PDA

View Full Version : S/O Address label/stamp if you have different last name from DH?

liz
12-02-2011, 11:01 AM
I have been wanting to buy some pretty new address labels or address stamp, but I am stumped with wording.

I have a hyphenated last name (maiden + DH last name). The kids' go by DH's last name only.

Right now we have:

Me XXX-ZZZ
DH ZZZ
street address
city, state zip

Anyway to incorporate my last name without making it so wordy?

These are the kind of designs I was hoping for: http://www.expressionery.com/line.aspx?lineid=254

infomama
12-02-2011, 11:09 AM
I don't think it can be done. I would just have a personal return address stamp with your hyphenated name. I use my personal stamp on most correspondence even when it's from the entire family.

mommylamb
12-02-2011, 11:10 AM
The way you have it is the way we do it. I think it looks fine though. I didn't hyphenate, just kept my last name so ours is

Me ZZZ
DH XXX
Address
Address

elbenn
12-02-2011, 11:14 AM
You may already know this but there is a good sale on address stamps at expressionery. If you enter code GMA they are 50% off. Code is good through today.

BTW, those are the exact stamps I am looking at.

minnie-zb
12-02-2011, 11:18 AM
I hypenate too, which of those stamps are you considering? I've been wanting do this for a long time, but like you, my name has been holding up progress.

infomama
12-02-2011, 11:24 AM
You may already know this but there is a good sale on address stamps at expressionery. If you enter code GMA they are 50% off. Code is good through today.

BTW, those are the exact stamps I am looking at.

GMA didn't work for me

minnie-zb
12-02-2011, 11:28 AM
GMA didn't work for me

Try using this link:

www.expressionery.com/GMA

There's a bunch of other codes for personalized gifts in case anyone is interested:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/steals-deals-gma-viewers-exclusive-discounts-unique-gift/story?id=15061161

liz
12-02-2011, 11:30 AM
I hypenate too, which of those stamps are you considering? I've been wanting do this for a long time, but like you, my name has been holding up progress.

I haven't decided on a particular design, only because I haven't seen a design that would incorporate 2 different names. I figured they might throw in one design like that and that's the one I would have to pick, lol. I like that they have the wording in a circle or a square format. I am tired of my traditional looking labels.

elbenn, thanks for the code. I am going to have to do some serious looking for a style that will work, although I fear it might not be possble as PP mentioned.

infomama
12-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Try using this link:

www.expressionery.com/GMA

There's a bunch of other codes for personalized gifts in case anyone is interested:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/steals-deals-gma-viewers-exclusive-discounts-unique-gift/story?id=15061161

Cool..that worked. More limited choices but found one I liked for my mom!

elbenn
12-02-2011, 11:32 AM
I just tried it and it works for me. Maybe try using the link minnie-zb provided.

minnie-zb
12-02-2011, 11:41 AM
I haven't decided on a particular design, only because I haven't seen a design that would incorporate 2 different names. I figured they might throw in one design like that and that's the one I would have to pick, lol. I like that they have the wording in a circle or a square format. I am tired of my traditional looking labels.

elbenn, thanks for the code. I am going to have to do some serious looking for a style that will work, although I fear it might not be possble as PP mentioned.

All of the ones I see don't seem very friendly for hyphenating folks! Maybe we need to start our own line.

infomama
12-02-2011, 11:48 AM
All of the ones I see don't seem very friendly for hyphenating folks! Maybe we need to start our own line.

I have often thought about this for those of us who have two middle names.

liz
12-02-2011, 11:55 AM
OK, here is what I am thinking. It looks like the most you can fit is 55 characters.

Here is one design I am thinking of: http://www.expressionery.com/product.aspx?lineid=340&productid=2121

Would it be weird to see:

J. Smith-Brown & Richard 123 Main Street Pleasantville CA 01234 (with "Brown" being written in the center of this design)?

I can't fit any more characters because of my ridiculously long first name, so I would have to put an initial for my first name. This is the best I can come up with and still keep my hyphenated name. Opinions please!!

ladysoapmaker
12-02-2011, 11:58 AM
DH and I ended up getting labels through the UU (I think they came with the magazine subscription) and they say
DH YYY and Jen ZZZ
address
city, state zip

I like them. nice and understated. And the only reason DH's name is first because it comes before mine alphabetically.

So that style might be good, depending on how long your last names are.

Good Luck,
Jen

elbenn
12-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Liz, so many of the stamps don't have any first names at all--just last names--so I wouldn't worry that you don't have your first name. Can you fit in the word "family" so it would be Smith-Brown & Richard Family. Although I don't know if this is any better than what you have.

minnie-zb
12-02-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm thinking about chucking last names completely and going with this one:

http://www.expressionery.com/product.aspx?lineid=340&productid=2108

liz
12-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Liz, so many of the stamps don't have any first names at all--just last names--so I wouldn't worry that you don't have your first name. Can you fit in the word "family" so it would be Smith-Brown & Richard Family. Although I don't know if this is any better than what you have.

yeah, I am stumped too. It doesn't help that my first name is spelled just a wee bit different than the traditional spelling. That means someone is going to spell either my first name or last name wrong every time, if I leave a first initial.

