PDA

View Full Version : Do you check your kindergartener's backpack every day?

smiles33
12-02-2011, 06:36 PM
I found out this morning at 6:30 am that DD1 was chosen as student of the month. The ceremony was YESTERDAY and the note specified the time she would be honored before the whole school. DD1 said she forgot to give me the note. Sigh. She came home yesterday with a nice certificate but it just said for academic achievement so I didn't think anything of it.

So am I supposed to be checking her backpack everyday instead of assuming that when there is a note (maybe 2 times in 3 months so far), she'll remember to give it to me? Do other schools/teachers ever email parents news of this sort? Her teacher already emails weekly emails re: homework and other announcements, so she definitely has my email.

Honestly, I'm annoyed at myself but also a little annoyed at DD1 and her teacher.

Edited to add: homework is assigned once/week in an email to parents and the packet is picked up once/week so I make sure her homework is in her backpack the night beforehand. We do homework everyday from my print-out of the teacher's email. We get a packet once a week of announcements (fundraisers, events, teacher's notes). Thus, there is no reason for me to check her backpack every day OTHER than for an unusual circumstance. Like I said, in three months, we have had 2 notices come that weren't in the weekly packet--1 of which was a reminder of a walkathon previously mentioned in the prior week's packet and one was for this special ceremony. I'm guessing a special ceremony like this takes more than 24 hours notice, and possibly even a week's notice in the prior week's packet would have been reasonable, but who knows? Maybe they really do wait until the day before the ceremony to pick the kids? Regardless, I will now check her backpack everyday. Thanks to everyone for letting me know that I can't assume weekly packets means that they won't slip in other random notes and that there is an assumption parents must check backpacks everyday.

ErinMC
12-02-2011, 06:40 PM
I check every day. Often there are art projects, notices, etc.
Probably 2-3 times a week there is nothing though.

mariza
12-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Yes, DS has a folder that has a "for home" side. This is where the teachers leave newsletters and such. Sorry, that sucks :hug:

stefani
12-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Yeah, unfortunately... DS in 2nd grade has a folder and an agenda where he copies what is needed to be done for the day. I still check his backpack though because sometimes I found that he forgets to take out his snack containers, etc.

A friend even said that a middle-schooler backpack still need periodic checking!

hillview
12-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Yup I check daily. When I don't I usually miss something.

buddyleebaby
12-02-2011, 06:54 PM
I check my girls' bookbags daily.

elliput
Yep. I check it everyday. My DD won't remember to tell me she has a note.

egoldber
I still check my 5th grader's backpack (although I am more subtle about it now ;) ).

*myfoursons
12-02-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm so sorry you missed that, I would be sad, too.

I do check the backpacks daily, I'm not the most organized person and it's my way of trying to control chaos.

However, I would hope for something that important, the teacher would send an email, too. I know they can't send emails for every little thing, but that seems like a pretty big deal!

cindys
I check every day because my boy would never remember to tell me anything.

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...20, 5 & 3 :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

lhafer
Yes. My DD1 has a folder with an "at home" side as well. It usually has her art work, but occasionally has reminder notices for such and such as the school, forms for me to fill out, etc.

I do not expect my 5 year old to remember to tell me stuff from school, even if it's important. And even when she remember to tell me, she usually confuses the days, so I'm never sure when stuff is exactly.

A while back she was super excited about crazy hat day. She kept telling me it was the next day...she was 3 days early. We don't get a lot of paper reminders though because our school is "green" and going paperless. So I just end up printing out the monthly school letter that has dates on it.

niccig
12-02-2011, 07:00 PM
I check every day because my boy would never remember to tell me anything.

:yeahthat: DS is in grade 1 and his teacher said they need to have more responsibility, but I would know nothing if relied on him to tell me.

sarahsthreads
12-02-2011, 07:16 PM
I check my 2nd grader's backpack every day, still.

I ask her before I do, though, what homework she has, and if there's anything important in her folder. She's getting better at remembering what's in there. But I foresee checking her backpack daily for at least a few more years...

Sarah :)

Clarity
12-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Yes, I check dd1's backpack each day when she gets home. There are frequent communications sent home to me via her backpack as well as completed work (my dd's school does wksheets in kindy), art/crafts, etc. I almost enjoy discovering what's in there each day. lol

AnnieW625
12-02-2011, 07:32 PM
yes I do.

daisymommy
12-02-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm sorry you missed it :( That totally stinks.

Yes, I do check both kids bags each night (including my Kindergartener). But thats because she comes home with so many papers, all the time, and I'm afraid of missing something. Plus otherwise it's a mess in there within 2 days. She also gets a homework sheet each night, and I clear out her lunch box and snack bag, any crumbs in there, etc.

