PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Fire

ezcc
11-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Do I want one? UPS dropped off an Amazon box that says Kindle Fire on it for DH, I'm guessing it is a Christmas present for me- he has an ipad so I doubt he bought it for himself. I have an older plain kindle and am perfectly happy with it- it's the kind that doesn't need wifi (whispernet?), hardly ever needs to be charged- all I really want to do is read books and even then I tend to use it most on vacation- I still get most of my books at the library. I have an iphone. What would I want the fire for?

KrisM
11-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Browsing the web? Using apps?

Dream
11-30-2011, 12:04 PM
is the kindle lighter than the ipad?

cono0507
11-30-2011, 12:05 PM
We have a fire and I don't use it as a reader. I much prefer to read books on my old kindle. The book print on the original kindle is much easier on the eyes IMO. We use the fire for apps, games, web, watching video (can stream all sorts of free shows and movies with amazon prime). It has a few quirks but overall I'm happy with it.
So fate I've gotten the most out of it to entertain myself/get stuff done while dd has gymnastics 3 hrs a week and I'm sitting at the gym watching!

lhafer
11-30-2011, 01:29 PM
is the kindle lighter than the ipad?

It is MUCH lighter, and smaller in general than an Ipad. I took pictures of mine for comparison...but then deleted them by mistake. I don't have the Fire anymore....but the fire could easily fit in the screen of the Ipad and screen of the Ipad still showing around it.

JBaxter
11-30-2011, 02:09 PM
I like mine ( have the old orginal kindle also) Its iPad light. Perfect for what I use it for. I read at night and will pop over to check facebook or check on ya'll here. Im not much into all the apps ( except pandora).

kboyle
11-30-2011, 08:48 PM
i just got one, but haven't opened the box...i keep thinking about what i'll use it for with an iphone, ipad and a nook eink reader...but alas, i'm a gadget junky and couldn't stop myself from getting it, lol.

TwinFoxes
11-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Not saying you aren't getting one, but I got a box from B&N with "NOOK COLOR" written on it in huge letters, and it was the Elf on the Shelf I was waiting for. Thankfully it never crossed my mind it was actually a Nook Color, so I wasn't bummed. :) Just saying, it might not be a Kindle...or it might be. The surprise factor is still there!

BayGirl2
12-01-2011, 01:54 AM
Anyone tried using the Fire for note taking? What is the typing/touch screen like? I was thinking about getting a Kindle for DH, and he commented that he wants a tablet for note taking. I have an iPad, so I know what the options are with that. I'm wondering how the (soft) keyboard and apps are for the Fire. I have not experience with Android apps.

Ugg, I can't figure out what to get him and I think its going to end up having to be an iPad. Not sure I want to spend that much (...and he'll have a newer version than me).