PDA

View Full Version : Too weird of a name?

flashy09
12-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Is Maple too weird to give to a girl? I actually really like it but worry about people's reactions. I love nature names and grew up on a street lined by Maples.

scrooks
12-02-2011, 01:33 PM
I think its a bit odd but lots of people choose unique names nowadays....what about Mabel instead?

kara97210
12-02-2011, 01:37 PM
I like the idea of it a lot, but think most people will hear it as Mabel. I say this as someone who always has to repeat my first name.

flashy09
12-02-2011, 01:37 PM
I think its a bit odd but lots of people choose unique names nowadays....what about Mabel instead?

Mabel doesn't really do it for me, no associations with it and it sounds a little "old" to me.

lowrioh
12-02-2011, 01:38 PM
but think most people will hear it as Mabel. I say this as someone who always has to repeat my first name.

:yeahthat:

momof2girls
12-02-2011, 01:39 PM
My first though was syrup. Not loving it, but not as out there as other names I have heard.

infocrazy
12-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Not my style, but I am a traditional name person.

I just see her future as saying, My name is Maple, yes like the syrup.

american_mama
12-02-2011, 01:45 PM
I am 50/50 on it. When I first read it, I read it correctly but thought it *was* already a girl name. Then after a minute, I realized I was reading Maple but thinking the familiar Mabel (which I like). My DH and I went through something similar while briefly considering Coral (which I felt was a name in the past, but I am probably just confusing with Cora).

I don't know when names that are also words/objects sound right and when they don't. DS has a boy named Cash in his class, and I love it. I think it helps when the word rhyme with familiar names (as Maple with Mabel) or when they are familiar last names (Walker, for instance). But I confess, Maple sounds a lot just like maple to me. I don't know. Maybe I'm leaning against now, like 65/35.

DietCokeLover
12-02-2011, 01:45 PM

MMMommy
12-02-2011, 01:46 PM
I agree with PP that a lot of people will mistakenly think her name is Mabel. I do think of syrup when I hear the name Maple.

ett
12-02-2011, 01:47 PM

:yeahthat: or being called Mabel.

Simon
12-02-2011, 01:48 PM
I wouldn't use it for a first name, we'd more likely use it as a middle name based on our family naming style. But, I wouldn't wrinkle my nose at it if I heard it.

That said, like the pp noted, you need to be prepared for people to hear the name as Mabel and to get it wrong, a lot!

katydid1971
12-02-2011, 01:49 PM

:yeahthat: I can also see her being teased on the playground about it.

MamaMolly
12-02-2011, 01:50 PM

I agree. I think there are a lot of nice nature based names that don't have such a ...flakey vibe. I don't want to sound harsh or nasty, so I'm sorry if it comes across that way. What about Rose, Ivy, Lilly, Flora or even Fern?

Green_Tea
12-02-2011, 01:51 PM
I met a Maple over the summer (she was 3 years old.) My reaction at the time was that the name was a bit silly. I would be worried about it affecting her professionally as an adult.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

TwinFoxes
12-02-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm not a fan. Not because it's an unpleasant name, but you are really condemning her to a life of spelling her name constantly, having her name misspelled "Mabel" or worse perhaps "Mable" often even if she spells it out, and having to correct people. And heaven forbid she should be even slightly pudgy, that would be too cruel, imagine the playground. How about as a middle name?

ETA: it's also kind of along the lines of Gwyneth Paltrow's "Apple". It sounds like the name a child would give a pet. Not unpleasant, but "huh?"

almostmom
12-02-2011, 01:54 PM
I really liked it at first. Reading the responses, maybe a little less so, but I think it's sweet. But I also think Mabel is sweet, and it will get confused. For what it's worth, I love the name Apple too! And both my kids are named after plant associations, so I'm biased (though their names/nicknames are more typical, though not on the top 100 list...).

