PDA

View Full Version : Which carseat for overseas trip with lots of driving

amom526
11-30-2011, 07:55 AM
We are planning a trip overseas at the end of December. DS will be 11 months then. He is tall-he was 30 inches I think at his 9 month checkup. He ways about 22 pounds. He is still in the snugride 35, and I think has about 2 inches between his head and the top, so we are ok for the moment.

We have purchased a marathon 70 but haven't installed it and he's never ridden in it (planning to do it soon).

Which carseat would you take for a 10+ hour plane trip with a lot of driving at our destination? He has a ticket for the plane. On the trip, we will mostly keep the carseat installed in one car, but may need to move it for a taxi trip or 2.

TIA

hillview
11-30-2011, 09:31 AM
If he will still fit in the snugride do the snugride!!

Neatfreak
11-30-2011, 09:36 AM
I'd vote for one that is easy to install. Do you know if the car you will be driving when you arrive has LATCH and top tether anchors? I'm overseas, and where I am, those are rare features, so I was glad that I was comfortable installing our carseats with the seatbelt and a locking clip!

hillview
11-30-2011, 09:40 AM
I'd vote for one that is easy to install. Do you know if the car you will be driving when you arrive has LATCH and top tether anchors? I'm overseas, and where I am, those are rare features, so I was glad that I was comfortable installing our carseats with the seatbelt and a locking clip!

Yeah this is a really good point.

amom526
11-30-2011, 08:56 PM
I have no clue if the car will have latch installation. I probably should just bring the snugride-this will not allow anyone to bug me about putting in the marathon rear facing, although i guess it doesn't really matter on a plane. The snugride will probably allow him to recline more on the plane anyway. I hope he still fits!

Multimama
11-30-2011, 09:09 PM
I would absolutely take the Snugride. So much easier to get through the airport than the Marathon! But definitely practice a baseless seatbelt install before your trip.

FWIW, on my recent trip to Europe every car I installed in had LATCH (called isofix there) except for one and the one that didn't had locking seatbelts. What a nice surprise!

amldaley
11-30-2011, 10:09 PM
I would think it would also depends on what car you are getting when you arrive. I know that every time we have rented a car in the UK it has been much smaller than what we normally drive. I would opt for a seat that can be accomodated in whatever vehicle you will be in and easy for transport on and off the plane, etc.