PDA

View Full Version : Would you want a coffee maker and TV in the bathroom?

american_mama
12-02-2011, 11:25 AM
I was just watching a bathroom renovation show with a horrible 1970's bathroom that included an old intercom in the bath,which was royally mocked by the host and homeowners. i personally thought it might have a place, but put that thought aside. Then, not a minute later in her description of new bath wish list, the homeowner said she wanted a TV and coffee maker.

Really? Would you want this? The intercom is a bizarre bath amenity, but the TV and coffeemker aren't? I don't drink coffee and have never wanted a TV in my bedroom, so I'm not a great one to judge. But preparing food in the bathroom? When would you even watch TV in bathroom? It was not viewable from the shower area and there was no bath, which is the only time I could envision using it.

Now, I'd like people's answer just based on the above. And then, consider that they got a high end coffee maker that also did espresso and lattes, with programmable settings for 5 people. The bathroom was high end but not crazy over the top. But the coffee maker alone cost $2,300.

So, would you still be smiling at that? These homeowners were.

KLD313
12-02-2011, 11:27 AM
The TV doesn't bother me but the thought of a coffee maker in a bathroom grosses me out.

KHF
12-02-2011, 11:33 AM
The TV doesn't bother me but the thought of a coffee maker in a bathroom grosses me out.

:yeahthat: My mom has a TV in her bathroom...she watches the news while she's getting ready in the morning. There's also a big whirlpool tub in there, so she could watch if she was taking a bath. That said, her bathroom is huge so it doesn't seem weird. And it's just an old TV in there, not like something they got specifically for the bathroom.

No way, no day would I prepare food/beverage in the bathroom though. I won't even take a cup in with me.

zoestargrove
12-02-2011, 11:37 AM
ICK! I wouldn't want either in my bathroom. WHY WHY WHY a coffee maker? Can you imagine...having guests over and asking if they want a latte or espresso. Do you bring them up to your bathroom so they can make their own or leave them in the kitchen while you prepare their beverages in your bathroom. WEIRD!

The only reason I can think of having a tv in the bathroom is if you liked to take long baths. We're a 1 tv house though and it's not on very much.

My bff growing up had intercoms in her house. I can't remember if they had one in their bathroom.

emily
12-02-2011, 12:05 PM
No to both. Consumables should not be prepared in the bathroom!
The TV is a novel idea but we never use our tub. Plus, if we put one in there, DH may never come out.

sarahsthreads
12-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Er. No.

We have one TV in the house. And one coffee maker...which is in the kitchen, where it belongs.

Honestly though, the TV, while I wouldn't want one, doesn't weird me out nearly as much as the coffee maker. I don't even think I've ever been in a hotel that had the coffee maker in the bathroom. That just seems...wrong.

Sarah :)

MamaMolly
12-02-2011, 12:11 PM
The thought of a coffee maker in the bathroom is enough to make me gag. The cups sitting around...eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

maydaymommy
12-02-2011, 12:15 PM
I've seen a bunch of model (pricey) homes w/ a coffee station in the bedroom. But not in the bathroom! Similar concept though.

wellyes
12-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Maybe it is one of those toilet-less bathrooms? I have seen that, there is a room for showering and prepping and makeup and a separate room for toileting. I could see that. Some people want their home to feel as hotel-y as possible.

AnnieW625
12-02-2011, 12:53 PM
DH says the bathroom is for 2 things that start with "S".

crl
12-02-2011, 01:27 PM
No. And the coffeemaker strikes me as gross. I'd much rather have the intercom.

Catherine

momof2girls
12-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Yuck to the coffee maker. Waay too many germs in the vicinity!

BabbyO
12-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Hmmm...I didn't get the TV at first, but if I were a news watcher, a TV in the bathroom while getting ready would be nice. I insist on a clock in our bathroom (so I know what time it is in the AM and how late I'm going to be) and DH thought that was weird.

Coffee maker...I guess I get the thought behind it...but eww. Just make the coffee in the kitchen and if you must drink it while getting ready, bring your cup to the bathroom. If you have a 2 story home and don't want to go down to the kitchen to get your coffee...put the coffee maker in the bedroom...and make it a cheap one. The expensive, nice one that serves guests should be in the kitchen.

BTW most kitchens have as many germs as bathrooms, don't they?

LMPC
12-02-2011, 02:58 PM
ICK! I wouldn't want either in my bathroom. WHY WHY WHY a coffee maker? Can you imagine...having guests over and asking if they want a latte or espresso. Do you bring them up to your bathroom so they can make their own or leave them in the kitchen while you prepare their beverages in your bathroom. WEIRD!

