PDA

View Full Version : s/o Bomb Threat

BabyMine
11-30-2011, 10:12 PM
A while back Fairy posted about a suspicious bag being left in front of a school and that all the schools were on lock down or had to be evacuated. (I hope I got that right)

Anyway, it made me think about how the world has changed. When I was growing up and a bag was just left somewhere we would pick it up and either find who owned it or turn it in. In high school we would have students call in bomb threats, maybe once a year, to get out of taking exams. They would get suspended or maybe expelled but never thought of as terrorists. We as students knew it was a prank because nothing had ever happened before.

How sad how we don't feel safe anymore.

OKKiddo
11-30-2011, 11:34 PM
Very true. And they keep playing The Manhattan Project on tv and it may have been a hippy'ish movie before about a smart kid being a curious kid who was angry about nuclear materials being near them and not disclosed of....but I couldn't watch that movie now after 9/11 without thinking about how different it would be viewed now.

gatorsmom
12-01-2011, 12:05 AM
I'm not sure how old you are, but when I was growing up, no we didn't have terrorist threats in our neighbirhoods but we were constantly aware of Russia's thousands of nuclear missiles pointed at us. There was always the fear that someone might just decide or a accidently just push a button.

And i wanted to say, I remember a bomb threat at my kindergarten back in the late 70's. The entire school had to stay outside for what seemed like hours while they checked out every room. I'm from a small city of 50,000. So, it could have happened then too.

So as far as feeling safe, I wouldn't take the Cold War era again over nowadays for nothing.

Globetrotter
12-01-2011, 12:34 AM
I agree that we had fears, but they were different (the Cold War is a good example). In my HS, we did have bomb threats from time to time, and they were always pranks.

BabyMine
12-01-2011, 12:50 AM
I'm not sure how old you are, but when I was growing up, no we didn't have terrorist threats in our neighbirhoods but we were constantly aware of Russia's thousands of nuclear missiles pointed at us. There was always the fear that someone might just decide or a accidently just push a button.

And i wanted to say, I remember a bomb threat at my kindergarten back in the late 70's. The entire school had to stay outside for what seemed like hours while they checked out every room. I'm from a small city of 50,000. So, it could have happened then too.

So as far as feeling safe, I wouldn't take the Cold War era again over nowadays for nothing.

I am 35

I remember the Cold War fear but because we hadn't had anything happen in the US it didn't seem so urgent. Maybe I view things differently because I'm older and more aware of the world but it's just sad how nervous and fearful we have become.

gatorsmom
12-01-2011, 02:30 AM
I am 35

I remember the Cold War fear but because we hadn't had anything happen in the US it didn't seem so urgent. Maybe I view things differently because I'm older and more aware of the world but it's just sad how nervous and fearful we have become.

I'm 40yo. Your parents must have been smarter than mine and not let you watch the movie Red Dawn. That scared the crap out of me. I was either 12 or 13 when I saw it (in 1984). And I remember my mom talking about the Cuban Missile Crisis with me probably a few years later. That was only 20 years earlier and she remembered vividly how frightened everyone was. Heck, I can still remember the words to Sting's song "Russians" from the Dream of the Blue Turtles album which came out in 1985. The Russians were very smart, very organized, and very powerful. Threat of nuclear war pervaded society and it was constant. It was a terrible, long game of "wait it out and see."

I feel much less threatened by terrorists. At least they can't obliterate our entire country in a half hours time.

But I do feel less secure now than I did then, just in a different sense. Now I look on the television and see that our stupid elected leaders can't balance our budget. I see that Europe is teetering on the brink of economic collapse, a collapse that would probably send us into a Depression. I see our own banks being managed by greedy, morally questionable executives. And that makes me feel very unsure of what our future will look like. So, in that sense, I hear you.

Nooknookmom
12-01-2011, 07:07 AM

:yeahthat: I always watched the news with my Mom and & would wake up as alittle kid and worry about the *red* button!!!