PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Card Grammar Question

lovin2shop
11-30-2011, 03:44 PM
If I'm just putting our last name on the card under the picture on the front, it should just read:

The Smiths

I leave out the apostrophe, correct?

The example card shows it as "The Smith's", but doesn't that show possession? I'm terrible with Grammar!

infocrazy
11-30-2011, 03:46 PM
I often default by putting The Smith Family

boolady
11-30-2011, 03:49 PM
You're correct. No apostrophe.

Momit
11-30-2011, 03:55 PM
You're right. Definitely no apostrophe.

momof2girls
11-30-2011, 04:30 PM
No apostrophe. that denotes ownership

Melaine
11-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Agree with others. You would only use an apostrophe if you were saying "The Smith's Christmas Celebration" or something like that. I do like putting "The Smith Family" just because I like how it looks.

octmom
11-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Agree with others. You would only use an apostrophe if you were saying "The Smith's Christmas Celebration" or something like that. I do like putting "The Smith Family" just because I like how it looks.

Then it would actually be "The Smiths' Christmas Celebration" (plural possessive), unless there is a person named "The." ;)

barkley1
11-30-2011, 06:16 PM
What do you do when the last name ends in S? For example Edwards. Besides say the Edwards family...lol! the Edwardses??

Ceepa
11-30-2011, 06:23 PM
What do you do when the last name ends in S? For example Edwards. Besides say the Edwards family...lol! the Edwardses??

I would use Edwards' but technically Edwards's is also acceptable.

octmom
11-30-2011, 06:38 PM
I would use Edwards' but technically Edwards's is also acceptable.

Yup. Me too.

fivi2
11-30-2011, 06:43 PM
I often default by putting The Smith Family

:yeahthat:

Also, (imo) no matter which you put, Smiths or Smith's, someone you send it to will think you were wrong. Even if you are right.

khm
11-30-2011, 06:51 PM
:yeahthat:

Also, (imo) no matter which you put, Smiths or Smith's, someone you send it to will think you were wrong. Even if you are right.

Yup.

The errant apostrophe makes my head hurt, but many many people do it that way. I think mostly because they think it "looks" better.

My SIL / editor had a (polite) cow when she picked up her (last minute) holiday cards at Walgreens and they oh so helpfully added an apostrophe for her!! The redid them happily, but thought she was nutty for wanting them "wrong".

Cam&Clay
11-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Plural: Smiths
Possessive: John Smith's party, The Smiths' Party

Plural: Edwardses
Possessive: Mike Edwards' party OR Mike Edwards's party
The Edwardses' Party

As someone who used to have a last name that ended in s, I know this stuff even though I fought about it all the time with XMIL. Got rid of that name!