KLD313
12-02-2011, 02:08 PM
I met a Maple over the summer (she was 3 years old.) My reaction at the time was that the name was a bit silly. I would be worried about it affecting her professionally as an adult.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

That was my thought too.

maylips
12-02-2011, 02:46 PM
She could always reply "that's because I'm as sweet as syrup." :wink2:

I'm more traditional, but I've definitely heard worse.

daphne
12-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Would you use a nn? Mae/May would be cute.

lil_acorn
12-02-2011, 03:16 PM
I agree with PP that a lot of people will mistakenly think her name is Mabel. I do think of syrup when I hear the name Maple.

artvandalay
12-02-2011, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't saddle her with this name, sorry. How about going with a flower name instead?

Indianamom2
12-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Hmmm, well since you asked (otherwise I'd keep my mouth shut!) I think of "Maple" along the same lines as "Apple" for a name. It's not the weirdest or worst name I've ever heard by a long shot, but it wouldn't be on my list either.

I also agree that people will probably assume she said "Mabel" so that would get annoying over time.

Canna
12-02-2011, 03:21 PM
No, I don't care for it at all. It makes me think syrup, sugar, candy as much as the tree and thus has kind of a fluffy or even (sorry) potentially slutty vibe that I'd try to avoid.

I agree with the PPs that Mabel is a nicer name or some kind of less wacky nature referencing name. Maple is pretty close to naming your child Broccoli or Asparagus (Gus would be a cute nickname). I mean, yeah, it has a pretty sound, and it's an awesome vegetable, but that doesn't make it a good name.

marymoo86
12-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Other nature names:

Wren
Aspen
Rain
Pepper
Poppy
Posey

KpbS
12-02-2011, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't saddle her with this name, sorry. How about going with a flower name instead?

Lots and lots of great names from nature out there that are feminine and familiar. I would use it as a middle name if I really loved it.
How about
Aurora
Autumn
Dahlia
Iris
Ivy
Laurel
Sylvia

flashy09
12-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Other nature names:

Wren
Aspen
Rain
Pepper
Poppy
Posey

Is Pepper any more normal/accepted? I like that one too!Wren was my top choice for a long time because the day I found out I was pregnant a wren built a nest in my window and the day I found out the gender I happened to be there when the babies flew out. But I thought it didn't quite sound pretty enough and people would think Ren

almostmom
12-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Three more nature names I love:

Liana
Phoebe
Marah

infomama
12-02-2011, 03:57 PM
I like Wren. It's feminine and strong. I also like Lark.

HonoluluMom
12-02-2011, 04:18 PM
I personally don't care for Maple as a first name, but I agree with PP that if you really love it, you can use it as a middle name.

My test for first names was whether I could see it being the first name of a CEO of a Fortune 500 company.

marymoo86
12-02-2011, 04:24 PM
I like Wren. It's feminine and strong. I also like Lark.

Me too. Lark is DDs middle name.
:D

marymoo86
12-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Is Pepper any more normal/accepted? I like that one too!Wren was my top choice for a long time because the day I found out I was pregnant a wren built a nest in my window and the day I found out the gender I happened to be there when the babies flew out. But I thought it didn't quite sound pretty enough and people would think Ren

I think Wren is gorgeous! Love the connection too.

sste
12-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Didn't have time to read all the posts.

Maple sounds just as "old" to me as Mabel - - maybe because of the sound alike.

If you are feeling "Tree," how about Linden or Arden (don't think arden is a tree but it sounds nature-y to me).

JoyNChrist
12-02-2011, 04:53 PM
I don't like Maple at all. Love Wren though! One of the moms who comes to our LLL meetings has a 10yo daughter named Wren, and they get complimented on her name all the time.

maestramommy
12-02-2011, 05:05 PM

Or like the tree. We're surrounded by Maple trees here, and syrup of course. Still, I've heard weirder. Like Apple, Leaf, River. If Maple flows nicely with your last name (huge criteria in my book), why not?

ETA: just saw Wren. Now THAT is prophetic, with the nest and everything.

luckytwenty
12-02-2011, 05:07 PM
It immediately makes me think of syrup, which makes me think pancakes. I like the idea of trees, though. Maybe keep thinking on that theme and something better will crop up.

boolady
12-02-2011, 05:08 PM
I think Wren is gorgeous! Love the connection too.

I actually know a little girl named Wren (only one...no top 100 worries :)). I think it's a beautiful name.

hoodlims
12-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Not into Maple. If you don't like Mabel, maybe you like Maybelle?

