PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone's holiday spending limit for each kid?

ChefGirl
12-02-2011, 11:41 AM
I have spent roughly $300 on three kids, excluding the Amex points that we used to get the family/DS1's Ipad2. Just curious. I'm kind of on a budget. Of the $300 I spent, I'm sure a few of the items will be from grandparents since we typically shop for them for the kids. So, the $300 may go down a bit considering gifts from us.

Anyway, just curious. (not sure how to do the polls...)

chozen
12-02-2011, 11:46 AM
we try to stay around $100.00 each, this yr. i think i went alittle over.:p

Kymberley
12-02-2011, 11:52 AM
I have kept my budget under $100. DH has his own budget for DS, because he and FIL are going in together on a big ticket item to be used at FIL's house. Even then, we shouldn't go over $250. I really, really could spend a lot more, but for the first time EVER, I'm practicing restraint. DS doesn't NEED anything, and I have to keep telling myself that when I see something cool that I want him to have. But, I have several cousins to buy for, and they are all going to be less than $20 each if I can help it.

sarahsthreads
12-02-2011, 12:01 PM
I spent about $120 on each kid, including what they're asking Santa for, and the stockings. Honestly, it's a little higher than I planned (I try to keep it around $100 per kid) because DH picked out Wii games for each girl, and since it was the first time he's really taken an interest in helping me decide what to buy for them I couldn't say no. ;)

That's four family gifts (want/need/wear/read) and one Santa gift per child, plus a few tiny stocking stuffers. I'm always a bit shocked at how quickly it adds up, especially since I'm making half of their gifts this year.

Sarah :)

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Well since both my parents are deceased, and I am an only child and since my FIL sends TWO DOLLARS and my MIL, MAYBE $50 and my BIL has in almost 5 years sent one B-day or Xmas gift, we spend more. My Aunt and cousin and a few friends send her something. But I feel bad for her.

Can you tell I am bitter? :ROTFLMAO:

gatorsmom
12-02-2011, 12:22 PM
I spent very close to $120 per kid. That turned out to be 3 nice gifts per kid. Except for sisi. She got 3 princess dresses and 2 Disney princess DVDs. I spent more on her because the boys will enjoy those movies as much as she will.

I've limited their gifts because for the past 3 years it has really gotten beyond absurd how many packages are under our tree. With all the relatives buying for them, I've been trying hard to only get them one or two things I know they would really want.

firstbaby
12-02-2011, 12:31 PM
For the older two, I'm coming in around $200 each for stuff from us and the big guy, plus stockings. In years past, it has been around $100-125 each. They are getting 1 thing from Santa and two things from us, but with them getting a little older it adds up fast. Contrast this to the baby that we got 3 things for but spent a total of $40 for including stocking (thanks Kmart clearance sale over the summer!). I got great deals on everything overall and I'm looking forward to Christmas morning.

I have to fess up, too, that whether they got nothing else from other relatives or the presents they do get from family, I would probably still buy about the same. If I could spend less and give them 1 to 2 things that they really wanted, I would do it. It isn't about getting to a certain dollar amount but I love the look on their faces when they open something they had really been hoping for. I do wish our parents (my IL's especially) would scale back on how much they give. They spend to a certain dollar amount and it just can be too much, though I do appreciate their generosity.

kboyle
12-02-2011, 12:37 PM
dh says we generally spend about $700 on xmas, so it ends up being a teeny bit over $200/kid.

roseyloxs
12-02-2011, 12:55 PM
I have no idea. I haven't paid attention but I haven't bought any BIG gifts so I am guessing its on the low end.

JoyNChrist
12-02-2011, 01:05 PM
My max budget is $200 per kid, but I'm really trying to keep it around $120-150.

meggswife
12-02-2011, 01:27 PM
We spend $50 per child in gifts, around $7 per child for stocking stuff, and $10 per child for their "secret sibling" gift, (they exchange names and buy one sibling a gift). We have nine children, so it adds up! :)

Melaine
12-02-2011, 01:28 PM
I also have no idea, it would be a good idea to tally it up.

scrooks
12-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Im keeping track this year and i have unfortunately gone over board...its around $300 per kid!:47:

BabyBearsMom
12-02-2011, 01:38 PM
We only have 1 kiddo, so I think we go a little more overboard. I think we have spent between $250 and $300 on DD. Granted some of these are things she needs (a potty chair for example) but most of it is toys and fun stuff. We generally try not to buy DD a lot of toys during the year (just books) so we only really do toys during Christmas and Birthday...although sometimes I break that rule.

