PDA

View Full Version : Another "should I accept an iPad" thread

jent
12-02-2011, 02:49 PM
So, I'm in a slightly different situation than lmh...

My dad wants to get us an iPad for Xmas. My reaction: it's a cool toy we'd get use out of-- I wouldn't have spent money on it, but I wouldn't say no either. DH's reaction: way too much money for something we don't need. (Needless to say my DH is very anti-materialism and professes that he hates Xmas for that reason.) Also, I was thinking of replacing my on-its-last-legs laptop with a MacBook Air, and DH feels that the two products are so similar, it's silly to get both. (I know, they're not, really. iPads are totally different IMHO.)

It's not a situation where my dad can't afford it. He gets us expensive Xmas gifts every year, so if we say no, he will do something else. I can easily think of suggestions for him, although I always feel weird telling someone else what to get me.

I've used iPads before, so I know how much fun they are. I'm not so keen on DD having access to a "screen" device. We have an old iPod Touch that we let her use pretty heavily when we were dealing with the chaos of our move last summer. For a little while after that, there was a time when we had to set limits on the Touch, but now it's like out of sight, out of mind. Just not sure if I want to re-introduce something that has an addictive nature like that.

For those of you who have a family iPad, tell me... do you love it? How does it get used by the entire family? Did you find yourself having to deal with limit setting?

Melaine
12-02-2011, 02:54 PM
The ipad is mine but the girls and DH do use it. We use it in the car to listen to itunes, we use it in the house to watch netflix, I use it all the time as an e-reader, DH picks it up to play a game here and there. Then there are books and apps for the kids. It's great for traveling. I love it. I actually think for a pricey gift, it's a great one because it is actually useful and doesn't take up a lot of room.

As far as limits, DDs don't ask to use the Ipad very frequently. Not every day at all, maybe 3 times a week they might mention it. They will play for 10-20 minutes and then move on to something else. We haven't spent a lot of money on apps (almost none) so it's mostly free stuff and maybe that isn't as appealing. We haven't had to limit it yet, as opposed to TV which they are way too addicted to.

wolverine2
12-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I'd take it! I also have a anti-materialistic DH who would just as soon no one ever bought anyone presents and donated all their money to a good cause.

We have an ipad because I insisted on one for a loooong flight I was doing solo with 2 kids. My kids don't think if it as the family ipad- they think of it as mine and I let them use it sometimes. We don't have any kind of regular time they are given to use it- it's entirely at my discretion. I let them watch netflix on it sometimes so it doesn't tie up the laptop. Sometimes if I need an incentive I'll tell them they can use it for 15 minutes if they do X. Sometimes I let DS1 play chess on it or educational games, but it's not like they get "x amount of ipad time" every day. My kids never expect to use it- it's like a special treat.

So I vote that it becomes yours, and you let others use it as you see fit. :)

echoesofspring
12-02-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm right there with your DH about materialism and pulling back from Christmas gifts, etc. That said, I love love love my iPad and can't think of anyone in family who wouldn't find a ton of uses for it that I haven't even thought of.