Sometimes it's a spelling thing. To me, Maybelle is prettier than Maybel.

hoodlims
12-02-2011, 05:24 PM
My test for first names was whether I could see it being the first name of a CEO of a Fortune 500 company.

That is our test too. Sadly, I don't think my own name fits the bill, but my DD's does!

artvandalay
12-02-2011, 05:25 PM
ETA: just saw Wren. Now THAT is prophetic, with the nest and everything.

I like Wren as well! And love the story.

JBaxter
12-02-2011, 05:27 PM
I really like Wren. Maple my reaction is why would someone name their kid that.

SnuggleBuggles
12-02-2011, 05:30 PM
I really like Wren. Maple my reaction is why would someone name their kid that.

:yeahthat: I have to agree with that as well. My 1st reaction to Maple was that it was ok. Then I thought for 30 seconds and changed my mind. It was only ok because I thought Mable. Maple tree, maple syrup...too much room for taunting and puzzlement.

Beth

mom2binsd
12-02-2011, 05:59 PM
My friends just named their dog Maple, they are from Canada and live in the US which is why they chose that name.

I think I agree with others, it could be easily mistaken for Mabel....as I've never heard of Maple as a name.

Ceepa
12-02-2011, 06:02 PM
I like the idea of something natural, but everyone will think the name is Mabel.

wellyes
12-02-2011, 06:07 PM
I love Pepper! But it does make me think of the muscial "Annie" (was the name of one of the orphans). Most people probably don't remember that.
I like Maple, but you will get eye-rolls. I also think Apple is a lovely name.
Wren is nice.

My grandmother was Maybelle. She told me it was French for "my beauty" - that her parents were so struck with her when she was born that they spoke in tongues. Turns out their/her translation was not correct. It's just a different spelling of Mabel which is not at all French. But it's a lovely thought.

JBaxter
12-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Pepper --- I think of a dog.

flashy09
12-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks so much everyone for the honest replies. My mother thinks Maple is too much of a celebrity name and I just wasn't sure because I do like the sound of it and my elementary school was Maple and my street was Maple as our area was just full of huge maple trees. So I guess I think more of trees than syrup compared to the average person.

I am so thrilled with Wren's reception! It doesn't sound to0 masculine? I love it in writing, but when I say it I think it might be heard as Ren or Rin and I would always have to say like the bird. But I do love it.

Other choices are Cicely (family name for me) or Cecily (husband's family), Lilah, Violet, Lucy, and a longshot of Penelope (husband loves it, family name for me, we would call her Poppy or Nellie)

shawnandangel
12-02-2011, 06:24 PM
I *love* Wren! The story behind it is awesome. I'd go with that.

cindys
12-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Love Wren!

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...20, 5 & 3 :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

YouAreTheFocus
12-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Wren is awesome! And the story makes it ever cooler!

Green_Tea
12-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Other choices are Cicely (family name for me) or Cecily (husband's family), Lilah, Violet, Lucy, and a longshot of Penelope (husband loves it, family name for me, we would call her Poppy or Nellie)

I LOVE Violet and Penelope (nickname Penny).

mjs64
12-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Love Wren. Cecily is a favorite of mine too.

kara97210
12-02-2011, 06:39 PM
I *love* Wren! The story behind it is awesome. I'd go with that.

:yeahthat: Put me down as another person who loves Wren. I also really like Penelope with Poppy as a nickname and Violet. I think a lot depends on what goes with your last name - you have a lot of really great choices.

cono0507
12-02-2011, 07:37 PM
I'll be the contrary opinion and say I kind of like Maple. The more I think about it, actually, the more I like it.
But Wren is really great and love the story. Strong yet feminine name. Love it!

MamaMolly
12-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Love, love, love Wren. Violet Wren is TDF!!!!!!!! :heartbeat:

sariana
12-02-2011, 08:30 PM
I once knew a Wren. And Ren is a female character from an old Disney show, so not masculine at all in my mind. And I agree with PPs that it has an awesome story behind it!