ETA: We but for Christmas and Hannukka, and we don't want one holiday to seem "lamer" than the other to DD. So I we end up spending a bit more so she has a big gift at each event.

stefani
12-02-2011, 01:40 PM
I usually stay below $50 for DS for Christmas gift(s). For his birthday I tend to go higher, but it just depends on what he wants / needs.

Rainbows&Roses
12-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Im keeping track this year and i have unfortunately gone over board...its around $300 per kid!:47:

This polll seems to come up every year and I think I recall people saying the same thing...that once they started keeping track, the realized they spent a lot more than they used to estimate they did.

Binkandabee
12-02-2011, 01:41 PM
I spend right around $200.00 per kid. I am not the type of person that buys things for my girls throughout the year, so I go all out for Christmas and their birthdays.

ETA: I totally agree with PP....I bet most of us spend WAY more than we think we do. I just ordered some piggy paint for stockings and that alone was $40.00 for two sets...one for each DD.

maestramommy
12-02-2011, 01:44 PM
We're usually at $10-50 per kid. One year though, I think we spent more on Dora when Amazon was having that crazy sale on their M&D dollhouse that came with everything.

This year I think we're at about $20+ per kid. It's hard to gauge. Laurel's one gift costs $20 (as long as it's still there by the time I get back to the store!), Dora and Arwyn's gifts are about $10. Then each kid gets some stocking stuffers that will amount to $10 or less. Our parameters are somewhat about the money, but also about the number (one main gift per kid).

ETA: Oh wait, we broke with tradition this year and are including a couple of needs. Dora needs a new color leotard for ballet, and both girls needed pink tights, so Dora's stocking will be closer to $20. And I have a sneaking hunch Laurel needs more fleece footed jammies, so however much that costs. It'll go into her stockings as well.

Simon
12-02-2011, 01:46 PM
I think we'll end up over $50 for Ds1, just because he wants a snowboarding helmet and that alone will be at least $40 since I couldnt' find one 2nd hand.

Ds2 I will probably spend $20-30, largely because I have been collecting toys for him over the year and have lots to pull out of storage.

katydid1971
12-02-2011, 01:46 PM
I honestly don't budget, I buy all year long and then bring out the good buys at Christmas. They amounts spent aren't even but its ok because I think it all comes out in the wash.

vonfirmath
12-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Well since both my parents are deceased, and I am an only child and since my FIL sends TWO DOLLARS and my MIL, MAYBE $50 and my BIL has in almost 5 years sent one B-day or Xmas gift, we spend more. My Aunt and cousin and a few friends send her something. But I feel bad for her.

Can you tell I am bitter? :ROTFLMAO:

Growing up, one set of Grandparents sent a $2 bill every holiday
The other set of grandparents sent a check for $15.

No one else exchanged gifts on a regular basis

Neither then nor now do I feel shortchanged or like they did not care. My parents put the $2 bill away and gave us $2 to spend. I've got that set of $2 bills to this day and it is very special to look through them and remember.

megs4413
12-02-2011, 02:03 PM
this is the least i've ever spent and i'm super proud of myself! I think we're around $150 for DS and $200 for DD. i guess there's still time for me to screw it up, but i'm thrilled that as long as i behave, i'm already done shopping for them!

icunurse
12-02-2011, 02:04 PM
I write down everything as I buy it, including price, and label it on paper as to who is giving it and when. I also buy gifts from my parents, using their set monetary amount, as it is hard for them to get out to stores to shop. Typically, we run about $150/kid, this year is closer to $200. We don't buy/give gifts during the rest of the year except for birthdays and the rare DVD, so Christmas is our time to give them something nice. We've also had some bad years recently and just want a fun Christmas. I have had a Christmas Club account through work for several years, but typically don't have to touch it (knock on wood).

DD is getting the Barbie Dream House - $139 including tax, car with Barbie - $15.xx, and Ken doll - $5. From DS she is getting 2 other dolls - $10 and the pool- $10. From Santa she is getting a Lalaloopsy soft doll - $15, Barbie DVD - $5, and candy.

DS is harder to shop for, but he's getting a Lego set that I found discounted over the summer ($23), a remote control helicopter ($20), DS game ($25), Hot Wheels set ($35) and a bike ($40). From DD, he is getting some Knex ($30). Santa is bringing some DVD's, a skate board ($12), and candy.

ETA - above mentioned spending from my parents is $100 for each child. My in-laws are, forgive me, cheap and useless when it comes to gifts (as in they've been given saved Happy Meal toys or $5 bills). So thoughtful, wanted gifts come from us or my parents.

lizzywednesday
12-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Well, last year I think that I spent about $200 on DD while DH spent around $100.

This year, I've spent $44 on presents that will go to her for Christmas and still want to spend a bit on a "big" gift "From" Santa.

I'm not sure what my spend-cap will be, but it should be lower than last year.

Cam&Clay
12-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Oh, dear. You forced me to do the math. I knew we were going all out this year b/c DH is away. When I combine what DH has spent and sent here via Amazon along with what I have, it's way more than you all are talking about. When you add in the extras for DS2's birthday which is 3 days after Christmas, it's bag over the head worthy. :bag

mommyp
12-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Once I add in stocking stuffers etc., it'll probably be around $125-150 for DD. We won't be spending that much on DS since he'll be 3 months old, but we'll be doing stuff for his new bedroom so I'll count that!

roseyloxs
12-02-2011, 02:17 PM
This polll seems to come up every year and I think I recall people saying the same thing...that once they started keeping track, the realized they spent a lot more than they used to estimate they did.

I got curious so I added it up and I am at $75 a kid. They are spoiled by the rest of our family so I think we are good.

Melaine
12-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Oh, dear. You forced me to do the math. I knew we were going all out this year b/c DH is away. When I combine what DH has spent and sent here via Amazon along with what I have, it's way more than you all are talking about. When you add in the extras for DS2's birthday which is 3 days after Christmas, it's bag over the head worthy. :bag

I think if you can even DO the math in the length of time since this thread was started, then you are doing better than me. Double-bag head on myself....:bag:bag

JoyNChrist
12-02-2011, 02:41 PM

Dude, don't feel bad. I'd be right there with you if I weren't purposefully limiting myself this year. Last year, I spent in the four-figure range on the kids alone (that's not counting gifts for other relatives, teachers, etc), and the twins were only 4 months old.

GaPeach_in_Ca
12-02-2011, 02:53 PM
I spent about $300 each on the kids and DH. Everyone is getting 6 gifts, plus the stocking.

I have a spreadsheet, so I can give the exact breakdown. I don't feel excessive at all. It's funny, I belong to another board (gymbofriends) and people spend way more over there. I'm very restrained compared to that board and on the excessive side compared to this board.

My kids will be getting a $30-$40 present from my parents (I offered to purchase their selection this year since they will be flying and it will be easier, so I know what it is), and then 3 gifts from their aunts, probably in $20 range. My ILs, I'm not sure. Sometimes they do gifts, sometimes not. Doesn't matter either way. Christmas is not a traditional holiday for them.

ZeeBaby
12-02-2011, 03:00 PM
I usually spend about $50-100 per kid and plan to do so again this year, but I am really feeling like the kids don't need anything this year. I was planning to get a dollhouse, but they are still playing with the kitchen daily and Don't want to be wasteful.

KrisM
12-02-2011, 03:09 PM
You guys are great!

For those who shop all year, do you add those costs in or are you only including what you are spending now? I count them in my totals.

I've spent between $200 and $300 on each kid. It just seems to add up quickly. DS1 isn't even getting anything too pricey, but is getting a few board games, Beyblades, and Spy Gear and it still adds up to over $100!

