PDA

View Full Version : Updated in #6 : Dehydrated?

Indianamom2
12-02-2011, 03:13 PM
DD has the same awful stomach bug (gastroenteritis, to be specific) that I had yesterday, minus the diarrhea, at least so far. She's been throwing up about every 20-30 minutes since 9:15ish. I can tell she's about to any time now again.

She's literally moaning and crying, though I don't think there are any tears, and she's begging for a drink. I know I'm not supposed to give her anything to drink until she's done vomiting, per the doctor's orders, but I know how incredibly thirsty I was yesterday and I was severely dehydrated. She's been vomiting for about 5 hours now at this pace. At what point is it too much? Is her thirst a sign of dehydration? She's really not had any fluids since around 7 at the latest last night.

I'm just trying hard to avoid a trip to the hospital for her, but she is miserable.

Twoboos
12-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Ugh, I'm so sorry you're both going through this! I really really HATE stomach bugs!!

Could she have ice chips?

Indianamom2
12-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Ugh, I'm so sorry you're both going through this! I really really HATE stomach bugs!!

Could she have ice chips?

The nurse told us nothing until she hadn't vomited for 2 hours. At this rate, that's going to be quite a while. I hate this for her...and all of us.

gatorsmom
12-02-2011, 09:45 PM
How is your daughter doing?

megs4413
12-02-2011, 10:13 PM
if you have decent medical insurance and can afford a trip to the ER for fluids and IV anti-emetics, I would go. There's no reason to let her suffer like that, IMO. If she's not taking in anything and is continuing to vomit, she's going to be dehydrated. no way around it. rehydrating orally is possible only if the vomiting stops.

I hope she's doing better!

Indianamom2
12-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Thanks all. DD finally stopped vomiting around 3:30. She's kept down small sips of ginger ale and has been asleep for a few hours. Actually, she just woke up and wanted more to drink and says she feels "great".

This is a really weird, harsh and yet mercifully quick virus. Of course, she's going to be really sore tomorrow (like I am today) but soreness we can handle. I was prepared to take her to the ER, but she has such high anxiety that I really wanted to avoid it if at all possible. I think she's turned the corner and now I'm just hoping that we're done.

chozen
12-03-2011, 10:33 AM
that's great that she /you are feeling better, i bet that was no fun!

elephantmeg
12-03-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm glad she is feeling better today! Hugs to you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!