If you like Pepper, why not consider it as a nickname for Penelope (which you also mentioned)? (And I do remember the character from Annie, as well as the book series about Five Little Peppers.

sntm
12-02-2011, 08:30 PM
"Cicely (family name for me) or Cecily (husband's family), Lilah, Violet, Lucy, and a longshot of Penelope "

I like both Cicely and Cecily, and Penelope. Lucy and Violet are pretty, though semi-popular. Lilah - personally, I don't like the spelling, though I love Lila. I know a little girl named Wren - definitely sounds feminine to me.

I agree with many of the PP about Maple - it's not the strangest I've heard and it has a nice ring to it, but sounds "invented." But, names are so personal - there are a lot of names I've hated hypothetically until I knew someone with that name.

babybell
12-02-2011, 09:06 PM
I always thought Wren was a boy's name. :shrug:

ABO Mama
12-02-2011, 09:26 PM
I actually do like the name.

Uno-Mom
12-02-2011, 09:39 PM
I honestly don't care for Wren, but that's clearly a minority opinion! It would fit a certain type of woman perfectly! But it would also be an.uncomfortable fit for many women. It's so hard when you can't predict temperament or personal style. Sigh.

I love Cecily! Sweet cecily is one of my favorite herbs.

Simon
12-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I know 2 little girls named Wren under 2yo and one little Violet.

I think you have an excellent story for using Wren and would love having that history behind my name.

TwinFoxes
12-02-2011, 09:56 PM

Add me as another "Wren" fan. I think it's gorgeous. Feminine and strong. I also like all of the above names you mention.

megs4413
12-02-2011, 10:09 PM
yes, i think it's too out there. but if you love it, who cares?

Pinky
12-02-2011, 10:18 PM
I like it but I must admit that when I read it I immediately thought in my head "Mable".

I love the name Willow.

momof2girls
12-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Hmmm, not loving Wren only because of Ren and Stimpy (don't judge, I was in college when that was on!) If it wasn't for that stupid show I would like Wren.
What about Willow? Daisy? Iris? Rayne?

maestramommy
12-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Know what I think of when I think of Wren? One of those old time Celtic princesses, or Muses. Mystical, ethereal, beautiful, but of timeless inner strength. hard to go wrong;)

scrooks
12-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Love Wren. Cecily is a favorite of mine too.

JoyNChrist
12-02-2011, 11:48 PM
Ooh, can I change my vote from Wren to Cecily? I love Wren, but I looooove Cecily. :)

meggswife
12-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Another vote for Wren. Beautiful name and meaningful story to go with it! :)

Tondi G
12-03-2011, 12:40 AM
I like Penelope Wren! With the nickname Poppy!

Liziz
12-03-2011, 01:00 AM
I'm not a big fan of Maple, but you have some great choices other than that one -- love them all (especially Penelope with a nickname of Poppy)! ...and if you're concerned Wren isn't feminine enough, I say you should still go with it, and just make sure you feel the middle name is more "girly".

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-03-2011, 01:09 AM
Pepper --- I think of a dog.

ummm hummm

american_mama
12-03-2011, 01:09 AM
I like Wren and think of it as feminine, but wasn't it also the male character in Footloose? Didn't a re-make of that just come out, so it might be on people's minds right now? But I doubt the association will last very long.

Supposedly, word/object names are the next great naming trend, but you'd be on the bleeding edge of it. There are celebrity children named Jett (Travolta), Knight (Kelis' son), Sailor (Christie Brinkley), Baron (Donald Trump), Deacon (Reese Witherspoon), Sparrow (Nicole Richie), and Denim (Toni Braxton). I can imagine in 10 years, Maple may not be common, but it will fit into a familiar genre just like now Jalen, Braden, Kylee, and Nevaeh all sound definitively like names to us, even if 15ish years ago, they would have been foreign. It's just a question of whether you want yourself (and your daughter) to be pioneers.

lisams
12-03-2011, 02:00 AM
Don't like Maple. How about Amber?

amldaley
12-03-2011, 08:31 AM
I like it. I don't think it is weird but I do think it is unusual and creative.

Then again, I am one of those people who refuses to use any name in the Top 100, and really the top 250. In the end, neither of my LO's names even ranked in the Top 1000.