Fwiw, my DS is in 3rd grade, and this is the first year where he *sometimes* remembers to give me important papers. Usually only things he's excited about sharing. Anything else that might be important? Not so much. But definitely not in Kindy. They're just too young.

pinkmomagain
12-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Every. Day.

jerigirl
12-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Yep. DS has a "communication folder" that has a daily behavioral report in it. Plus any notes from the teacher or work coming home is put in it.

citymama
12-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Yes, I do. Congrats on the honor and sorry you missed the ceremony. I can totally see that happening here.

g-mama
12-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Yes, I check my kindergartener's backpack every day. And my 2nd and 5th graders' backpacks, as well. ;)

My kindergartener brings home a folder each day that has to be signed indicating if he was on green, yellow or red behavior-wise. He does bring it to me almost every day but if he doesn't, I'll go looking for it.

gatorsmom
12-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Yep, I have to because he has homework to do everyday and I have tp help him with it and then check it for errors.

But if it makes you feel better, ive missed important things too by not finding them in the school bag. The most recent was a birthday invitation. Gator was none too happy. :(

Karenn
12-02-2011, 08:32 PM
I don't. Our school has a policy that all paperwork be sent home once a week. I check the weekly folder but I never look in their backpack mid week. Any thing that can't wait to be sent home until the next folder day usually goes through email. I'm sorry you missed that event. An email from the teacher would have been nice.

bigsis
12-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Yes, I check every day. That's where all the homeworks and communications are. My DS got a note yesterday that he's getting an award today.

I also file daily all the checked work that are sent home. If I wait 3 days or more, the folder will be full of ratty papers.

kristenk
12-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Yep. I checked daily when DD was in kindergarten. I still check daily for 2nd grade.

Our situation might be different, though, b/c every grade she's been in has some sort of behavior calendar that the parent is supposed to initial daily. There's also a reading log that the parent completes daily. Her binder also has a "sign and return" folder that will periodically have stuff so we're supposed to check daily.

It sounds like you don't typically have stuff like that, though. I'm sorry you missed your kiddo's special day. :(

smiles33
12-02-2011, 09:27 PM
I don't. Our school has a policy that all paperwork be sent home once a week. I check the weekly folder but I never look in their backpack mid week. Any thing that can't wait to be sent home until the next folder day usually goes through email. I'm sorry you missed that event. An email from the teacher would have been nice.

Whew, I was starting to think I was the only parent who listened/believed that I only had to check the weekly envelope the teacher sends home every Thursday. Sounds like other schools have daily packets, but ours is weekly. We download and print the homework she emails to us once/week.

Like I said in my OP, there have been 2 times in the last 3 months when something was sent outside of the weekly packet. One of them was this note and the other was a note about the walkathon. Heck, I even got an email on Monday explaining why the book bags didn't come home because of the Thanksgiving holiday.

I remained annoyed at myself and at the teacher, but it sounds like it is totally unreasonable to expect a child to remember to give me a note. I guess I will check every day now even though the "official" policy is that we have one weekly envelope.

daniele_ut
12-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Yep, I have to because he has homework to do everyday and I have tp help him with it and then check it for errors.

:yeahthat: That was true in Kindergarten at his old school and this year in first grade at his new school. They did let us know at the beginning of the year that we were expected to check the folders each day. There are 2 sides to his folder, one for items to review and keep and the other for items to complete and return.

lilycat88
12-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Yes. We did and still do for DD in 2nd. Each kid has an agenda with homework written in it and the parents have to sign each evening. She also has a homework folder and anything we should see is in it. She has a "Friday Folder" that has all graded tests, notices, newsletters, etc. but it also has a piece of paper in it we sign every week.

s7714
12-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Yes I did. But I can tell you a lot of parents don't based on what I saw when I would stuff/empty things from the communication folders while helping in both DDs K classes.

carolinamama
12-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Yes, I check DS's backpack daily. If I don't, I'm likely to miss something. DS doesn't tell me anything. He had artwork displayed at our local B&N this week and there was a little reception today. They chose artwork from a very limited number of students from the whole school so it was quite an honor. If I hadn't seen the note addressed "to the parents of DS" I would never have known since I doubt he would have mentioned it.

Corie
12-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I always check my kids' backpacks every day. (And my kids
are now ages 7 and 10.)

elephantmeg
12-02-2011, 10:19 PM
yes, we were asked to check their "bee" folder daily.

vludmilla
12-02-2011, 10:22 PM
I check every day because there is almost always something in there (her completed work sheets, art work, and sometimes notes from school).

Canna
12-02-2011, 10:28 PM
I haven't read all the replies, but DD is in 1st grade and, yes, I check her folder every day. I would have expected your DD to bring home some kind of note telling you to expect that she'd be receiving the award.

ETA: She receives a homework packet weekly on Monday, but every day something comes home - classwork, almost daily notices from school about school or community events, and there is daily reading homework in 1st grade.

