PDA

View Full Version : When did your DC get a two wheel bike?

HonoluluMom
12-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Just wondering, when do kids normally get their first two wheel bicycle?

FWIW DD, who turned 2 in August, has a tricycle but doesn't pedal it because she can't reach the pedals.

wolverine2
12-01-2011, 02:42 PM
My DS2 got a balance bike when he was 2 (he inherited it from his brother, who got it when he was 3). Highly recommend the balance bike! I finally donated our tricycle because neither kid used it when they could go so much faster on the balance bike.

logan's mom
12-05-2011, 10:31 AM
We got DS1 a Strider balance bike last christmas when he was 16 months. He started using it immediately and loves it. FWIW-he started walking at 10 months and is very coordinated (didn't get that from me!)
He can ride fast enough that I have to jog along side him to keep up.

roseyloxs
12-05-2011, 10:47 AM
My ds got a balance bike after he was 2 and a bike with pedals (no training wheels) for his 3rd birthday.

DD got the hand me down balance bike for her 2nd birthday. We have since moved to a hilly neighborhood so she doesn't get the same opportunity to use it. Actually let her use it around the house yesterday. She loves it.

mini-kick scooter is also a big hit with both ds and dd.

Simon
12-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Ds1 didn't get a 2-wheeled bike until he was 5.5 yo, a little after in fact. We got him biking gear (special gloves and helmet) and told him he could have a 2-wheeled bike at his 4yo Christmas and he said he wasn't interested, "But I already have a tricycle!"

Ds2 is much more confident with physical things so we'll get him a balance bike for his 2nd birthday or a little after.

mommytoC
12-05-2011, 06:29 PM
mini-kick scooter is also a big hit with both ds and dd.

In our neighborhood, the average is around 4 years for a 2-wheel bike (with training wheels). (My DDs are very tall, so it's been earlier for them, i.e. 2.5 years
for DD#1 (after outgrowing her trike), but the training wheels didn't come off until she was 3.5 to 4 (DD was ready, I think, but DH and I were not :))). I think a balance bike might be a great option for your DD, but also wanted to recommend the mini-kick. DD#2 got one for her second birthday (after DD#1 got a Razor),
and loves it!

AnnieW625
12-06-2011, 06:38 PM
For her 4th birthday, but now 18 mos.+ later she is just lesrning to ride without training wheels. We did not do a balance bike.

edurnemk
12-06-2011, 06:42 PM
DS got a Strider Balance bike for his 3rd Bday (we should've gotten it sooner) and he loves it, he has a trike he can pedal as well. He's getting a regular bike for Xmas at DH's insistence, he never really got the balance bike concept and feels DS needs to learn to ride a real bike ASAP, which I don't necessarily agree with but I'm not fighting that battle.

kijip
12-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Bike with training wheels at 4 for T.

Balance bike at 3rd birthday for F (2 days after Xmas).

stefani
12-07-2011, 12:03 AM
I have a petite DS, so he got a trike at 18 months, a balance bike at 4 years old and 12-inch two-wheeler at 6 years old. He did graduate to a 16-inch shortly after he got the 12-inch two-wheeler.

It is just that it was difficult to find him a balance bike as well as regular bike that would be small enough for him. I imagine a bigger & taller child can do a trike at 2, a balance bike at 3, and then a two-wheeler at 4 years old.

new_mommy25
12-07-2011, 03:19 AM
4 years for both kids. They had a trike with push bar starting at about a year old.

essnce629
12-07-2011, 04:10 AM
DS1 is 8 and still refuses to let us get him a bike! He's just not interested at all in learning how to ride one. He had a balance bike when he was younger, but never wanted a regular bike after that. He loves his scooter though.

turtle12
12-07-2011, 05:44 AM
DS1 is 8 and still refuses to let us get him a bike! He's just not interested at all in learning how to ride one. He had a balance bike when he was younger, but never wanted a regular bike after that. He loves his scooter though.

omg, this is us!!!!!

BeachBum
12-07-2011, 07:41 AM
My oldest got a balance bike before turning 3, and was riding a two wheel bike sans training wheels about a month after his 4th birthday.
He did ride with training wheels for a few months.

My younger two boys (twins) are turning three next month and have been showing interest in a two wheel bike with training wheels. (Read having a tantrum at walmart when we walk by). But we are going to wait, stick with the balance bikes and move to a more quality bike around 4.