They're all getting beanbags, which were $99 each, so that helps get the totals up quite a bit.

Melaine
12-02-2011, 03:11 PM
I shop all year, in fact usually most of the shopping is way before November. That's why I have no idea how much I have spent and don't really have a limit because it's just a little here and there. Which is both a good thing and a bad thing.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Growing up, one set of Grandparents sent a $2 bill every holiday
The other set of grandparents sent a check for $15.

No one else exchanged gifts on a regular basis

Neither then nor now do I feel shortchanged or like they did not care. My parents put the $2 bill away and gave us $2 to spend. I've got that set of $2 bills to this day and it is very special to look through them and remember.

The issue is far beyond gifts. We have lived here for 8 years and my FIL has not visited us once, and he refuses to, we even offered to pay. His health is fine, and he can afford to. He refuses to call us or visit his only grandchild. She will feel he doesn't care, because he doesn't. My MIL comes every few years despite DD begging her crying on the phone to visit. She can afford to come, too. The gifts aren't the real issue, but they are a reminder. The money isn't the issue.

I am not greedy and hope my post didn't come across as being greedy. My BIL came to see DD once, and calls a few times a year to complain to us about his life. Really My IL's are a depressing bunch and that makes me sad that my parents who were wonderful will not get to be a part of her life.

TwinFoxes
12-02-2011, 03:28 PM
I shop all year, in fact usually most of the shopping is way before November. That's why I have no idea how much I have spent and don't really have a limit because it's just a little here and there. Which is both a good thing and a bad thing.

Same here. Like the $80 doll house I got for $18 from Garnet Hill's after Christmas sale last year. I also picked up some brand new books and games at our mother's of multiples sales. So I'm not quite sure how much I spend. I like shopping. :) I sometimes want to offer my shopping services to the non-shoppers in my family!

Jai
12-02-2011, 04:10 PM
I keep track of what I am spending using Excel. I keep two columns--how much I actually spent (using coupons, credits, etc) and what the item sales for at regular price. This year, including stocking stuffers, I will spend about $175. The actual value is closer to $300. Last year, I spent $223 but the value was about $330. DS's first Christmas (in 2009), I spent about $85, but I got almost everything at Target's 75% off toy clearance in July.

ett
12-02-2011, 04:26 PM

:yeahthat: But I usually end up with too much stuff and end up donating some of it too. I am really trying to restrain myself from picking up more toys because they're good deals.

ett
12-02-2011, 04:30 PM
I like shopping. :) I sometimes want to offer my shopping services to the non-shoppers in my family!

My mother shops from my gift closet for her friend's kids!

g-mama
12-02-2011, 04:31 PM
I'd say we spend between $200-300 per kid.

My kids get very little, though, from extended family, either for Christmas or for their birthdays. My mom passed away nine years ago, my dad forgets birthdays and some years on Christmas, he gives us some money on Christmas Day, other years he doesn't. Dh's family sometimes gives gifts, sometimes doesn't. MIL usually does not. SILs typically do something small on Christmas but not on birthdays. We see family a lot and enjoy getting together with them immensely. I don't know why gift giving is so hit or miss with them. I think I might be bitter if we didn't enjoy the time we spend with them all so much. Looking at the bright side! :)

It's also hard to say because having three boys, it's getting easier and easier to buy gifts that all three play with and enjoy equally, like Wii games and DS games that they all share, an indoor basketball game for the basement, a karaoke machine...things like that. They are really family gifts that even dh and I use.

sste
12-02-2011, 04:44 PM
I would say $50-100 *but* it depends on whether there is some sort of kid vehicle or instrument in the mix. For example, if we buy DS a bike for the holidays then we would easily spend over $200 because we wouldn't just give him the bike.

I am aiming for a $75 cap and spreading out some gifts like the bike closer to spring when he can use it. DS celebrates his bday in November and between that and hannukkah/xmas there is just a silly amount of toys coming into our house.

