PDA

View Full Version : those who share prime, how did you find your "sister?"

wifecat
11-30-2011, 10:56 AM
I don't have a lot of deal-seeking friends that shop amazon (how can you NOT shop amazon???). I'd love to share prime with some others but I'm not sure how to find people that want to share it! How did you find "sisters" to share it with if you are splitting the cost?

babyonway
11-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Would love to hear the responses because I am curious too. Also how does sharing work? do you use the same account (with credit card information, etc)?

How can you not shop Amazon is right :)

katydid1971
11-30-2011, 12:26 PM
I have a couple other questions to add: 1. If you share prime do all the user get access to the free movies? 2. Do you have to have a Kindle to use the Kindle lending library or can you just have a kindle app on an ipad etc/ & can every person on the prime account use the lending library or just the primary one.
Hope I'm not totally hijacking this thread.
Thanks

daniele_ut
11-30-2011, 12:45 PM
I have a couple other questions to add: 1. If you share prime do all the user get access to the free movies? 2. Do you have to have a Kindle to use the Kindle lending library or can you just have a kindle app on an ipad etc/ & can every person on the prime account use the lending library or just the primary one.
Thanks

Only the primary account holder can use the streaming content and the lending library. I'm not sure if you can use the lending library with the kindle app as opposed to an actual Kindle, though.

wifecat
11-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks

I asked about some details on sharing the other day and was told:

Sharing Prime:

We all have separate accounts and addresses
There is the primary person who pays directly to amazon the $79/year
Then she can share her account by adding others = it can be sisterinlaws, brotherinlaws, cousins, friends, etc.

You need their birthday, email and name, and add them. It sends the other an invite, and when they accept, they can share the same paid prime privileges of free shipping. Only the primary person (who pays amazon $79) gets the kindle lending library and streaming priviliges, but all members get free 2 day shipping.

Totally different accounts though - and my friends pay me directly their share. I have no knowledge of their order history, nor they have any knowledge of mine. Credit cards are not shared either.

vonfirmath
11-30-2011, 01:12 PM
My amazon prime sister is my sister. I've known her since I was 21 months old. We grew up in the same house ;)

vonfirmath
11-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks

2) You have to have the Kindle. it does not work on the app.

Pinky
11-30-2011, 01:32 PM
I thought the new Prime "rules" stated it could only be shared with someone in the same household or a coworker? Not sure though.
Edited to add: I mentioned this because I'd like to share an account but hadn't because I didn't think I could... Good to know that it's allowed!

katydid1971
11-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Thanks so much for answering my question. My SIL has said she would put me on her prime acct (my mom acct expires next month). Now I have to decide if the movies are worth the $80 (I don't have a Kindle and won't be getting one anytime soon).

Toba
11-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Both of my sisters and my mom use my Prime account. I just gave them all my login details because I was in a rush and couldn't easily figure out how to do it the correct way. I trust all three of them explicitly with credit card info, so I'm not worried about that.

indigo99
11-30-2011, 04:46 PM
I thought the new Prime "rules" stated it could only be shared with someone in the same household or a coworker? Not sure though.
Edited to add: I mentioned this because I'd like to share an account but hadn't because I didn't think I could... Good to know that it's allowed!

It's not "allowed" but it is possible to do. I wonder if they'll ever crack down on it. If you're sharing and have a low enough investment then maybe you don't care if they eventually cancel the account though.

wendibird22
11-30-2011, 05:15 PM
I looked into sharing with some "sisters" but realized I could sign DH up for Amazon Mom and have him share it with me to extend our prime for now. When his prime runs out I will be willing to join someone's family :)

AJP
11-30-2011, 06:02 PM
I found my sister through a kids brand-specific clothing message board. I don't have access to streaming video. Its been nice not to worry about shipping costs for all these gifts!

dukie41181
11-30-2011, 06:17 PM
I soooooo want my prime back! I'm tired of having to find $25 worth of items for free shipping! I don't care about the streaming or lending library though...just the shipping! Must begin my amazon "sister" search! :D

wendibird22
03-11-2012, 09:03 PM
If anyone is looking for a "sister" or "coworker" PM me. I'm ready to bight the bullet on prime and would be willing to share with anyone looking for the free shipping benefits.

mjmamma
03-11-2012, 09:19 PM

That was the rumor but I just signed up yesterday. It states that I could 'invite' 3 family members in the same household to share my benefits. All I needed was their birthday (MM/DD) and email addresses to invite them. The drop down menu listed family options and I had to pick one (sister, brother, etc). It sent them the invite and that was it...no mention of their 'home'.

DietCokeLover
03-11-2012, 09:29 PM
A sweet mama on here PM'd me one day when my Amazon Mom expired and added me to her account. :bowdown: