PDA

View Full Version : Ethical WWYD - Final update post 34

jren
11-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Say you ordered an iPad2 on Black Friday from Best Buy. Today, you check the front stoop and there are two identical boxes. In each box, there's a brand new iPad2. The shipping slip enclosed is identical for each box, down to the same order number. You were only charged for one iPad, and Best Buy has no record of you being sent the other iPad by mistake.

WWYD?

Updated with more info: Well, as soon as the packages arrived, I called the 800#. I never thought to just keep it. And at that point didn't know that we hadn't been charged for two. Here's what happened when I called:

First, I waited online for more than 20 minutes. When I finally got to a customer service rep, they were no help. They have no record of more than one going out to me. They said, furthermore, it would have been impossible for me to order two that day b/c sales on the BF deal were limited to one per customer. They said a lot of "um"s and finally just told me to go to a store. Not sure what, if anything, they recorded in their system about my call.

infomama
11-30-2011, 09:37 PM
I would take one back and return it to a manager.

crayonblue
11-30-2011, 09:38 PM
We had something similar happen with a camera related item that DH ordered. He called the company and they sent him a prepaid thing and he sent it back. Sometimes companies will just say keep it or sometimes they will ask that you mail it back.

crayonblue
11-30-2011, 09:38 PM
I would take one back and return it to a manager.

That's a good idea! Then you avoid the whole pain of mailing something.

cntrymoon2
11-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Legally, anything shipped to you is yours to keep. Mistake or not. There is a legal loophole (that I'm sure someone here can quote better than me) that says a consumer is entitled to anything addressed to him that shows up on his doorstep.

MamaMolly
11-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Something very similar happened to my FIL, though it was a desktop computer system. And what he did says a lot about him in general.

He called the customer service and started with 'there was a mistake in my shipment.' Then he and the customer service rep got into it about how he had ordered XYZ and received XYZ, so therefore there was no mistake in his shipment.

He never actually mentioned that a second entire computer had arrived, and the rep never asked, so *he* felt it was ok to keep it.

AbbysMom
11-30-2011, 09:45 PM
That happened to me with - believe it or not - a double BJCM. I believe that legally you can keep it. It's yours. I called and they sent me a label to return it. At the time, I got a deal on it from the website I ordered it from and I didn't feel right cashing in on their mistake. But it did hurt to see that free $600 go out the door!

sweetsue98
11-30-2011, 09:48 PM
honestly, I would probably keep it. Wish it would have happened to me....

kristenk
11-30-2011, 09:50 PM
I'd take it back to Best Buy. There's one not too far away so it wouldn't be a hassle for me to return.

I just couldn't keep it. It's not right.

Plus, I'd always wonder if they'd finally figure it out and charge me for the 2nd one!

LMPC
11-30-2011, 09:51 PM
I would totally keep it....fine, call me unethical.

KrisM
11-30-2011, 09:52 PM
If there was a store close by, I'd take it back in person. Otherwise, I'd call and ask what I should do.

SnuggleBuggles
11-30-2011, 09:52 PM
I'd take it back to Best Buy. There's one not too far away so it wouldn't be a hassle for me to return.

I just couldn't keep it. It's not right.

Plus, I'd always wonder if they'd finally figure it out and charge me for the 2nd one!

:yeahthat: me too. It would be so tempting to keep it tough! I won't judge you if do!

Beth

amldaley
11-30-2011, 09:56 PM
I would NOT take it to the store. They will have no way of processing it back in to their system and I guarantee you that it will end up going home with someone.

Call the customer service number, donate it to charity, or thank your lucky stars and keep it.

DietCokeLover
11-30-2011, 09:57 PM
I would call and tell them what happened.

scrooks
11-30-2011, 09:59 PM
I would call and tell them what happened.

:yeahthat:
I would not feel right keeping it.

pinkmomagain
11-30-2011, 10:00 PM
I would NOT take it to the store. They will have no way of processing it back in to their system and I guarantee you that it will end up going home with someone.

Call the customer service number, donate it to charity, or thank your lucky stars and keep it.

I also think if you take it to the store, an employee/manager would pocket it. If it were me, I think I'd donate it to my kids' school or our local children's hospital.

crayonblue
11-30-2011, 10:02 PM
OK, maybe just call and ask. But, at least if you take it back to the manager and he pockets it, he is the one doing something unethical, not you, ha!

crl
11-30-2011, 10:02 PM
I would call and report the mistake. If they were willing to send someone (UPS or Fedex) to come pick it up, I would happily cooperate in handing it back over.

Catherine

khm
11-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Hmmm, I'd be soooooo tempted!

However, if they have duplicate order numbers going out on different UPS tracking numbers I'd think they'd catch the mistake if the dups were sent out in large enough numbers?? I don't know, but I'd worry about that.