AlbrightRC
12-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Considering one gift this year was $100 and each set of grandparents spend at least that much our budget is considerable larger. Actually I don't think we have ever set a budget we just buy what we want him to have or what we think he would like. Spoiled only child ...perhaps but when he gives that huge hug and says mommy i love all my toys its priceless.

kijip
12-02-2011, 05:14 PM
I have spent so far $137 on F and $140 on T. Actual cash out the door is less because that includes what I got with REI rebate, rewards points, lego credits and other "free money". Actual cash out the door is more like $90? I have to My goal was under $200 each so I think I have succeeded at that. Those are exact figures. Most people underestimate their spending unless they are tracking each purchase. However, those numbers are for the gifts only, not stockings and not Ts coat which is a big need. Once stockings and needs and odds and ends are added in, I would reckon we will land close to $200 each.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-02-2011, 05:16 PM
i honestly have no idea. i voted other bc it's definitely more for DS than DD. for DD, it's barely anything because she'll only be 9mos old, and plus we already have a ton of stuff (FP learning home, Potsy, FP Ball popper) in the house that DS got last Christmas.

it's probably gonna be something like $50 for DD (FP my first purse, a few teethers, and the luv u zoo piano), and then $200+ for DS (train table, thomas trains, some art stuff). i should really tally it up. it's hard bc DS' birthday is 2 wks after Christmas so we genrally buy a ton of stuff and then split it up to give him for his birthday and xmas.

also, i got over $1500 worth of Thomas stuff (trains, accessories, tracks) second hand from CL, but only paid like $250. i don't plan to give it all to him right away, but plan to hand it out for xmas, birthday and then as potty training rewards.

LMPC
12-02-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm gonna guess around $250 this year, but DD is probably getting a bike, so that takes it up a bit. I don't keep track that much, but try not to be excessive. She's only asked for a guitar and some mustard so far. We'll see...

daisymommy
12-02-2011, 07:44 PM
$125-$150 per child and adult.

Jacksmommy2b
12-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Man, you guys always make me feel so much better!

This year I'm sticking with a budget of about $200 per kid. They are each getting $100 worth of stuff for themselves and the remaining $100 goes into a joint gift for the both of them. This year they're getting a two seater powerwheels.

My mother made a comment along the lines of 'appreciating how budget conscious' I can be. So basically she was calling me out on being cheap for xmas. (and yes, I'm sure that was what she meant!)

DH is just awful when it comes to xmas. He isn't happy unless it looks like the toy store exploded in our living room. It is a battle each and every year to try to reign him in when it comes to presents for the kids, which is really cute - but lord it drives me crazy. I refuse to buy stacks of stuff because he thinks the pile isn't big enough!

Jacksmommy2b
12-02-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm gonna guess around $250 this year, but DD is probably getting a bike, so that takes it up a bit. I don't keep track that much, but try not to be excessive. She's only asked for a guitar and some mustard so far. We'll see...

Okay, I'll bite...

Why in the world is she asking for mustard?

indigo99
12-02-2011, 07:57 PM
I don't exactly have a budget/limit. My boys have birthdays in the fall, and I barely spent anything on DS then because I had things already purchased from last Christmas. This is really my one big shopping time for the next year since you can get some of the best deals. For instance, I just bought a water/sand table and balance bike, but they're really for next summer so...

Should I only count things that he will be playing with immediately? If so, that's only a few books so far.

shawnandangel
12-02-2011, 08:34 PM
I spend between 100-200 on DD.
My nieces and nephews are $20-25 ea
Parents 50-100 ea
Grandparents 50 ea
Siblings - 50-100 ea
Dh - whatever he asks for. This year he wants a Kindle touch. I'll get him that and a few other clothing items and then some CD's for his stocking.

Me: Nothing this year. We are on a budget b/c my tuition went up at school and I'd rather go without than not get gifts for the nieces/nephews. Plus I love buying and giving gifts. That's the fun part for me. Receiving is nice as well, but it's not what makes Christmas. :)

clc053103
12-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Making an observation....the largest group in the poll is $200 and up. However, not many posters in that category!

