PDA

View Full Version : Dosage on lecithin for plugged ducts?

gatorsmom
12-02-2011, 10:07 AM
My cousin had a baby and despite everyone around her encouraging her to give it up, she really wants to keep breastfeeding. I've told her time and again to call me with questions since I'm the only person she knows who successfully breastfed, but she's afraid she is bothering me. Silly girl.

I don't have the extensive experience you guys here have but at least I can ask here for her questions.

She had a plugged duct this week and is afraid of getting more. I read here to take lecithin to prevent future clogs but couldnt find the dosage. Also, where can she buy lecithin?

I have more questions but will have to post later. TIA!

kaharris83
12-02-2011, 10:19 AM
I followed the dosing on Kelly Mom. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/lecithin.html
I didn't take it all the time. When I started to get a clog I would start taking it and the clog would resolve, usually same day. I've bought it at Walgreens and Walmart in the vitamin section.

Moneypenny
12-02-2011, 10:41 AM
I also followed the Kelly Mom dosing, but I took it continually (I just took one pill/day as a maintenance dose once the plugs resolved) since the couple of times I tried to stop I just got more plugged ducts.

lizzywednesday
12-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I followed the KellyMom dosage & took it when I felt a clog coming on.

I bought mine at the regular grocery store, in the "natural foods" section near the vitamins. It may say "soy lecithin" or similar on the bottle.

Firsttime
12-28-2011, 12:52 AM
I bought it on Amazon, I think.
Dosage is probably even written on the bottle too.

I took it for a period of 2-3 mos because I got plugged 2-3 times really bad. And then there didn't seem to be any probs. And I have successfully Bf-ed for a year:yay:

It is best for her to see a lactation consultant asap. The benefits of bfing far outweigh the initial hurdle. But ofcourse if matters get worse then there will be no choice left. really would give her a hug & ask her to hang in there.