PDA

View Full Version : Updated: WWYD - illness and family gathering

kristenk
12-03-2011, 12:39 AM
DH's family is supposed to get together tomorrow to celebrate MIL's birthday. SIL emailed tonight and mentioned that BIL has been sick with a fever and aches for the past few days. If he's still sick tomorrow, he'll stay home while she comes and brings their 11mo.

My concern/question is if he comes. If he feels fine in the morning, but was feverish and achey this evening, would you go? Are you no longer contagious if you feel fine?

I have a staff appreciation lunch to finalize and run, a volunteer day for a teacher and who knows what else next week. I can't afford to get sick. I really, really don't want DD getting sick in the run up to Christmas.

WWYD?

Tondi G
12-03-2011, 12:42 AM
He should stay home even if he's feeling better in the morning. I actually think they should ALL stay home cause who knows, SIL and the baby could come down with the bug tomorrow evening and have exposed everyone to it!!!!

wellyes
12-03-2011, 01:05 AM
They're being thoughtful about it. Even if he is contagious, proper hand washing and hygiene should prevent transmission. I would go. I don't think the risk is so high that it is worth disappointing your DH's mom.

hillview
12-03-2011, 07:34 AM
They're being thoughtful about it. Even if he is contagious, proper hand washing and hygiene should prevent transmission. I would go. I don't think the risk is so high that it is worth disappointing your DH's mom.
:yeahthat:

JBaxter
12-03-2011, 09:31 AM

I agree. My mom worked with people for YEARS in the ER and was rarely sick. She is a fiend about had washing / hygiene.

kristenk
12-03-2011, 12:00 PM
I was just coming back to thank you all from talking me down when I got a message from SIL.

They found out that BIL has strep and the whole family has decided to stay home.

So much for my hypothetical!