PDA

View Full Version : NY or DC at Christmas Time with kids

Jen841
12-01-2011, 10:55 PM
We have done NY and love it, the kids love it. Debating switching it up and doing DC this year. What would we do?

TwinFoxes
12-01-2011, 11:21 PM
I'd vote NY :bag

That being said, I saw the White House tonight and it looked gorgeous decorated. The National Christmas tree is decorated, and Santa has his workshop nearby. The Naional Zoo has its Zoo-lights program, which is supposed to be fun. Lots of museums if it's too chilly to venture out. I bet the National Cathedral has programs. And if you venture out into the VirginiaMaryland exurbs there are drive-through light displays in parks.

maylips
12-01-2011, 11:28 PM
I can't remember how old your kids are but if they remember NYC, I'd do DC. You can always go back next year to NY but a different experience is always good. I'm jealous you have a choice between the two!

Update us when you get back. NY is pretty magical this time of year but after the PP mentioned what's going on in DC, I'm intrigued.

vludmilla
12-01-2011, 11:41 PM
I'd vote DC based on what TwinFoxes described. I live in NY and I think our city is fantastic but that DC/surrounding area stuff sounds great.

LD92599
12-02-2011, 12:18 AM
If you opt for DC besure to check out National Harbor and The Gaylord Hotel! We walked around just as they were decorating and even then it was beautiful!

lowrioh
12-02-2011, 12:30 AM
I LOVE NYC at Christmas but if you've done that then I would say DC. It should be a much calmer experience. Things that the PP haven't mentioned are the train displays at Union Station and the Botanical Gardens which is just off the Mall by the Capitol building. There is also skating on the Mall which always seemed like a fun idea. There is a Christmas tree on the lawn on the West side of the Capitol that I always like looking at too. Old Town Alexandria also has a lot of decorations etc. The various embassies may also have stuff going on but you would have to look into that.
The Washington Post's "Going Out Guide" is a great place to find out about that sort of thing.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/

lowrioh
12-02-2011, 12:31 AM
If you opt for DC besure to check out National Harbor and The Gaylord Hotel! We walked around just as they were decorating and even then it was beautiful!

:yeahthat:

They are supposed to have a fabulous ice sculpture display. It's on my to do list.

Smillow
12-02-2011, 12:50 AM
If you do DC, check out Eastern Market (http://www.easternmarket-dc.org/) (esp on the weekends) & the Downtown Holiday Market (http://www.downtownholidaymarket.com/).

Jen841
12-02-2011, 02:09 PM
DC or Great Wolf Lodge. We'll have less than 24 hours there, but we like to do a holiday season trip. The boys are 6 and 8.

Simon
12-02-2011, 02:27 PM
The GWL is a family tradition for us at Christmas time so I would vote for going there! But then again, I am *cold* right now and being indoors and warm sounds really nice.

wifecat
12-02-2011, 05:25 PM
What about Williamsburg instead? They have really cool activities, events, and decorations for Christmas.

Pinky
12-02-2011, 10:34 PM
We did DC a few years back at Christmas and it was so wonderful! I highly recommend it. We emailed our congressmen to try to get a White House tour and it worked. The White House all decorated up for the holiday was amazing.