BayGirl2
12-02-2011, 09:20 PM
I selected other. Probably sounds bad, but I didn't set a limit this year. I'm having enough trouble finding things my kids need or baby things we don't already have. I've spent way more $$$ on things for myself than anyone else, that is more of an issue. So far I've spent about $75 on DS for a lot of little things and I may not even give him all of them. I have like one thing for DD, maybe one more, and those will be less than $50.

wifecat
12-02-2011, 09:51 PM
So I think ideally I like the $100-$200 range, but I need to figure out exactly how much I will have spent. I know exactly how much each item costs (I keep a spreadsheet) but then I'll decide what's going under the tree. Like I bought Magnatiles last Aug. and they were going to be used as a quiet gift while at a great-grandparents' house, but I didn't need them, so they were saved for xmas, but now I'm not sure I'm giving them now either. My gift closet ends up well stocked for the year at this time of year, but I'm never quite sure when I'll give different items.

And we also give stuff that could have just shown up in a drawer - like sleepsacks for ds or socks, but they're more fun when wrapped. I like a really nice big pile of presents... :yay:

sweetsue98
12-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Making an observation....the largest group in the poll is $200 and up. However, not many posters in that category!

Probably because we feel guilty! :rotflmao: We spend about $250-300 per child. DSS is almost 12 and $250 just doesn't seeem to get much these days. I'm also not a good bargain hunter. We just got him a kindle fire so that was quite spendy. DD is getting one big gift and a couple of little ones and that's about it.

vludmilla
12-02-2011, 10:28 PM
I don't have a budget exactly. I've spent more in the past when there were things I wanted her to have (puzzles, books, legos). This year I couldn't think of anything she needed and she only asked for fuse beads so she is getting less but we did buy an Xbox kinect, our first video game system of any kind so that pushes up the amount. Separate from that, I'll probably spend $100 or so but some of that will be books, cute socks, phonics games...not regular toys.

niccig
12-02-2011, 11:36 PM
I'll say it'll be $200. DH is going to get a few things for DS's stocking and DH loves Christmas shopping. He has one big lego set and then another 2 smaller things. It's also his birthday, aso we have birthday presents as well.

wifecat
12-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Ok, I'm feeling so much better. I added up the gifts we plan to give for Christmas and we spent about $70 on each kid for Christmas. We spent about $20 on stockings, so still less than $100 for each! I'm feeling pretty good. They each have 4 presents from us, 1 each from Santa...yay bargain board. The retail for their presents was about $300 and their stockings would have been about $40ea retail...whoohooo!

larig
12-03-2011, 12:38 AM
This is the first year that DS really gets xmas, and he's getting a super huge santa present. Part of that gift we will set aside until his birthday (it's a thomas set with a toy box--the toy box will be bday). The component parts that make up the set would be a fortune separately, and it includes an $80 destination we'd have purchased for his anyway, and I got it at costco (so it was much cheaper at $340 than retail) and I used my executive member cash back! From us he's getting PJs, a few books, stuffed animal and maybe some nice glitter paint. DH and I are pretty excited about having a big xmas this year. He's the only one we're going to have, so we know we are likely more indulgent than most. In the last two years, xmas wasn't a big deal, so we didn't spend very much on gifts for him at all. He's also my parents' only grandchild, so he'll probably clean up at grams' & papaw's.

mum-to-be
12-03-2011, 02:08 AM

I'm the same. I don't really consider how much I am spending, but just whether the item is going to be good value for the money I am spending, i.e. will they get a lot of use from it or is it a highly desirable item for them. Last year Santa and I spent a total of $10 on DD and $100 on DS. This year DD's total so far is $135 and DS's is $65, but I did pick up some great deals for him throughout the year. It was unintentionally pretty even until I ordered DD a strider bike. I do try to keep it even in terms of how many and how big the gifts are, just so DS doesn't get hurt feelings or feel sad for his little sister.

wimama
12-03-2011, 01:44 PM

I will fess up. I actually keep good track of how much I spend. DS's total is close to $300, and DD is close to $150. But that includes everything including need presents. So, that includes a temporal ear thermometer for the baby, hair bows, socks, jammies, underwear, slipper socks, a winter hat, a playmat/storage for Star Wars figures (to help keep them away from teh baby:wink2:), books, DVDs, stocking stuffers and about $15 of special natural candy for DS (due to his dietary sensitivities). The total also includes what I spent on items I bought on sale a year ago, and pulled from the gift stockpile. The totals are not all toys and I am done shopping so it includes everything.