:rotflmao:

Food in the bathroom is just disgusting!

TwinFoxes
12-02-2011, 03:02 PM
The intercom seems like a stroke of genius to me! A TV is NMS (we don't even have one in the bedroom), but I've stayed in hotel suites with them before, so that doesn't strike me as that odd.

A big fat HECK no to the coffee maker. Food, even a hot beverage, in the bathroom really skeeves me out, and I am not a germaphobe in the least.

twowhat?
12-02-2011, 03:02 PM
If it were a large luxury bathroom with well-delineated spaces for doing the S's vs "prepping" (makeup, dressing, etc), why not? Kinda reminds me of really nice hotel bathroom where there's a separate dressing/makeup area - as in, separated by a partial wall from the toilet/shower/sink area.

eta: DH stayed at a hotel once (for work) in which the bathroom had all GLASS WALLS. And a curtain that you could use to shield the glass if you wanted. The purpose? So you could shower and see the big flat-screen in the main room. It was a really expensive modern hotel. He sent me a pic with the caption "you would NOT like this..." hahaha!!!

mackmama
12-02-2011, 03:24 PM
I'd love a TV but definitely not a coffee maker -- yuck!

Melaine
12-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Umm NO. That is just weird.

sntm
12-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Voice of dissent - I could see having a coffee maker there. The master bathroom in our new house has a separate closed door area for the toilet, though, and is fairly large. I frequently bring drinks and even plates with toast into the bathroom to eat while putting makeup on.

At my old place, I used to bring in the small TV/VCR combo to the bathroom to watch movies in the bathtub.

hillview
12-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Voice of dissent - I could see having a coffee maker there. The master bathroom in our new house has a separate closed door area for the toilet, though, and is fairly large. I frequently bring drinks and even plates with toast into the bathroom to eat while putting makeup on.

At my old place, I used to bring in the small TV/VCR combo to the bathroom to watch movies in the bathtub.
:yeahthat:

it depends on the size of the bathroom and how far from a kitchen but I can see doing that in a larger bathroom/house.

lhafer
12-02-2011, 04:41 PM
:yeahthat: My mom has a TV in her bathroom...she watches the news while she's getting ready in the morning. There's also a big whirlpool tub in there, so she could watch if she was taking a bath. That said, her bathroom is huge so it doesn't seem weird. And it's just an old TV in there, not like something they got specifically for the bathroom.

No way, no day would I prepare food/beverage in the bathroom though. I won't even take a cup in with me.

Coffee - no, but I don't drink coffee. I could see it in a separate vanity area though.

We have a large art niche above our whirlpool tub. When we built the house, we installed the proper power outlets that would allow a tv to be there one day. We don't have one in there now though. But I would watch the morning news/weather/traffic/talk shows while getting ready. I miss most news anymore because I don't like having it with my kids around, and it's always on the Disney channel or HGTV or Food Network.

We also wired our bathroom to have a ceiling fan in it, and i plan to install one in the spring. But we have a large master bathroom. And it has windows and just gets warm in the summer.

maestramommy
12-02-2011, 05:14 PM
I can see wanting those two things under 2 circumstances.

1) The tub is a jacuzzi, and is separate from the toilet area. which would probably mean
2) the bathroom is huge, and I could see myself spending a lot of "me" time in the with a book.

Neither of which happens to be in the case in my house:tongue5: Our master bath is about the size of a handicapped stall with a changing table.

Jenn850
12-02-2011, 05:27 PM
I have a fantasy of having a beautiful silver faucet of coffee coming out of the wall next to my bed. I always said I would be happy to make the coffee and clean it out in the shared bathroom wall during the day to keep the dream alive. In that case, I can see a coffee maker in the bathroom. As NPR junkies, my husband and I would have little use of a tv in there, but I guess I could see it if you wanted to half listen to CNN while you got ready...

Kindra178
12-02-2011, 06:15 PM
I saw a $2 million dollar house in Chicago once that had a alcove off the master with a mini-fridge, sink, counterspace. It would be awesome to have a coffemaker upstairs. I would love that, but not in the bathroom. I love baths and spend a good amount of time in bathtubs but don't see a need for a tv in the bathroom.

Reader
12-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Maybe they really wanted a fancy new coffeemaker that they would unplug and move to the kitchen after the show left so they didn't have to pay for the coffeemaker.

Cam&Clay
12-02-2011, 07:08 PM
No to the coffee maker but yes to the tv. In our plans to renovate our master bedroom/bath, we want a huge soaking tub with a flat screen tv.

lovin2shop
12-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Yes and yes. And any and all other nice amenities that might come to mind would be welcomed in my dream bathroom. But, please leave the intercom, that way I don't have to shout "I'm in the bathroom!".

