about the U.S. ambassador to Berlin and his family in Hitler's first year as chancellor. DH said it was really good, and I'm enjoying it so far.

This. Awesome book. And have your read anything by Jonathan Tropper? Everything is good.

lizzywednesday
11-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the rec, boolady! I've got Devil in the White City on my to-read list anyway, but am going to check out the other one too. They sound like they're along the lines of The Alienist (Caleb Carr) and Fatherland (Robert Harris), both of which I enjoyed.

Anyway, I haven't read Hunger Games, so that doesn't give me much to go on.

Fiction-wise, I'd recommend:

* (Series name) Percy Jackson and the Olympians (first book is The Lightning Thief) by Rick Riordan
* Inkheart (Cornelia Funke; trilogy, other 2 books are Inkspell and Inkdeath)
* The Shadow of the Wind (Carlos Ruiz Zafon)

My most recent nonfiction books have been:

* The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (Rebecca Skloot)
* My Life in France (Julia Child with Alex Prud'homme)
* John Adams (David McCullough)
* Big Man: Real Life and Tall Tales (Clarence Clemmons with Don Reo)

(I've been recommending the Henrietta Lacks book a LOT on this board and several people have echoed this recommendation as well. Well worth the effort, in my opinion.)

boolady
11-30-2011, 11:56 AM
(I've been recommending the Henrietta Lacks book a LOT on this board and several people have echoed this recommendation as well. Well worth the effort, in my opinion.)

I forgot about this one, but it's a great read. Very compelling.

Indianamom2
11-30-2011, 12:05 PM
I usually read fiction, but I occasionally slip a non-fiction book in as well.
I LOVED "Unbroken" by Lauren Hillenbrand (?). It is an absolutely unbelievable true story of a POW shot down by the Japanese. Very interesting and well written.

theriviera
11-30-2011, 04:03 PM
I LOVED "Unbroken" by Lauren Hillenbrand (?). It is an absolutely unbelievable true story of a POW shot down by the Japanese. Very interesting and well written.

:yeahthat:

Also, I forgot about another non-fiction book I read recently: The Good Daughter (http://www.amazon.com/Good-Daughter-Memoir-Mothers-ebook/dp/B0047Y16XK/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2)

I thought it was fascinating.

sste
11-30-2011, 04:18 PM
The best book I have read this fall is A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. It is not light/action/adventure type reading but it is an engaging read, beautifully and thoughtfully written. I highly rec.

erosenst
11-30-2011, 09:26 PM
The Steve Jobs bio was fascinating. Couldn't put it down. Also really liked Henrietta Lacks. Wasn't crazy about Devil in the White City.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

BabyH
11-30-2011, 09:29 PM
10000000% agree about the Henrietta Lacks book. It went above and beyond my expectations for it. Amazing, Fascinating, Phenomenal.

I also always recommend The Art of Racing in the Rain. A few days ago it was $3 or $4 on Amazon for the Kindle. One of my most favorite books.

kboyle
11-30-2011, 09:51 PM
if you want something similar to The Hunger Games i'd suggest YA The Maze Runner trilogy, other YA that i've read, Delirium, Divergent, Uglies series, Matched and newest book Crossed.

i just started the Janet Evanovich numbers series, One for the Money will be coming to theaters in jan with Katherine Heigl playing Stephanie Plum.

DietCokeLover
11-30-2011, 09:59 PM

I just finished this. I am wanting to start a new book, but I feel like I need to "recover" a bit from the emotions I felt while reading this.

twowhat?
12-11-2011, 05:07 PM

I'm 3/4 of the way through this book (stayed up too late last night because I couldn't put it down) and it is GRIPPING. Beautifully written. It is sad, eerie, uplifting all at once. I worked with HeLa cells in grad school (they are a staple) and had no idea they were named after her. My MIL did her graduate work at Hopkins and personally knew some of the people mentioned in the book. I would be reading it right now except that the girls are down for a nap and I don't want to be annoyed when they wake up and I have to put the book down:)