PDA

View Full Version : **Updated #14** WWYD: Rash at site of flu shot and leg swollen

randomkid
12-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Update in post #14
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not intended to start a thread on whether or not I should vaccinate my child. This is a choice I make and am only coming for advice and help.

DD received the flu vaccine yesterday afternoon and had the typical reaction of soreness at the site. Her ped gives injections in the thigh for young children. It was cool here today, so DD wore tights to school. She wore them all evening and when she took them off, I noticed a faint red, splotchy rash just below the site of the injection. She says it does not itch. Then, I noticed her entire thigh is swollen. Also, no complaints of pain or anything. She's never had this type of reaction to a vaccine and received this same flu vaccine last year with no problems.

So, should I just keep an eye on it? Call the ped tonight or in the am? Don't tell me to rush her to the ED because it's not bothering her and is still basically a local reaction. I likely will not be going to the ED, but can call the on-call nurse (for a $20 charge). Anyone else have similar experiences with their DC after receiving a vaccine?

Thanks in advance!

barkley1
12-01-2011, 09:47 PM
No experience withnthe flu vaccine in a child, but...I got the dTap vaccine a few months ago bcd had a newborn and they recommend that now. Well, my shoulder hurt like hell for a week, had a pinkish bruise, and even swelled up a little in the muscle where e shot was given. I though it was a big deal, but dr office said that occasionally happens.

daisymommy
12-01-2011, 09:55 PM
I would report the reaction to the Ped., keep an eye on it, and apply cold compresses. We don't vax, but I hear that's a pretty normal, not medically urgent side effect, due to irritation from the adjuvant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDog
12-01-2011, 10:03 PM
My DS2 got a vaccine in his thigh at 6mos. Then at around 9 or 10mos, I noticed a lump there because he kept scratching that area of his leg. I called the ped and they said not to worry about it, it would eventually go away. By his 12mo well visit it was still there and I once again brought it up to the ped because my DS constantly scratches it. He's now almost 15 mos, still has the lump, and still scratches it all.the.time. Since his 12 mo well visit, I've seen the ped two more times about this and they just keep telling me that it will eventually go away as the muscle grows as he grows. They really can't give me any explanation as to why he's constantly scratching it though.

randomkid
12-01-2011, 10:03 PM
I would report the reaction to the Ped., keep an eye on it, and apply cold compresses. We don't vax, but I hear that's a pretty normal, not medically urgent side effect, due to irritation from the adjuvant.

I will definitely be calling the ped. I just wasn't sure if I should call tonight or wait until tomorrow. DD has had local swelling (right around the injection site) before, but never her entire thigh. It's fairly swollen from her groin to her knee. Is that type of swelling considered normal?

trcy
12-01-2011, 10:15 PM
I will definitely be calling the ped. I just wasn't sure if I should call tonight or wait until tomorrow. DD has had local swelling (right around the injection site) before, but never her entire thigh. It's fairly swollen from her groin to her knee. Is that type of swelling considered normal?
I would call tonight; that seems like alot of swelling.

kdeunc
12-01-2011, 10:39 PM
As an adult I have had my whole arm swell slightly and hurt like heck for a week from both a flu vaccine and a tetnus shot. I think a call in the am would be fine. Hope it looks/feels better soon.

SnuggleBuggles
12-01-2011, 10:59 PM
I hope all is well. No btdt. It'd be worth the $20 to call tonight, imo. (And then find a ped that doesn't charge $20 for an on call advice line. ;))

Beth

misshollygolightly
12-01-2011, 11:03 PM
I hope all is well. No btdt. It'd be worth the $20 to call tonight, imo. (And then find a ped that doesn't charge $20 for an on call advice line. ;))

Beth

:yeahthat: I'd call...they may tell you to wait and see, but it'd be worth the $20 for peace of mind. That sounds like a lot of swelling. Some swelling is normal, but this sounds like its borderline...

rachelh
12-01-2011, 11:46 PM
I'd call tonight but they may tell you to wait until tomorrow. DD had a similar reaction to a vaccine in her thigh - was swollen, red, hard, and warm. Doc said to bring her that day, took one look at it, and prescribed antibiotics. We were also told to apply compresses. (I am assuming cold but can't remember.)

I think that sometimes for some reason the fluid from the vaccine stays in the general area of the injection instead of spreading out as it should and the area can start to become infected.

JBaxter
12-02-2011, 09:44 AM
How is she this morning? I didnt think flu vaccines reacted quite that badly

SnuggleBuggles
12-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Any update?

MSWR0319
12-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Hope she's doing ok today. Not quite the same, but I get monthly allergy shots and sometimes they swell up quite large and are red like you've described. Sometimes it lasts a few hours, sometimes a few days, sometimes no reaction at all. It all depends on who gives me the shot and where exactly in the arm they give it. my allergist says it's normal, just something about how that part of your body reacts to serum and the needle being inserted. Maybe this is a similar situation?

randomkid
12-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks for asking. DD is fine, but her thigh is still swollen. This morning it was better, red rashiness was gone. However, when I went to work, I spoke to a physician friend of mine and he said No, that is not a normal reaction and I should call her ped because she is having an abnormal response to the vaccine. He said at the very least just to let them know what is happening and they can document it in her record since it could be some type of allergic reaction. The concern being that the next shot may cause a systemic allergic reaction. He suggested I call and have the school nurse look at it, then decide. So, school nurse looks at it, says no redness and no swelling. This was around noon.

DD wore tights again today and I had her take them off when we got home. Thigh is swollen, but better than yesterday, mostly around the area of the injection, but still her entire thigh. However, the very faint, red rash had spread from the injection site down to her knee, but only on the outside of her thigh. No fever, no pain, no itchiness and not warm/hot to the touch. About an hour after the tights came off, the redness was better, but swelling still there. It seems that the tights make the rash worse. She was outside when I picked her up from school, running a lot and likely quite warm under those tights. Tonight, she was playing with the dog, running full speed with no problems.

I plan to give her a dose of Benadryl tonight (actually right now since it's almost 9:00!). I slept with her last night just in case it was an allergic reaction that worsened, but she was fine. I, however, was quite cramped in her little twin bed!

If the redness and swelling have not improved by morning, I will take her to the ped. I called and told them about it. They wanted me to bring her in, but I chose not to since it seemed to be getting better. I did ask them to note it in her chart. She has her well visit next month, so I will make sure it is in there when we go. Will definitely take her in tomorrow if it is still swollen and/or rashy.

Pinky
12-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Glad she is doing better!
You might want to check this out as well...
http://vaers.hhs.gov/index

randomkid
12-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Glad she is doing better!
You might want to check this out as well...
http://vaers.hhs.gov/index

Yes, I already looked at this. I want to wait it out a bit so I can give complete info about the reaction.

Pinky
12-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Yes, I already looked at this. I want to wait it out a bit so I can give complete info about the reaction.

Good idea!