I did not think syrup immediately. I thought of the lovely color a maple leaf turns in the fall and I thought of those little maple sugar candies.

amldaley
12-03-2011, 08:32 AM
I like Wren and think of it as feminine, but wasn't it also the male character in Footloose? Didn't a re-make of that just come out, so it might be on people's minds right now? But I doubt the association will last very long.

Wren as a male name is a nickname or shortend form of Lawrence.

I LOVE Wren as either a boy or girls name.

sunshine873
12-03-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm on the teeter-totter about Maple (like so many others have said - I think she'll spend a lifetime saying, no, not Mabel, Maple.)

But...
OMG, how can you not go with Wren after a story like that? It's a beautiful name on it's own, but with that background it's amazing & heartfelt. It seems like a greater power is trying to tell you something...

elephantmeg
12-03-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm afraid I have to vote weird too.

flashy09
12-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Thanks so much for all the replies!! I still like Maple although probably not brave enough to use it. I know people think syrup, but to me that is not the worst thing in the world - and I happen to love pancakes and maple syrup, lol! Maybe when I see her I will throw caution to the wind and give her the name though!

Wren is probably the front runner although I do go over in my head whether it's pretty enough when spoken. I love it in writing, but just saying it cold to someone I worry it sounds like Rin or Ren and people won't make the bird association (I think in writing the W softens the name and of course reminds of the bird).

Violet is an amazing close relative of my husband. Daughter of a prime minister and a real leader in women's politics in England. My grandfather loved purple and his racing colors were purple and white. I also love flower names so that's a close contender too

Lucy I love and so does my husband, but we had a beloved dog hit by a car 2 yrs ago named Lucy and I am not sure whether naming our daughter after her is sad and weird or a nice tribute. It's a common enough name that I hear it enough to not automatically think of my poor little dog, but she was a big part of our life.

Penelope - do you think the Penelope pig movie will have an effect on the playground? We do have a lot of little, cute, upturned noses in the family and I don't know if that is asking for it....I would have to do a nickname so maybe that would help. It's a big family name so I am trying to like it.

Cecily I also love, but is it easy enough to say? My mother says too many s sounds....but maybe that was when we were going with Cicely (sounds like sis a lee vs cess a lee). Both names are in our familys and we are not sure which spelling to go with.

Still going through names books trying to to find one that is "perfect", but as I should be going into labor any second hopefully I think the above are going to be the final choices.

TwinFoxes
12-03-2011, 09:55 AM
I've never heard of Penelope Pig, so I can't help you there.

I think Violet is very pretty, and the backstory of your DH's relative is great.

Lucy is quite popular now it seems. I like it though, as long as you can get past your sad memory associated with the name.

I think Cicely is pretty. I think of the actress Cicely Tyson. I think a lot of people may have heard the name because of her, so it's not completely unusual.

#1 for me is still Wren. I really like it, and don't think it sounds harsh at all.

Melbel
12-03-2011, 10:02 AM
I am not a fan of Maple for the many reasons posted above. Sorry!

I LOVE the name Wren, especially considering the history. I think it is a lovely name, both written and spoken. Another option is to use the name Katherine/Kathryn and use the nick name Wren.

Of the other options, I also really like Cicely and Amber. You also have a nice story behind the name Violet. Violet Wren has a nice sound to it, as does Cicely Wren.

ETA: I think I like Cecily better than Cicely after mulling it over a bit. :)

flashy09
12-03-2011, 10:14 AM
I am not a fan of Maple for the many reasons posted above. Sorry!

I LOVE the name Wren, especially considering the history. I think it is a lovely name, both written and spoken. Another option is to use the name Katherine/Kathryn and use the nick name Wren.

Of the other options, I also really like Cicely and Amber. You also have a nice story behind the name Violet. Violet Wren has a nice sound to it, as does Cicely Wren.

I also like Violet Wren and Cicely Wren. Does Violet Wren sound like a specific type of bird (well, a purple wren, lol) though?

Cecily or Cicely? We are totally torn on that one!

