PDA

View Full Version : How do I find out if a local business is sanitary?

gatorsmom
11-30-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm still getting to know our new town and my birthday is coming up. I'd love a nice mani/pedi but am leery of places that might not be as clean as I'd like. I don't know too many ladies around here that get them. One friend does, but she laughs that the place she goes is probably not what I'd want. She says she goes there because it's the cheapest place in town and she gets her nails done often.

I looked at www.yelp.com (http://www.yelp.com) but there were reviews on there from people in Oregon, New york, Philadelphia? It didn't say these reviewers were going there for a wedding so why are out of state people rating these salons in such a small town? I just don't feel those reviews are trustworthy.

Any other suggestions? TIA

amldaley
11-30-2011, 12:24 PM
1) Call your local Better Business Bureau and see if it has any complaints.

2) Call the city or the county (depending on how your local area does govt buisness) and ask for the Health Department. Tell them you want to find out about a local businesses health inspection or sanitation inspection rating. It's public info.

ETA: In most states, the health rating has to be posted in that type of business as well as in restaurants. You could go in, ask to see a list of prices, etc and look to see if it is posted either in the window or near the register with their business license, etc.