I'm not sure what I'd do! Such a tempting mistake.

Minnifer
11-30-2011, 10:08 PM

Call the customer service number, donate it to charity, or thank your lucky stars and keep it.:yeahthat: and I would be *very* tempted to go with the last choice and not sure what I'd do...

Trigglet
11-30-2011, 10:08 PM
I freakin' hate Best Buy (they gypped me out of $700 on one of their stupid 'interest free' arrangements), so I'd feel perfectly happy to keep it. Christmas come early!! :ROTFLMAO:

Raidra
11-30-2011, 10:09 PM
If they're both addressed to you, I'd be tempted to just keep it. I'm sure if you call, they'll ask you to ship it back. Definitely don't bring it into the store, though.

We had a (somewhat) similar mix-up when we got two giant boxes of gourmet chocolate-covered strawberries. We had ordered one, and they both had our name and address. Inside one was a note from my husband (it was for Mother's Day), and inside the other was a note for some random person's birthday. We called the company because I felt bad that someone was missing out on their birthday treat.. they told us to enjoy the extra box, and they would send a replacement box to the other person.. it was the company's mix-up, after all.

MomToOne
11-30-2011, 10:11 PM
I would keep it and not think twice about it.

niccig
11-30-2011, 10:12 PM
I would call. I would worry they'll come after it when realise mistake.

Something similar happened to my sisters and I with our tax returns. We got a college govt. scholarship as my father was in Australian military in Vietnam War and on a disabled veterans pension. The tax form was printed on Dept. of Veterans Affairs letter head. One year we got more money back from our tax return because of our veteran pensions. It was several hundred dollars. We called and had to argue with the customer service rep. that we were not entitled to this tax break because we were not veterans. He kept insisting I was entitled to the money because of my service in Vietnam. He finally believed me when I told him to check my birthdate. I was 20 years old and not alive during Vietnam War. Some bonehead in tax. department saw the Veteran's Affairs letter head and processed the scholarships as pensions.

We reported it as worried they would realise the mistake and we didn't want to spend the money and then have to pay them back.

jren
11-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Hmmm, I'd be soooooo tempted!

However, if they have duplicate order numbers going out on different UPS tracking numbers I'd think they'd catch the mistake if the dups were sent out in large enough numbers?? I don't know, but I'd worry about that.

I'm not sure what I'd do! Such a tempting mistake.

The tracking numbers are identical. Two separate boxes. Both identical in every way. Both say "box 1 of 1", but UPS tracking # is the same on both. Weird!

hillview
I would call and report the mistake. If they were willing to send someone (UPS or Fedex) to come pick it up, I would happily cooperate in handing it back over.

Catherine

On a side note when my Kindle Fire arrived my cover did not arrive (although Amazon said it had arrived). I went to amazon indicating it never arrived. Amazon said it had been lost in shipping and sent me a new one. When I looked up that shipment I saw they were sending me a new FIRE not new cover. I emailed them and they were able to intercept the package before it arrived. I thought about just keeping the new fire for a few seconds but wouldn't feel right about that.
/hillary

Mamma2004
I would call to report the error. Karma aside, they could eventually discover the duplicate shipment. Moreover, I would not want to purchase a second "data plan" for the other iPad.
Kudos to you for wondering what to do with this surprise on your doorstep!

BabyMine
11-30-2011, 10:20 PM
I would donate it to a charity.

SkyrMommy
11-30-2011, 10:25 PM
I would call customer service or bring it to the store with my order information and ask them what they would like me to do. If they say keep it, whooohooo. But otherwise I'd feel guilty keeping something that wasn't mine to begin with.

If they say keep it and you don't need it, I like PP's suggestion to donate it to charity. How awesome would that be for a charity to be able to raffle off a new iPad2 to raise some very much needed money.

crl
11-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Read your update. I would not go to a store. Not my mistake, not my problem. No way would I go to that trouble. I would have told them that on the phone. At this point I guess I'd call back and say, "you want you come get it. If you don't do that in the next week, I'm giving it away."

Catherine

mom2binsd
11-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Like others have said, if it goes back to the store I'm not convinced an employee won't end up with it....

If you don't want to keep it, I really think it's not a bad thing to do, it's not like you're stealing from a mom and pop store and Best Buy has surely screwed so many folks...

Or if your child goes to school, do they do a fundraiser/carnival, ours does and is always looking for items to auction.

Simon
11-30-2011, 10:30 PM
I would do as you did, call and ask, but I would not go out of my way to return it to a store. First, because I never, ever go to BB and second, because I agree that most likely someone there would just be taking it home.

I'd keep or donate depending on my family's needs.

amldaley
11-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Just read your update.

Now that IS a dilemma, isn't it?

I still would not go to a store. If they have no record of a second one, I doubt they recorded anything in their system about it.