AnnieW625
12-03-2011, 10:28 AM
I don't care for Maple, I think of syrup. Nature wise I still tend to lead to the traditional side so I like these names:
Summer
Spring
Willow
Autumn
Aurora
Rose
Sierra
Violet

twowhat?
12-03-2011, 10:29 AM
DD2s name has been mentioned several times in this thread and it's a lovely name:)

mctlaw
12-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Flashy09, sounds like you are past your official EDD? Good luck and happy labor vibes to you! I bet the right name will come to you when you see your DD.

FWIW, I love Violet Wren or Wren Violet. I like but don't love Cicily/Cecily so I don't have a preference for either variation. I personally wouldn't do Maple because of the confusion issues with Mabel.

flashy09
12-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Flashy09, sounds like you are past your official EDD? Good luck and happy labor vibes to you! I bet the right name will come to you when you see your DD.

FWIW, I love Violet Wren or Wren Violet. I like but don't love Cicily/Cecily so I don't have a preference for either variation. I personally wouldn't do Maple because of the confusion issues with Mabel.

I was due yesterday! My last 2 scans have said 12/3 though and that's the date I thought from my own calculations (did ovulation predictor kit), but the official date from the Dr was yesterday. So either way, it's time!

I do think Cicely is a little wordy to say. Doesn't roll off the tongue quite as easily as some names, even ones that are longer.

I like Daisy too, but Violet has the family meaning and I don't know 100 dogs named it (I love dogs...not a problem, but I just hear the name all the time).

So probably Wren or Violet or Cicely/Cecily. Lucy is in the top 10 in England where we will be moving to eventually so that kind of decides me against it even though I love it.

Thanks again, I can't believe what a great response I got! Especially deciding about Maple...friends are either too nice for a real opinion and then my mother is the other extreme...came up with Elizabeth and Anne when I told her I wanted something fresh so Maple was obviously mindblowing to her, lol

JBaxter
12-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Sounds like you have a short list. Wait till little miss makes her appearance and see what she looks like.

fivi2
12-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Not a fan of Maple.

Love Violet (was on my short list.) One dd has the middle name Arden, so I like that. :)

Penelope/Poppy is cute.

Wren, I like it written, don't *love* it spoken, but it is nice. (It would be awful with our last name, so I never really considered it). I do actually know of a couple in my area.

Laurel and Linden are cute. Magnolia seems to be gaining traction in my area. I have known a couple Willows. (on the tree theme).

I like Cecily. Don't love Cicily (think of Cicero or Sicily), but I think it is fine.

heatherlynn
12-03-2011, 01:28 PM
I've only read some of the responses, but I think that if I heard a kid with that name, I'd wonder WTH is wrong with those parents? Sorry, I truly don't mean to be nasty.

What about Willow? I love that name and it's "treesy."

JoyNChrist
12-03-2011, 01:52 PM
I think Cecily is easier to say and sounds stronger than Cicely (I kind of hear "sissy" when I say Cicely).

I think Wren and Cecily should be the to contenders. Cecily Wren would be beautiful, although the more I think about it, the more I like Wren for the first name, given the story. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

FWIW, I don't like Violet, but that's just personal preference. There's certainly nothing wrong with the name and I like that it has significance.

Best of luck! :)

maestramommy
12-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Cecily is a character from "The Story Girl and other short stories." Same author as Anne of Green Gables. She's the younger sister of the King family and the a very sweet gentle soul. There's some intimation about her future being shortened, but otherwise I think the name is very pretty. Cecily Wren flows nicely too!

Good luck with the birth!!:waving4:

Kindra178
12-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Violet, Lucy and Lilah are all fantastic. I also am ok with Maple. There's a Maple in my ds1's class. There's also a Violet, Lucy and Lila in classes with my twins. I don't love Wren, but I have no idea why.

flashy09
12-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Does Violet Wren sound too much like describing a specific type of Wren?

hoodlims
12-03-2011, 06:50 PM

How often are you going to be calling her by her entire name? I hardly ever refer to my DD by her full name, so no. I think it's pretty.

flashy09
12-03-2011, 06:58 PM
How often are you going to be calling her by her entire name? I hardly ever refer to my DD by her full name, so no. I think it's pretty.

