PDA

View Full Version : Facebook phishing

indigo99
11-30-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm usually really good at avoiding suspicious emails with attachments, links, etc, but they're getting sneaky. They're sending emails that look EXACTLY like facebook notifications to approve a friend. When you click on the link to go and approve them, it has a page that looks just like the facebook sign-in page so they get your password and can then try it and your email on various sites. Unfortunately, I have accounts on SO MANY sites now (probably hundreds) that I don't even know which ones have the same passwords. I'm basically screwed.

BabyMine
11-30-2011, 04:05 PM
I usually check out the email properties before clicking. That way it gives the longer version than the one that shows in the inbox. It gets worse during this time of year.

babyonway
11-30-2011, 04:07 PM
I usually check out the email properties before clicking.

How do you do that? What does that mean exactly? (sorry not tech savy AT ALL)

BabyMine
11-30-2011, 04:17 PM
How do you do that? What does that mean exactly? (sorry not tech savy AT ALL)

I use Outlook but you should be able to do this with any email. When the email is highlighted right click on it. Another box will open up. All the way down at the bottom is "Message Options". Click on that. Another box will open. At the bottom is a section titled "Internet Headers" and it will show you the path the email took along with the full email address.

indigo99
11-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Yeah, but when you get emails from facebook all the time, and you get one that doesn't look the least bit suspicious... it looked exactly like what they send out, as did the log-in screen.

SnuggleBuggles
11-30-2011, 05:04 PM
I recommend just not signing up for any FB notifications. Log into FB when you want to see what's going on (friend requests, mentions, comments, events...)...nothing crucial is happening there and they just can flood your inbox if you aren't careful with legitimate stuff. Anyway, that way you can better weed out what is real and what is suspect if you aren't set to get emails from them. Thanks for the heads up though!!!

Beth

indigo99
11-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Agreed. That's a good idea. It seems like FB's recent changes have greatly reduced the number of notifications that are sent anyway. People are always complaining that they don't get notifications now. My friends and family are always complaining that I never go on there as it is though.