I justify that in because we don't buy the kids much except on birthdays or holidays and the only other presents they get are from my parents. We didn't even throw DS a birthday party this year, since his birthday came right before our Disney trip. So, we haven't had many fun toys or presents come into this house since last Christmas. The kids get 3 presents from Santa and 3 from us. Since I had to come up with 6 gifts for the baby, I splurged on some replacements for DS old baby toys like a baby walker toy that doesn't tip over when they use it and a few greener baby toys.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-03-2011, 02:54 PM
If you are Pintrest you can make a board! It's fun ann you can SEE what you have. Plus you can write the price you paid, keeps it organized...

Here is mine.I am moving stuff from Festivus to the Gift Closet board all the time....:D
http://pinterest.com/flagstaffmama/festivus/

wifecat
12-03-2011, 04:34 PM
If you are Pintrest you can make a board! It's fun ann you can SEE what you have. Plus you can write the price you paid, keeps it organized...

Here is mine.I am moving stuff from Festivus to the Gift Closet board all the time....:D

That's a great idea! How'd you get the prices across the corners like that?

Melaine
12-03-2011, 06:29 PM

Oh my GOSH! I know what I am doing tonight....making my Christmas gift Pinterest board!!!! That's my kind of Saturday night fun!!!:applause:

Melaine
12-03-2011, 06:31 PM
That's a great idea! How'd you get the prices across the corners like that?

How to add a price to a pin (http://pinterest.com/about/help/#) To add a price to a pin, type the $ or £ symbol followed by the number amount in the description. When you are finished, click Pin It

I found this....I am SOOOO excited to do this tonight! I'm going to turn on a holiday movie and pin the gifts and start wrapping stuff!

citymama
12-03-2011, 07:15 PM
About $100 per kid? But if you include new clothes/shoes bought for the holidays, it's more like $150-200.

larig
12-03-2011, 07:35 PM

cool. and thanks for the tip about the prices! I had no idea.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Like Melanie said! So I write a description, than add $X It automatically puts the price as a banner. And I do my gift closet, too. I used to do spreadsheets, but I like the visual of SEEING what I have, KWIM? Thanks for the praise ladies! :hug: It is fun, easy and it can be accessed anywhere. Only a BBB mama can make Pintrest a virtual shopping tool!

sariana
12-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Um, I'm supposed to have a spending limit?

I voted other.

DH said I should make sure to spend equal amounts of money on each child, but I think that's silly. They don't care how much something cost, only that they have the same number of gifts. I just try to have things "match up" (i.e. when DS opens clothing, DD does too--or both open a toy, or a book, or a DVD).

kozachka
12-04-2011, 01:48 AM
I voted $50-$100 per child but probably should have voted Other. I feel like a scrooge but we barely spent $50 (if that) on DS New Year gifts last year. He got a Spy Science Money Safe (http://www.sciencestoreforthestars.com/4m-alarmed-safe-money-bank.aspx)from Santa/Amazon and a medium size Lego set from Mom and Dad. Safe retails for $19.99 and must have been at least couple bucks cheaper than that from Amazon, and Lego set was probably $20-$30. DS truly did not need anything after his birthday at the end of November.

I am guessing that my total is low because we do not count any necessary items as gifts, e.g. clothes or toothbrushes, and we spend quite a bit on experiences. We went to San Diego for the winter break so DH and DS went out for a day fishing on a party boat ($70-$80 each plus cost of food) and of course we went to Legoland (had to buy adult ticket for the full price of $69 to get DS in for free with a coupon, then extended it for another day and got DH to take DS for another half a day). In my mind it was a family vacation, and not a holiday gift to DS, but we would not have gone to Legoland if it were not for DS, but somehow it does not seem fair to attribute the whole cost to DS' gift.