True, just about never!

tiapam
12-03-2011, 08:41 PM

You should read the picture book You'll Soon Grow into Them Titch by Pat Hutchins. Birds in the window there too.

barkley1
12-03-2011, 09:17 PM

Yes, to me it just sounds like Violet is being used as a verb to describe Wren. But.....true that you usually don't use them together, but you sometimes do.....it will be on the birth announcement, ppl ask you the ful name a lot at first, etc...

kara97210
12-03-2011, 09:59 PM
I love both Violet and Wren, but I hear the combination as Violent Wren. That being said I agree with the previous poster, I very rarely refer to my children by their full names.

Simon
12-03-2011, 10:06 PM
I think the downside of Violet is that it can sound like Violent. So, Violet Wren can sound like an angry and aggressive bird, not just a purple one.

hoodlims
12-04-2011, 12:32 AM
I think the downside of Violet is that it can sound like Violent. So, Violet Wren can sound like an angry and aggressive bird, not just a purple one.

I can't stop laughing at this. I just keep thinking about an angry, pecking bird that won't leave you alone.

lalasmama
12-04-2011, 01:53 AM
I do think Cicely is a little wordy to say. Doesn't roll off the tongue quite as easily as some names, even ones that are longer.

So probably Wren or Violet or Cicely/Cecily. Lucy is in the top 10 in England where we will be moving to eventually so that kind of decides me against it even though I love it.

Jumping in late!

I have a niece that is Cecily. One of my absolute favorite names. My niece quickly became Cici (See-see) because Cecily sounded "too grown-up" to my step-sister. One of my former patients is also Cecily. Her mom was always so impressed when I called her name and pronounced it right :) It's definitely a name you/she would have to repeat a lot to get the right pronunciation., but I still love it so much.

Wren always makes me think of the comic Baby Blues. But, I love the comic, and I'm not sure how many people would actually that line. I love the sound of it. I think it sounds enough like Bren/Brynn that it's "familiar" without being overused, if that makes sense.

flashy09
12-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Maybe I could do Violet Cecily Wren to break up the Violet and the Wren....that would give her a lot of names though

Melaine
12-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Cecily is a character from "The Story Girl and other short stories." Same author as Anne of Green Gables. She's the younger sister of the King family and the a very sweet gentle soul. There's some intimation about her future being shortened, but otherwise I think the name is very pretty. Cecily Wren flows nicely too!

Good luck with the birth!!:waving4:

Cecily is also in the Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde!

I like Cecily and Violet very much.

Melaine
12-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Maybe I could do Violet Cecily Wren to break up the Violet and the Wren....that would give her a lot of names though

I think it's beautiful!

twowhat?
12-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Jumping in late!

I have a niece that is Cecily. One of my absolute favorite names. My niece quickly became Cici (See-see) because Cecily sounded "too grown-up" to my step-sister. One of my former patients is also Cecily. Her mom was always so impressed when I called her name and pronounced it right :) It's definitely a name you/she would have to repeat a lot to get the right pronunciation., but I still love it so much.

Wren always makes me think of the comic Baby Blues. But, I love the comic, and I'm not sure how many people would actually that line. I love the sound of it. I think it sounds enough like Bren/Brynn that it's "familiar" without being overused, if that makes sense.

There's a little girl in the girls' class named Ceci, which I think is a great nickname for Cecily.

Melaine
12-04-2011, 10:00 AM
There's a little girl in the girls' class named Ceci, which I think is a great nickname for Cecily.

That is really cute!!:heartbeat:

artvandalay
12-04-2011, 10:04 AM
I know a woman named Cecily... AFAIK none of my other friends has had problems pronouncing or spelling her name. It's pronounced "Sess - ill -ee". It's a very nice name. She's the only person that I know with that name so not very common (at least in my area). I like it!.

I like Cecily Wren.

flashy09
12-04-2011, 10:07 PM
So just when I had totally gone off Maple, the original name in question, my husband and I were driving home from dinner and passed a Maple St...I pointed it out and then the VERY next street was our last name! Lol, I don't know if that is some sort of sign, but quite a coincidence..not sure whether to run with it and put the name back on the short list or just laugh and move on.