PDA

View Full Version : I need new Christmas music! Any recs?

artvandalay
12-02-2011, 03:19 PM
I like to buy one new Christmas album each year to add to our collection. I get bored easily if I hear repeats. Last year was the Glee Christmas album. Anything new albums that are good? Or any other favorites you'd recommend?

Thanks!

Indianamom2
12-02-2011, 03:22 PM
If you like very classic (think Bing Crosby/Frank Sinatra/Nat King Cole) style Christmas music, get the Michael Buble album. I just got it last week and have really enjoyed it. But then, I'm a sucker for the very traditional classic sounding Christmas albums!

artvandalay
12-02-2011, 03:28 PM
If you like very classic (think Bing Crosby/Frank Sinatra/Nat King Cole) style Christmas music, get the Michael Buble album. I just got it last week and have really enjoyed it. But then, I'm a sucker for the very traditional classic sounding Christmas albums!

Oh great! We've got all the old classic songs (love Bing Crosby!) but I will check out Michael Buble, thank you!

I really love all Christmas music... traditional, pop, Muppets, classic... the only band/group that I do not like is that Transiberian Orchestra or whatever it's called.... the one with all the synthesized music.

mikala
12-02-2011, 03:35 PM
The Straight No Chaser album is great if you like a cappella.

http://www.amazon.com/Straight-No-Chaser/e/B001LHJGMY/ref=ac_dpt_sa_bio

lizzywednesday
12-02-2011, 03:57 PM
...Transiberian Orchestra or whatever it's called.... the one with all the synthesized music.

Then avoid Mannheim Steamroller as well; they're all synth & light shows.

At least Trans-Siberian Orchestra uses electric guitars & pyrotechnics.

One of my favorites is the Vince Guraldi Trio album from Charlie Brown Christmas - it's mostly instrumentals, piano/bass/percussion, with a handful of vocals.

I also have two or 3 of the CBS-FM (NYC) "Ultimate Christmas Album" releases, one of which includes the Harry Harrison "May You Always": http://www.musicradio77.com/mayyou.html

More than that, I've been trying to convince my DH to make another Christmas master-mix CD this year. He's been resistant, but may come 'round.

infomama
12-02-2011, 04:00 PM
the only band/group that I do not like is that Transiberian Orchestra or whatever it's called.... the one with all the synthesized music.
Oh me, too. Can't stand it.

maestramommy
12-02-2011, 04:05 PM
I just got two for my bday :D

Yo-Yo Ma and Friends: Songs of Joy and Peace.
I have to admit the only reason I wanted it was because it has Alison Krauss singing "Wexford Carol" and it's just soul stirring. But the entire album is great. He weaves different arrangements of Dona Nobis Pacem with other Christmas tunes. Being Yo-Yo Ma of course, the renditions are funky. There's "Joy to the World" by Dave and Matt Brubeck, and Paquito D'Rivera, A Christmas Jig/Mouth of the Tobique Reel by fiddler Natalie Macmaster, and Here Comes the Sun in 3/4 time by James Taylor, to give you an idea. It's high caliber music, but so so fun to listen to.

megs4413
12-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Dave Barnes Very Merry Christmas is my favorite recent release. :0)

http://www.amazon.com/Very-Merry-Christmas-Dave-Barnes/dp/B00442FP64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322856442&sr=8-1

infomama
12-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Yo-Yo Ma and Friends: Songs of Joy and Peace.
I have to admit the only reason I wanted it was because it has Alison Krauss singing "Wexford Carol" and it's just soul stirring. But the entire album is great. He weaves different arrangements of Dona Nobis Pacem with other Christmas tunes. Being Yo-Yo Ma of course, the renditions are funky. There's "Joy to the World" by Dave and Matt Brubeck, and Paquito D'Rivera, A Christmas Jig/Mouth of the Tobique Reel by fiddler Natalie Macmaster, and Here Comes the Sun in 3/4 time by James Taylor, to give you an idea. It's high caliber music, but so so fun to listen to.

Thank You for this rec. We are big Yo-Yo Ma and Allison Krauss fans here.

rlu
12-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Christmas Gumbo - totally different from the Christmas music I grew up with but DS's favorite. His favorite from the album is Papa St. Nick is fun and catchy. My current fav is Peace in the World.

Papa St Nick on youtube (kid safe, just a picture with the song) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jtyz23dC5w

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Gumbo/dp/B001H603OO/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1322856158&sr=1-2

Some of the songs are bit suggestive, so preview first.

karstmama
12-02-2011, 04:35 PM
my sil asked for 'she & him christmas' for a gift. haven't heard it, but i bet it's roots-y & funky, because that's what she likes.

rlu
12-02-2011, 04:36 PM
my sil asked for 'she & him christmas' for a gift. haven't heard it, but i bet it's roots-y & funky, because that's what she likes.