And, a Coffee maker in the kitchen is still required!

gatorsmom
12-02-2011, 08:59 PM
I've seen big houses with coffee makers in the master suite so the owner can make a latte first thing in the morning without having to go down to the kitchen. And the owner of our last house had cable connections for a tv in the master bathroom. We didn't put one in there, though. He was admittedly obsessed with TV though, because when they took us on a tour of their new house, he had tvs in all the bathrooms as well as their walk-in closet.

ETA: while i was breastfeeding and then later when our children were drinking from bottles, we had a mini fridge in our master bath (where the previous owner's tv was). We kept drinks for me and bottles of milk for the babies so we didn't have to go down to the kitchen in the middle of the night. Also, I hated going down the steps the first few days after my c/sections. the fridge was a handy place to keep snacks and drinks for me to get to easily.

DietCokeLover
12-02-2011, 09:07 PM
If you think about it, a lot of hotels have coffee makers in the bathroom area.

That being said, I would not want one even if I drank coffee. A diet coke machine, maybe! (jk)

BayGirl2
12-02-2011, 09:17 PM
The intercom makes a lot of sense to me.

We have a large master bath with a separate toilet room and a separate makeup area and large tub. I don't have a TV in the bathroom but I often bring my iPad in there to watch TV while folding laundry in the adjacent closet or when I labored in the bath tub. So I could see watching TV while getting dressed in the morning or in the bath. I've seen this in hotels.

We did for a while have a tea kettle in our master suite so we could have tea together in the evenings (yeah, didn't happen much). At one point we had a bottle warmer on the dressing table in the master bath. Its not a particularly germy area (far from the WC room) and has a nice wooden cabinetry counter, so that didn't feel gross to me at all. I do sometimes roll out of bed wanting coffee, but I can make myself wait to get downstairs.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-02-2011, 09:33 PM
DH says the bathroom is for 2 things that start with "S".

:hysterical: love it.

yeah, i'm not a coffee drinker but the idea of drinking/eating anything in the bathroom grosses me out. the only way i could see it working is if the bathroom was huge and the jacuzzi was in a separate part (not near the toilet) and there were drinks there. other than that, no way.

hillview
12-02-2011, 09:54 PM
This thread is interesting. I often take my tea into the bathroom while getting ready to shower and I never think twice about it.

mommytotwo
12-02-2011, 11:37 PM
I'd be grossed out to use a coffee maker there, but a TV would be okay.

hellokitty
12-03-2011, 01:51 AM
If it's large bathroom with separate areas, I could see a tv (and even a coffee maker, like in the lounge area) being ok. However, for a regular, bathroom that is smallish with sink/tub/toilet... no. That would be very odd.

Since we're on the topic of odd bathroom fixtures, my parents had PHONES installed into their master bathroom and the main bathroom. This was after cordless phones were already invented. I always hate it if I call home and it's very echoey, since it means that they are answering the phone while sitting on the crapper.

sunnyside
12-03-2011, 03:53 AM

I think your mom must live with my dad LOL. He's got the same setup, down to the TV being old.

essnce629
12-03-2011, 05:03 AM
I'd love a tv in my bathroom over our jacuzzi tub! Lots of times when I take a bath I bring a chair in there and put the laptop on it next to the tub so I can watch my shows on Hulu! An actual tv installed on the wall would be so much easier.

Lots of large master suites have open bathrooms with separate toilet areas (my grandma's bathroom is like that) and I'd have no issue with a little coffee station being set up in there. Especially if you have a 2 story house and when you wake up you stay upstairs getting ready till it's time to go. A lot of coffee makers can be programmed so your coffee is ready when you wake up. If you normally stay upstairs to get ready and don't go downstairs till it you're going out the door, it makes sense to have your coffee maker upstairs if you like to drink coffee every morning.

I'm not a coffee drinker so it's not something I would personally want though. I also don't think of the bathroom as being super germy and have no problem bringing a cup of tea in there while I get ready or take a bath. Yes you poop and pee in there, but as long as you close the lid to the toilet before you flush you shouldn't have fecal germs all over every surface. Our bathroom gets a thorough cleaning once a week so it never seems dirty to me. Don't kitchens have more germs than bathrooms?

JTsMom
12-03-2011, 08:14 AM
My master bath is large enough that I could probably put a little coffee station far enough away from the other stuff that it wouldn't be unsanitary or anything, but it still skeeves me out. I would love to have one in the bedroom though!

I'd pass on the TV- I don't watch it during the day typically. I can see how someone who is a morning news junkie would like it though.