This year DS is visiting MIL in FL, and since she sent me a check for his airplane tickets, it would not cost us anything. Still trying to decide what to give DS for the holidays besides the crystal growing kit from Costco. The only thing he wants Santa to bring him is a gold coin, preferably an ancient one. And has asked us for something "at least silver". U-g-g-h-h-h... His Pokemon stage (the one he had before coins/precious metals) seems so cheap/easy in comparison now.

DietCokeLover
12-04-2011, 10:51 AM
How to add a price to a pin (http://pinterest.com/about/help/#) To add a price to a pin, type the $ or £ symbol followed by the number amount in the description. When you are finished, click Pin It

I found this....I am SOOOO excited to do this tonight! I'm going to turn on a holiday movie and pin the gifts and start wrapping stuff!

:rotflmao: couldn't sleep last night and saw your pins and couldn't for the life of me figure out where you were getting those prices from! I was clicking links hoping for fabulous bargains and it was definitely NOT as you posted!

BeachBum
12-04-2011, 11:02 AM
I didn't even have a pintrest account, but I LOVE your board so much I signed up and made a christmas gift board. What a great easy way to keep up with everything!

giavila
12-04-2011, 01:13 PM
I usually spend $125-150 per kid including stockings, but this year I'm shooting for $75 total. Everyone in the family (my inlaws, 4 sets of aunt and uncles, my parents who are divorced so they get separate gifts from them) ALL shop from their Amazon Wishlists so they get every thing that they want and not a lot of random things that they don't need. Every year I feel like they get so much so I'm trying to cut back this year.

Melaine
12-04-2011, 01:15 PM
:rotflmao: couldn't sleep last night and saw your pins and couldn't for the life of me figure out where you were getting those prices from! I was clicking links hoping for fabulous bargains and it was definitely NOT as you posted!

I'm sorry....I'm posting the prices I paid using deals, vouchers, clearance etc. Random strangers are commenting in disgust...but I just wanted to keep track of what I paid for my own records!

I have never really browsed other people's pins so I didn't expect people to notice!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-04-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm sorry....I'm posting the prices I paid using deals, vouchers, clearance etc. Random strangers are commenting in disgust...but I just wanted to keep track of what I paid for my own records!

I have never really browsed other people's pins so I didn't expect people to notice!

:yeahthat: People commenting in disgust? Haters! We are bargain hunters, they are bargain haters!:rotflmao:

clc053103
12-04-2011, 02:28 PM
:yeahthat: People commenting in disgust? Haters! We are bargain hunters, they are bargain haters!:rotflmao:

Seriously funny....they are simply jealous of your savvy shopping.

I will fess up, having only 1 child,this year his gifts will total about $500, and this year I reeled it in quite a bit.

I am off to figure out how to interest!

Melaine
12-04-2011, 07:04 PM

Exactly! I mean, I do my best to share deals, and people only pay attention when they see the awesome stuff I get, by then the deal is over!

SnuggleBuggles
12-04-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm going cheap this year. They get more than enough gifts from family that we really don't need all the stuff I usually buy. I'm considering a trip instead. I got ds1 on board with that idea, which was only a little challenge. I'll still spend about $100/ kid on gifts.

Beth

veronica
12-04-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm probably at $250 per older child and $25 per twin. DH and I do got $15 sonicare toothbrushes on a black friday deal and my mom is buying us new towels, and we do not exchange anything else with eachother. We have fun with the kids' items!

veronica
12-04-2011, 07:50 PM

I'm not on pinterest but I know you very well and your love of "the hunt". I love your deals and if I was on pinterest , I could likely recall the date, store and promotion going on when you bought your stuff;). $100 bucks in this house didn't just buy me a leappad; it bought me a leappad and 4 games!

elephantmeg
12-04-2011, 09:53 PM
we aim for $100, I think we are at 125+ by now though. This happens every year! Sigh.

JElaineB
12-04-2011, 09:56 PM
I just added it up and I'm at $267 for DS. Good thing he's an only! DH may get him one more thing that's $25. So with stocking stuffers we'll be at $300 at least.

MelissaTC
12-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Another one at $300, not including stocking stuffers. We usually spend between $300-$500.