You made a concerted effort. You could try again and see if you get someone more useful. If you still don't get anywhere, sit on it for 30 days and see what happens.

Without proof of a second order, they can't charge you card for it or if they do, you can then call and arrange a return. Or you could refuse the charge and do a charge back through your credit card.

jren
11-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Well, I guess it's ours!!! Just called our local store and spoke to a manager. If I returned it, they wouldn't log anything into my account showing I returned it. It would just be entered into their inventory. They said it's mine to do what I want. Nothing shows up on my order in their system that I have more than one. They said I could bring it in and trade it for an iphone and I don't need a receipt for that.

Giantbear
11-30-2011, 10:45 PM
doesnt surprise me. Many times i have been shipped extra product or, when missing a small piece on a large item, shipped a new item and in all cases, i am always told to keep the extra one. Apparently it is easier and cheaper for the stores to lose the product than to pay for the shipping and restocking.

khm
11-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Well, I guess it's ours!!! Just called our local store and spoke to a manager. If I returned it, they wouldn't log anything into my account showing I returned it. It would just be entered into their inventory. They said it's mine to do what I want. Nothing shows up on my order in their system that I have more than one. They said I could bring it in and trade it for an iphone and I don't need a receipt for that.

Cool! I'd go buy a lottery ticket, your luck is HOT!

infomama
11-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Coool beans! Enjoy!

KrisM
11-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Very cool!

The best thing is that you can keep it and never feel guilty about it.

michlyn
11-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Awesome!

cntrymoon2
11-30-2011, 10:55 PM
That is awesome! I guess you need to post this is the "Best deal of the holiday season" thread :) You and the poster who won that shopping spree are definitely reaping some good karma from something!

sweetsue98
11-30-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm so jealous :-)

crl
12-01-2011, 12:13 AM

Total score! And a clean conscience too! Happy Holidays!!!

Catherine

♥ms.pacman♥
12-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Very cool!

The best thing is that you can keep it and never feel guilty about it.

wow, glad they let u keep it.. that's awesome!!!

Tondi G
12-01-2011, 02:11 AM
Wow! It's your Lucky Day! Enjoy having a duplicate! Oh my boys would be so thrilled if we bought one and ended up getting two! SCORE! Merry Christmas!

kaitlyns.mom
12-01-2011, 02:34 AM

Catherine

This happened to me recently with Drugstore.com. They shipped two mascaras with my order - $24 each - and I never even ordered one of them. I sent them an e-mail and they wrote back and said to keep them both. I felt good that I was given permission. :D Although the mascara is nothing to write home about. :rotflmao:

roseyloxs
12-01-2011, 08:28 AM
2 for 1 iPad deal=Awesome! We recently received two handmade cuckoo clocks in the mail when we only ordered one. We contacted the owner and he gave us a discount on the second one and a thanks for being honest note. Would have been nice if it were free but at least we didn't have to feel guilty about keeping it. Worked out for us anyway because we needed a wedding gift and were at a bit of a loss about what to send.

MamaMolly
12-01-2011, 09:03 AM

Catherine

Happy update!! Enjoy!!

Melaine
12-01-2011, 09:06 AM

SWEET! I'm glad you called about it, now you can REALLY enjoy it like a bonus without a twinge of guilt. Even if they had returned it, you absolutely did the right thing!

crayonblue
12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
SWEET! I'm glad you called about it, now you can REALLY enjoy it like a bonus without a twinge of guilt. Even if they had returned it, you absolutely did the right thing!

Agreed and that is just totally awesome!!!!!

P.S. These types of threads come up ever so often and it always surprises me that not everyone would call and try to make it right. I've said this before and will say it again that most of us can avoid the big bad behaviors like murdering but I think it says a lot about a person in how they handle the small things.

SkyrMommy
12-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Graet update!!! Enjoy :cheerleader1:

overcome
12-01-2011, 01:39 PM
That is awesome! You did the right thing and you were rewarded for it!!

Enjoy it!!!

Mommy_Again
12-01-2011, 02:17 PM
good for you! I would not have been able to NOT try to make it right, but your conscience should be totally clear now.

If you are interested in donating it (which I don't think you are under ANY obligation to do!), there is a charity called iPads for Soldiers that raises money to send iPads to those serving in Afganistan. It's the #1 thing people in the armed forces ask for - can replace computer, phone, gaming system, books, etc.

jren
12-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Agreed and that is just totally awesome!!!!!

P.S. These types of threads come up ever so often and it always surprises me that not everyone would call and try to make it right. I've said this before and will say it again that most of us can avoid the big bad behaviors like murdering but I think it says a lot about a person in how they handle the small things.

I was actually surprised with how many people here said they'd call and report the error. No one IRL agreed with me, and I had started to feel like a big dummy for calling before I came on here.