PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the basic Kindle that includes ads?

maylips
12-02-2011, 02:39 PM
I see that you can buy a $79 kindle that has "special offers" (which I'm assuming is like pandora-type ads), or upgrade without the offers for $109.

Does anyone have the $79 version and, if so, is it annoying? This is for my 70 year old MIL, so I want it to be easy for her to navigate and if she can accidentally purchase things by clicking, I'd pay the upgrade price.

TwoBees
12-02-2011, 02:44 PM
I have it. I don't find it super annoying, but a bit annoying. The TNT ads are rather loud - lots of black and white. Although I rarely see the ads because I close the cover before my Kindle goes to screen saver mode.

I'm not sure if you can buy something with a single click. When on the screen saver ad, you have to hold down the trackpad to activate the offer...I'm not sure if that takes you to a screen with more info and the option to buy or just purchases it. I could try to test it out later if you want. I could see your mom accidentally doing that to wake the Kindle from screen saver mode instead of using the tiny button on the bottom of the Kindle. I think you can go into the Amazon account and disable 1-click purchases though, although then your mom would have to enter a CC for every book purchase. You could always try the $79 version and, if the ads become a problem, pay $30 to have them turned off permanently (the price difference between the ad-supported and non ad-supported versions---you can do this in the Kindle owner's amazon account).

babystuffbuff
12-02-2011, 02:50 PM
I've had it for a month or so and it's great. The ads are only visible when the Kindle is turned off, like a screen saver, and on a small strip at the bottom of the 'home' screen (where the list of your books is) when it's on. You don't see them when you're reading. I don't find it annoying at all.

It would be pretty hard to accidentally purchase something - you have to press a button to see more information about the offer, then highlight and click on the "buy" button on the screen to make a purchase. It's a several-step process, not one-click. And I believe that if you do purchase something, you get an option to cancel if you bought it by mistake (I've only made one purchase, but I think that's what I remember).

I really love my basic Kindle and highly recommend it. :)

kboyle
12-05-2011, 10:44 PM
got one for ds1 for christmas and so far what i've played with i love it! i have the nook and i don't find the ads any more distracting than my generic or picture screen savers.