Kindra178
12-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Yes, I check every day. The school has switched to a digital backpack, but somehow a ton of papers still come home. Checking everyday has been my adjustment to K!

maestramommy
12-02-2011, 10:48 PM
I check Dora's backpack every day unless I totally forget. Sometimes Dora empties it out but it's usually because she has something specific to show me. For instance, they have the Kindergarten Key Club. When your K kid can independently tell you their address and phone number they become a member. It was an ongoing 2 week assignment, and I was telling myself we needed to work on it this weekend, because Dora knows our phone but not address. She didn't even understand why we have a house number or what a zip code was. But this afternoon she immediately emptied her folder and took out a key on a ribbon, and a certificate saying she is now a member! Of course I was flabbergasted and proud as all get out, but had she just dropped her backpack and went out to play I wouldn't have known until Sunday night, because on Fridays I sorta let things slide.

alexsmommy
12-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Yes I did and still check in third grade. He'll forget to tell me things that are important to him, let alone things he's not focused on.
Sorry you missed your DD's day, but I'm sure your post will help another mom new to elementary school avoid the same situation. Kid's don't always remember that there is something important in there.

crayonblue
12-02-2011, 11:03 PM
I check everyday. Kindergarten, first grade, second grade...

fortato
12-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Yep. We have a red folder that comes home every day with "Keep" and "Return" printed on each pocket, then we have a yellow folder that comes home every Wednesday- that's the PTA and general school info. We have to sign the yellow folder each week.

chiisai
12-03-2011, 09:32 AM
DS is in Kindegarten. It is his responsibility to empty out his backpack every day, and put everything on the dining room table.

While Thursday is the Big Folder day that I sign, every day he comes home with something, drawings, crafts, school work, and yes, invitations. I go through it all with him each day after I get dinner started.

pastrygirl
12-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Yes, but only because they have a daily folder. If they didn't, I doubt I would check it every day. I just don't think to do it. As it is, I usually end up checking it in the morning when I'm packing his snack, because I have to put it in his backpack. I almost always forget to check it after he comes home from school.

SnuggleBuggles
12-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Heck ya!!! I check my 4yo's and my 4th grader's too. It's like Christmas for me every day to open their backpacks and see if there is anything interesting in there. I especially like newsletters. :) (really, I say that without sarcasm. I like having something new to read.)

The 1 day I didn't check this year I missed something important!!

eta- at ds1's school they had a weekly packet (one day for the school, one day for the class, actually). However, they sometimes sent things home not on those days- and usually those were very important, last minute things! So, I always check.

Beth

mom2binsd
12-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Yes, I check my K and 3rd graders backpack everyday, the K's have a takehome folder that usually has important notes in it, artwork etc.

kerridean
12-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Yes, I check both backpack daily the minute we walk in the door.

kedss
12-03-2011, 11:58 AM
oh yeah, I do, he has homework everyday, so I at least check his folders everyday-one day there was an announcement that school was going to end 15 mins early the following day, if I hadn't seen the note I wouldn't have known, so I always check- sorry you missed it- hugs

ilfaith
12-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Yep. I check my kindergartener's backpack...and my second grader's too. If I relied on them to provide information about what's going on in school I would know nothing. Sometimes I still miss the daily "what we did today' notes I got when the boys were in preschool. But at least when I check their backpacks, i get the important information. The teachers at their school each have a daily blog where homework assignments and other information is listed, and the school's website also features regular updates. We also get a weekly e-newsletter emailed to us. Last week all students were asked to wear a white shirt on Wednesday for a school-wide video that was being made. I must have gotten a dozen reminders, between emails from the teachers and room moms, notes in their backpacks, reminders on the website and so on.

MMMommy
12-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Yes, I check daily. DDs are in first and second grade.

Green_Tea
12-03-2011, 03:09 PM
I empty all three kids' backpacks (K, 2nd and 3rd) every day to get their lunch boxes, check their folders, make sure there's no leftover snack, look for art projects, homework, etc.

None of them (even the 3rd grader) would reliably give me notes or other important info, and I find that without daily emptying there bags fill up and get messy.

rlu
12-04-2011, 01:45 AM
Yes we do check everyday.

When DH was young he brought in duck eggs to show the class. Some of the kids took them home and that night MIL got calls asking what to feed the ducklings. If the bag quacks, check it.

mypa
12-04-2011, 02:16 AM
Things can be missed so easily like in your situation. I think this is the very reason why the kindy teachers created a teacher/parent communication folder called the "Red Folder", a great concept.

Anything the child brings home is in put in there. Parents are expected to check it daily. DS delivers mail to me (aka "Red Folder") when he gets home everyday. We made it a routine at the start of the year so I never have to check his backpack, he hands me the red folder or I remind him that I haven't gotten my mail yet.

Any homework or forms we need to sign is returned in the Red Folder.

When kids line up to go into class, they stand waiting holding their Red Folder.

A list of Star of the Week was set up at the beginning of the year and is posted online. All homework is also posted online, as well as newsletters. We do not get reminders.

Sorry this happened to you, but I can see how it can easily happen becasue of how the system is set up. It's not your fault, please don't feel bad.

BTW, I would never rely on DS to relay messages or give me reminders, that's is way too unreliable.