My SIL has a hyphenated name but just uses her DH's last name in her address labels. sigh. I can't believe they don't have a solution for this. Maybe I will have to stick with labels.

infomama
12-02-2011, 12:14 PM
How about just using your first names?

rin
12-02-2011, 12:19 PM
For our return address, we have:

LastName1/LastName2
Address
City, State, Zip

ETA: I don't really worry about the whole not-spelling-my-name-right thing; nobody ever spells it right, regardless of whether it's on a label (it's similar to a very common alternative spelling and apparently people just get confused) and I figure my name's always on the letter inside, provided the letter has anything to do with me in the first place.

liz
12-02-2011, 05:28 PM
I wound up talking to someone at Expressionary.com. They do not offer anything for families with different last names or hyphenated names. The representative will forward this to marketing, but in the meantime I am still clueless as to what to pick.

I have been procrastinating about this for so long and I am almost out of address labels. Looks like I'll be handwriting my address on all of our Christmas cards. bleh

ha98ed14
12-02-2011, 05:46 PM
I wound up talking to someone at Expressionary.com. They do not offer anything for families with different last names or hyphenated names. The representative will forward this to marketing, but in the meantime I am still clueless as to what to pick.

I have been procrastinating about this for so long and I am almost out of address labels. Looks like I'll be handwriting my address on all of our Christmas cards. bleh

What about something that just uses the house number, street and city, state, zip? DH and I have different last names and I've eyed something like this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/68434318/custom-address-stamp-style-copper?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=house+number+stamp&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_spelling_corrected=house+number+stanp&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

Kindra178
12-02-2011, 06:11 PM
I have been wanting to buy some pretty new address labels or address stamp, but I am stumped with wording.

I have a hyphenated last name (maiden + DH last name). The kids' go by DH's last name only.

Right now we have:

Me XXX-ZZZ
DH ZZZ
street address
city, state zip

Anyway to incorporate my last name without making it so wordy?

These are the kind of designs I was hoping for: http://www.expressionery.com/line.aspx?lineid=254

For the purposes of our address stamp, we just use my husband's and kids' last name, which is our family name. I'm cool with that. It's a circle so it really wouldn't work to do a double name. Similarly, I don't care if a wedding invitation is addressed to Mr. and Mrs. husband's name. What does get my goat: once I was invited to a bridal shower for a really close friend of ten years and she addressed my invitation to Mrs. My husband's first and last name. I am not cool with that.

liz
12-02-2011, 06:13 PM
OK, so as I was typing my previous response, I went into a cold sweat thinking that I would have to handwrite each address on my Christmas cards. (Or I could get DH to FINALLY set up our computer to print our addresses onto the envelopes....this is wishful thinking, btw)

But I did stumble upon this stamp:
http://www.currentlabels.com/Name+Self+Inking+Square+Address+Stamp

I would still have to initialize my first name (only allows 16 characters), but at least there are 4 lines for our 2 names, street address and town/state/zip. I thought I would post in case anyone was interested.

YouAreTheFocus
12-02-2011, 06:14 PM
I am in the same situation and I would do as others have suggested...in fact I think I will order one from this site!

Smith-Brown & Brown
L. Smith-Brown & R. Brown
Liz & Rich

or one of the address-only styles, like you linked to. I wouldn't do one that has a big initial/name in the middle.

ha98ed14
12-02-2011, 06:16 PM
OK, so as I was typing my previous response, I went into a cold sweat thinking that I would have to handwrite each address on my Christmas cards. (Or I could get DH to FINALLY set up our computer to print our addresses onto the envelopes....this is wishful thinking, btw)

I would still have to initialize my first name (only allows 16 characters), but at least there are 4 lines for our 2 names, street address and town/state/zip. I thought I would post in case anyone was interested.

So whose name gets to be in the big bold HAMILTON letters?

liz
12-02-2011, 06:17 PM

Oops, I made an error. It allows 28 characters, so I could easily fit my entire name. I am not totally crazy about the design, but I can live with it. I knew there had to be at least one stamp to fit my needs! At least it makes my decision making a bit easier since there is only one choice :)

liz
12-02-2011, 06:18 PM
So whose name gets to be in the big bold HAMILTON letters?

Oh, my DH's last name. I just wanted my full name on their somewhere :)

ha98ed14
12-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Oh, my DH's last name. I just wanted my full name on their somewhere :)

I'm glad you found something you're happy with :)

Pyrodjm
12-02-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm thinking about chucking last names completely and going with this one:

http://www.expressionery.com/product.aspx?lineid=340&productid=2108

I was going to suggest this one! I would definitely get it if we had different last names in our family.

ha98ed14
12-02-2011, 06:32 PM
I am in the same situation and I would do as others have suggested...in fact I think I will order one from this site!

Smith-Brown & Brown
L. Smith-Brown & R. Brown
Liz & Rich

or one of the address-only styles, like you linked to. I wouldn't do one that has a big initial/name in the middle.

See, I couldn't do the big initial/bold lastname design either. It wouldn't be fair to me or DH. (Neither of us took the other's name. DD has his, so I am definitely the odd-man-out, but seeing as how I do 99.9% of all correspondence (business and personal) and all the bills are in my name, this household DBA MyLastname! So I'm sticking with the address-only stamp. Then we can write in a name if it is important that there be a name in the "From" spot.

liz
12-02-2011, 06:44 PM

I am going to wait for DH's opinion. He may think the swirl is a bit much. I am still keeping the address only version in mind, though.

mommytotwo
12-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Current catalog used to have some other styles where you might still be able to bold it if you would be willing to do the following (and depending upon how long your last name is).

Last name1-Last name 2 Family
address
address

I didn't hypen, but I was able to include both of our last names on the stamper when I ordered one a few years back.