Isn't that Zoey Deschannel (SP?)

eta: I only know her music from her cotton commercial

karstmama
12-02-2011, 04:41 PM
yeah, i think so.

maestramommy
12-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Just wanted to put a plug out there for a fellow NU alum. Sam Stryke has two Christmas albums out there now. The first one I got along with the Yo-Yo Ma album. He's a jazz pianist. This one came out in 2006 and has a white wintery looking cover. It's sorta jazzy/hint of new age renditions of classic carols. The second track is Holly and the Ivy with original lyrics he wrote, sung by Alice Peacock. I've only managed to hear the first 4 tracks (NEVER can listen to my own stuff in the car) but it's really good. I saw that he just came out with a new album and it's piano and orchestra renditions of carols.

artvandalay
12-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Oh wow guys, thanks! Defnitely getting Yo Yo Ma, thank you for the rec. Still looking at samples of all these albums you guys have mentioned.

Christmas Gumbo sounds really fun :)

And I thought I'd throw in one of my own personal favorites in case anyone is looking to pick up something new-ish

http://www.amazon.com/Hotel-Caf%C3%A9-presents-Winter-Songs/dp/B001I3TOYQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1322860424&sr=1-1

The first song (Winter Song) is hauntingly beautiful. Listen to the sample.

Jenn850
12-02-2011, 05:18 PM
If you haven't heard Harry Connick's first chirstmas album, it's not new, but it's great. I refuse to put up the tree without it blasting.

larig
12-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Check out the Now that's what I call Christmas series. They are interesting mixes of classics and contemporary popular artists. I also like this phil spector produced album. It's great party music. (http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Gift-You-Phil-Spector/dp/B000003BD7)

daisymommy
12-02-2011, 09:08 PM

After reading through the Christmas album thread last week, I bought these exact 4 albums on Amazon :) I'm hoping they'll get her tomorrow in time for putting up the tree this weekend!

Indianamom2
12-03-2011, 12:24 AM
After reading through the Christmas album thread last week, I bought these exact 4 albums on Amazon :) I'm hoping they'll get her tomorrow in time for putting up the tree this weekend!

Ok, that's funny! I have all but the Frank Sinatra (he's not really my style, but I was tempted by his Christmas album in Target the other day....you know the kind where you can press the button on the end of the aisle and listen to samples...)

Great minds think alike, right?

fauve01
12-03-2011, 02:44 AM

OT, but what christmas album thread? Will someone please link?? I'm slightly obsessed with christmas music!

OP, my holiday music hasn't been brought out yet, but i think we are putting up our decorations this weekend, so i might be able to post some. here are a couple albums we've been listening to that are on my PC:

John Denver and the Muppets
Nat King Cole--The Christmas Song

George WInston --December (the song "Joy" is one of my all time favs)
Celtic Woman-- A Christmas Celebration. i bought this one last year; lovely women's voices
Steve Tyrell--This time of Year. you might like this if you like Michael Buble'--sounds similiar to me.
Nick at Nite --Classic Cartoon Christmas. there are actually two of these albums and we listen to both. takes me back!
Danny WRight--Just Wright for Christmas. nice piano arrangements
and my fav: Jeanne Cotter --Many Snows
http://www.amazon.com/Many-Snows-Piano-Christmas-Wintertime/dp/B001B48PBU/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1322894229&sr=1-2

I'll update after we get our music out. :)

btw, I've been listening to Pandora's holiday stations--you might get some ideas there of new-to-you music. :)

sariana
12-03-2011, 12:33 PM
I love Enya's And Winter Came. I don't know how you feel about Enya in general, but I think her Christmas album is beautiful (except "Time Flies"--I'm not crazy about the guitar riffs).

I like traditional Christmas music. I got the Josh Groban album at a gift exchange a couple of years ago, and it's pretty good (except the song with the military members' voices makes me cry--DH was deployed for a year but didn't miss a Christmas).

I never have been able to find a perfect recording of "O Holy Night." Celine Dion's is pretty good, but I really would like one with the original words to both verses. (I think there actually are more verses, but two would make me happy). We have a version that has all the words, but I can't stand the singer's voice and can't understand most of the second verse.

artvandalay
12-04-2011, 03:29 PM
I never have been able to find a perfect recording of "O Holy Night." Celine Dion's is pretty good, but I really would like one with the original words to both verses. (I think there actually are more verses, but two would make me happy). We have a version that has all the words, but I can't stand the singer's voice and can't understand most of the second verse.

Have you heard Aaron Neville's rendition? We have it and I think his voice is beautiful (altho this might be the version that you have that you don't like..lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq5xoyKQKdA

mom2beofboy/girltwins
12-04-2011, 03:40 PM
I'll second Harry Conick Jrs christmas album, i think its Harry for the Holidays or something. Has 'The Happy Elf' on it. Another older one that I just enjoy continuously every year is SheDaisys christmas album. Im not the biggest country fan, but it doesnt seem country. They have a more mainstream sound like some of the current country cross over groups. Theres a few original songs and then also some really nice reinventions of classics. Def worth checking out!