PDA

View Full Version : Mommy guilt: I just gave Delsym to my 2 year old

maylips
12-01-2011, 10:08 PM
I just couldn't take the hacking anymore. And the no sleep. I felt so bad for him...but now I feel so bad that I gave him medicine.

Please tell me you've done the same and it helped your kid.

Green_Tea
12-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Dr. Sears says Delsym is safe for 12 months+.
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/medicine-cabinet/delsym

As long as you administered a dose that's appropriate for his weight (which I think would need to be determined by his pediatrician), I don't think there's anything to feel guilty about. There are no awards for parents who never give their kids meds. If the appropriate dose makes him comfortable and allows him to sleep, I'd feel guilty NOT giving it to him.

Clarity
12-01-2011, 10:16 PM
I've used it before but I don't really think that it helped her much. On the other hand, I really think rubbing Vicks on the bottom of her feet DID help. Either that or it was a frequent coincidence.

doberbrat
12-01-2011, 10:19 PM
no guilt here. I've used stuff like this for my girls at much younger ages. Dont understimate the power of sleep.... IMO its much harder to get well if you cant sleep.

hope everyone gets a good, healing night of sleep.

Kymberley
12-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Oh honey, do not feel bad. DS took some tonight as well. It's not the first time either.

Cam&Clay
12-01-2011, 10:32 PM
No worries. Done that.

mom2beofboy/girltwins
12-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Peditrician told me to give it to my twins, just for that reason, so they could sleep. It's definitely ok at appropriate dosages.

MamaMolly
12-01-2011, 10:35 PM
If it helps then consider it a blessing! I'm sorry your little guy is feeling puny. :kisscheek:

boilermakermom
12-01-2011, 10:52 PM
We do it as well. No guilt!!! Sleep is a must when sick!!!!!

maylips
12-01-2011, 11:26 PM
On the other hand, I really think rubbing Vicks on the bottom of her feet DID help. Either that or it was a frequent coincidence.

Thank you, girls! I feel better now. And yes, the Vicks did help a bunch the first few nights. The cough has just gotten worse today.

alexsmommy
12-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Would totally do it so they can sleep. I'm all for all other alternative remedies during the day, but if we are more than one day without sleep, or it was a really rough day even with all the other attempts, I look up dosing online with no guilt at all come bedtime.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-01-2011, 11:40 PM
The old school Vicks Vaporizers with rosemary oil works wonders for us. Be careful with Vicks, menthol can be harmful to kiddos.