PDA

View Full Version : Need idea for one gift for Office Staff to share that is NOT food

overcome
12-01-2011, 01:17 PM
I would like to give DD's school office staff a gift for Christmas, but I don't want it to be food. Typically I'd make a tray of cookies, or poppyseed tea bread, but I know ppl get sick of sweets around the holidays and are constantly watching their weight, etc. Any ideas? I'm stumped! I'd say there about 5-10 ppl there...a few secretaries, nurse, principal, etc.

I thought maybe a poinsettia plant?

boolady
12-01-2011, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't feel I could give everyone a plant that they would truly be sharing. Maybe that's just me, but at the end of the day, you know that one or two people are going to be the ones caring for or truly able to enjoy seeing the plant.

I know you don't want food, but what about functional food instead of sweets, like a small tray of wraps and a salad that they can all have for lunch one day? I know that when we brought this to DD's school for Teacher Appreciation, everyone loved it because it wasn't just "extra" food.

HonoluluMom
12-01-2011, 01:24 PM
I know you don't want food, but what about functional food instead of sweets, like a small tray of wraps and a salad that they can all have for lunch one day?

:yeahthat:

TwinFoxes
12-01-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm with boolady, I don't think of a plant as a group gift. Do people really get that sick of sweets? It's been a few years since I worked, but I don't remember getting sick of holiday sweets. :) How about coffee/tea/hot cocoa extravaganza from a coffee shop? Or, one of those Edible Arrangements? I know it's still food, but not super sweet.

DietCokeLover
12-01-2011, 01:25 PM
I think a food tray would be good. Either a nugget tray or cheese and fruit or sandwiches would be a nice gift.

Melaine
12-01-2011, 01:27 PM
That's a tough one. I agree that sweets can get old...I know when I worked at the law firm, we got an unreal amount of sweets. What we did love getting....or at least I LOVED, was when people sent those lovely boxes of fresh fruit. Just whole pears, oranges, etc. They were always really good and it was so nice to have something fresh and healthy to snack on amid all the holiday gluttony!

BayGirl2
12-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Agree, anything non-food is difficult to share. I'm trying to come up with ideas myself.

I personally get sick of the sweets very fast, and I'm not a teacher, just a regular office person who receives client and supplier gifts. Not being surrounded by unsolicited food is just one reason I prefer working at home.

I like the ideas for a tray of sandwich/wraps or an edible arrangement. Fruit is a welcome change and still sweet enough that everyone loves it.

Green_Tea
12-01-2011, 01:40 PM
That's a tough one. I agree that sweets can get old...I know when I worked at the law firm, we got an unreal amount of sweets. What we did love getting....or at least I LOVED, was when people sent those lovely boxes of fresh fruit. Just whole pears, oranges, etc. They were always really good and it was so nice to have something fresh and healthy to snack on amid all the holiday gluttony!

:yeahthat:
I think a fruit basket is the way to go.

overcome
12-01-2011, 02:07 PM
The sandwich/salad try is a nice idea. I should have thought of that! I had done that before at daycare. I'd also like to look into an edible arrangement, but I'm afraid that would be too expensive.

Thanks!!

BayGirl2
12-01-2011, 02:12 PM
The sandwich/salad try is a nice idea. I should have thought of that! I had done that before at daycare. I'd also like to look into an edible arrangement, but I'm afraid that would be too expensive.

Thanks!!

I just looked up exactly the same thing. Now I'm wondering if I can make an edible arrangement with fruit. That seems like a good idea, but maybe I'm underestimating the difficulty.

MelissaTC
12-01-2011, 02:13 PM
You could also do a box of coffee and bagels with various cream cheeses from Panera or a local shop.